How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 180 1.63%
11-40 Games 819 7.41%
41-80 Games 1,162 10.52%
81-120 Games 1,737 15.72%
121-160 Games 665 6.02%
161-200 Games 929 8.41%
200-399 Games 1,703 15.41%
400-599 Games 1,087 9.84%
600-799 Games 456 4.13%
800-999 Games 170 1.54%
1000+ Games 2,140 19.37%
Voters: 11048. You may not vote on this poll

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slayer860

02-15-2012

I had just made a post today about how much this game has changed and improved over the last year or more, almost every part of it... except matchmaking. I'm sure there's a better way of doing it and separating the good from the abysmal who are thrown in together far too often.

Thanks for doing this Lyte and your team and for reaching out to us for feedback!

Bossa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012

Your avatar is Baron with a santa hat. I'll gladly help. :O

sinfulness89

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012

Bump for answer from god

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-15-2012
8 of 173 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLOL BYE View Post
I think the Elo system doesn't work because it was based on a single player ranking system - Which League is not and has many more variables - As well as everybody starting at 1200 Elo which is not the 'Average' point, so many people who are far above this, are carrying people who are far below this and creating a level to where many players shouldn't be.
Yes, the traditional Elo system was designed for Chess and 1 on 1, so it definitely would not have worked in League's 5v5 setting. However, League's system is based on Elo--not an exact replica of Elo.

C00LST0RYBR0

02-15-2012

Dumping the elo loss onto afk/leavers would be a good start... or atleast part of it.

SnakeChomp

02-15-2012

How come everyone starts out at 1400 ELO if 1400 ELO is actually considerably high on the bell curve of player distributions? Why can't everyone start at 0 ELO? That way, people playing their 1st ranked game start out with people who are also new, as opposed to being matched against people who are "true 1400 elo" with tons of games.

Sarg338

02-15-2012

And Elo ranking like this will always be flawed, I believe, because Elo is mainly used in 1v1 games (Starcraft, Chess, etc).

All 4 people can do really good, but can lose just because of 1 person feeding, AFKing, etc.

EDIT: well... seems like I was a little late xD

TempName1543

02-15-2012

remove duo q plz im around 1750 elo and im sick of quein with low 1500s/1600s

DoughnutLad

02-15-2012

I don't really have a problem with matchmaking. My biggest problem with ranked matchmaking is when a 1600 duos with an unranked player or something along those lines. A couple days ago I played a 50 minute game that was back and forth til the end, and when it finally finished our whole team only gained +6 elo and their team only lost -6 elo because they had a 1650 duoing with someone who was unranked, and our whole team was 1300s-1400s.

No, "the button" was not enabled, it didn't give them a loss forgiven, it had to of just been because of the elo disparity that made the elo gain/loss seem like nothing. Very disappointing to finally come out victorious in that epic battle between two evenly matched teams, only to see we gained a measly 6 elo from it.

Ko Hakoo

02-15-2012

I would play ranked again if there was a new queue for people who only play solo.

I dont want to queue with friends because I wouldnt want to rage at them or let them down.
I dont want to play with a duo queue because their thought process is different than a solo (decision making biased towards their queue ally because of statement above).
I dont want to play with a duo queue who is on skype because they forget to communicate to those who are not in skype.
I dont want to play with a duo queue that demands to lane together regardless of team comp.