Ask Riven

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Riven

Senior Member

02-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyJackTheBard View Post
Riven,

I can understand why Garen and Tryndamere use gigantic swords, but why do you? Is it just the weapon you're most comfortable with?

In all Sincerity,
Summoner Spicy Jack, the Bard of Piltover
If you're implying that they use giant swords because they're overcompensating for something... Well, I can assure you I don't have any issues regarding that (as irrelevant as that may be for me).

The reason I wield such a large sword is simple. It's effective in multiple uses. If I can't slash an enemy, I can bludgeon. If I need a longer reach, I can stab. If I need to block, It's large enough to cover my body. If I need to break through a sword, shield, or armor, the weight behind my swing is usually enough to get me there. Unless it's Pantheon's shield. That thing is impossible to get through.
A good summation of the points I've made is that it's powerful. A smaller sword is silly in comparison. I've always aimed to be the strongest, and only the strongest sword can help me in that goal.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaykoboy

Senior Member

02-14-2012

((OOC, I'm writing a fanfiction where my Summoner, Jay, is trying to get Riven to go out with him. Feel free to say no.))

Riven,

Hey, sorry about being so blunt about asking you out the other day, but...after sword practice, I still wanted to see you again. Would you mind going as far out as Piltover? The place I mentioned before recently started offering jam with their biscuits.

-Jay D. McIna, AKA Jaykoboy


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Riven

Senior Member

02-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
((OOC, I'm writing a fanfiction where my Summoner, Jay, is trying to get Riven to go out with him. Feel free to say no.))

Riven,

Hey, sorry about being so blunt about asking you out the other day, but...after sword practice, I still wanted to see you again. Would you mind going as far out as Piltover? The place I mentioned before recently started offering jam with their biscuits.

-Jay D. McIna, AKA Jaykoboy
I believe I said no. Let me double-check since you seem to be so vigorously documenting your attempts to seduce me, if you can call it that.

Yes. The answer is no.

(OOC: Sorry.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mordenn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-14-2012

Do you think your wanderings will ever end? I'm aware that not all who wander are lost, but do you think there is anything in particular you are searching for? There's obviously nothing wrong with saying no, but I was curious as to whether you viewed your exile as self imposed penance or a search for meaning.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS10aa73f25589a39b94e65

Senior Member

02-14-2012

Riven,

What qualifies as "the breakfast of champions" for you?

Jax, Grandmaster at Arms


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaykoboy

Senior Member

02-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Riven View Post

(OOC: Sorry.)
((OOC: Never a problem. This'll advance it nicely. Thanks for the help!))


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

st0pb0t

Senior Member

02-14-2012

Dear Riven,

Who is your valentine, whether they are aware of your affections or not?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Shyvana

Senior Member

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Riven View Post
I appreciate your words, and your offer. But don't be offended if I don't take you up on it. Demacia is not the place for me.

To answer your question: As a half-dragon, I imagine you'd be surprised at how much a human body can accomplish. I've spent my entire life wielding larger weapons, because I feel they're much more effective. It's not so uncommon for people of my... stature to wield a longsword, and with regular training it's possible to do so with one hand (leaving the other hand open to hold a shield). Unfortunately, I can't answer your question directly, as my technique is mine alone, and I haven't shared with anyone.
I'm not offended at all, fear not. I suspected if you felt comfortable in Demacia, you'd have bought a place here already.

That said, I do wonder, where ARE you currently living? I suspect Piltover for some reason, but regardless, I'm curious. Though, if you'd rather not say, I understand.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Sona

Senior Member

02-15-2012

Hello Riven,

One would think tha wielding a blade such as yours for an extended period of time would have some effect on your arm, yet it looks no different. Is the broken version of your blade light enough to be a one-handed blade?

Sona


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Riven

Senior Member

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordenn View Post
Do you think your wanderings will ever end? I'm aware that not all who wander are lost, but do you think there is anything in particular you are searching for? There's obviously nothing wrong with saying no, but I was curious as to whether you viewed your exile as self imposed penance or a search for meaning.
My wanderings were... complicated, I guess. It was a really dark time for me. I'd rather not talk about it.

As for the future though, I feel like my journey is only halfway over. I've realized my goal, but it will take some time to make it true. I'm currently using the League to improve and hone my skills to accomplish my mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Jax View Post
Riven,

What qualifies as "the breakfast of champions" for you?

Jax, Grandmaster at Arms
I've actually become quite good at cooking in my travels. You pick up some knowledge when staying with people, and with being forced to scavenge every now and then, you learn a bit of creativity as well!

My favorite breakfast is fish and eggs, with a healthy portion of stir-fried vegetables. It's got a lot of protein, and is still healthy enough while tasting amazing. I try not to have it too often though, as its a little fatty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ętherwrack View Post
Dear Riven,

Who is your valentine, whether they are aware of your affections or not?
Sorry, that's a secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Shyvana View Post
I'm not offended at all, fear not. I suspected if you felt comfortable in Demacia, you'd have bought a place here already.

That said, I do wonder, where ARE you currently living? I suspect Piltover for some reason, but regardless, I'm curious. Though, if you'd rather not say, I understand.
I spend the majority of my time at the League residences. I have everything I need here, and protection from any Noxian bounty hunters that target deserters. Not that I'd need the protection. They're just annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Sona View Post
Hello Riven,

One would think tha wielding a blade such as yours for an extended period of time would have some effect on your arm, yet it looks no different. Is the broken version of your blade light enough to be a one-handed blade?

Sona
There are actually two reasons for this.

The first is that I'm actually ambidextrous. I train with both arms regularly, so there wouldn't be any noticeable difference in muscle size. My right arm is a little stronger, so I use it more frequently. But if it were to be damaged in any way, I wouldn't be useless in a battle.
The second is just the way I train. You'll often see soldiers and bodybuilders that are really bulky, thinking that they're going to use all that extra bulk in some way. For me, I feel it would just get in the way, so I've developed a routine that will keep me in shape but not needlessly toned. I don't need to out-power an opponent myself. I have my sword for that.
Actually, there could be a third reason, but I'm not entirely convinced it's true. I've been told before that it's just the way my body works, what with my smaller stature. That my muscles only grow to a necessary point, and fat isn't stored in the same way. It seems a little too good to be true though.