Entry Level, Mid-Level and Leadership Roles in Game Design @ Riot

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain Xae

02-08-2012

Zileas,

I have almost enough points to apply for an assistant game designer position, and actually will once I graduate college. I'm currently a sophomore right now, and I'm looking for semester or summer internships at Riot. On the internship page (http://www.riotgames.com/careers/internships), it says "For more information on open internship opportunities, please check our job listings page." However, on the actual job listings page, and in fact for all of the job descriptions that I have checked, it doesn't have any additional information, or anything at all in regards to available internships. Are there any upcoming internships available in the design department, and if so, what requirements do i need to meet to apply?

Cheers, and thanks in advance,
Xae

TheBurritoBaron

02-08-2012

Hi Zileas,

I am a Senior in college, about to graduate with a degree in English. I have a strong love of writing, lore, and League of Legends. Recently, my eye has been caught by your Creative Design position. The thought of working on lore for LoL is quite enthralling (to say the least), and being rather sad at the lack of lore Riot has been putting out, I think I would be a strong addition to the Riot team.

I meet all of the qualifications listed at http://www.riotgames.com/careers/creative-designer but, I am still wondering if I am qualified enough for this position. I noticed that on a job seeking website there was a post for a Creative Design intern position and it had a more detailed list of what you are seeking. Based on that list, I currently have 5 points but i want to do everything I can to increase my eligibility. I am a very experienced gamer with countless hours spent both online and off. My elo is usually in the 1300-1400 range and I am working on getting up to the 1400-1500 range. In regards to writing, I have worked as a journalist and essay writer for different publications, have written many stories, and I have done grammatical editing/story work for several games and mods. Besides writing, I also have 6 years of experience as a ski instructor and I am a national level racer with multiple 2nd-3rd places finishes at national championships. Working as a teacher for so long has given me strong social and teamwork skills. I have just begun my networking strategy, primarily utilizing LinkedIn to get in contact with current and former Riot design staffers. I also play League with a Riot employee from another department.

The funniest part about all of this is that I feel my most eligible quality is in my breadth of pen and paper rpg experience. I am a seasoned game master and I have created many worlds, campaigns, and characters with detailed lore and history. I have also modded other systems and made my own. I think that my creativity and ability to design within a system would really show through here but I am also somewhat concerned because I have much more traditional game experience than video game experience.

So based upon all of that, I would like to ask you what else I can do to improve my eligibility and if you think I should apply for the creative design position or an associate position. I also think I am well suited for the associate editor position but, I really want to apply for the creative designer job.

Thank you,

Erik

PS: Would it be alright for me to email you with further questions?

TheBurritoBaron

02-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain WTF Xae View Post
Zileas,

On the internship page (http://www.riotgames.com/careers/internships), it says "For more information on open internship opportunities, please check our job listings page." However, on the actual job listings page, and in fact for all of the job descriptions that I have checked, it doesn't have any additional information, or anything at all in regards to available internships. Are there any upcoming internships available in the design department, and if so, what requirements do i need to meet to apply?

Cheers, and thanks in advance,
Xae
I have also been confused by this.

Mirror

02-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfo13 View Post
Getting a Ph.D soon with strong quantitative skills. Also created Enfo's Team Survival-- a WC3 Map back in the day. Put in my application as an assistant designer last week. Would love to do live balance by analyzing data Either that or work on a PvE Survival mode.

Also attend UCLA so I'm literally a few blocks away from Riot.
I loved you

can't believe he doesn't have at least 70 upvotes

MinaAnim

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2012

Zileas, Riot, what's going on with the mail servers?

Jabufu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2012

Hey Zileas, I'm about to submit but I have one question.

On the requirements page (http://www.riotgames.com/careers/ass...-game-designer) it says to submit resume/coverletter and the following four documents - but then it only lists three documents:

- list of qualifications
- 250 word analysis of a popular game OR 250 word analysis of a LoL mechanic/champion (signified by the word "alternate")
- 10 favorite games of all time

It also asks for LoL summoner name and realm, but that seems a little light to classify as a document. Can you (or someone else that's party to the applicant assessment process) please clarify?

Thank you,
Jabufu

Provile

02-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
That's what the assistant game designer role is.
What kind of college credentials would you like to see in that internship role, if any?

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-08-2012
64 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaAnim View Post
Zileas, Riot, what's going on with the mail servers?
Is it still not working? I'd resend...

Protease

02-08-2012

Most students would doodle pictures when they got bored in class.

I would be writing character classes, skill sets, base stats and damage values for my theoretical MMO that will never see the light of day. And you're telling me people get paid to do that? Applying for this.

(Currently a grad student in Biochemistry---can only imagine the look on my PI's face when I tell her I'm considering this. Maybe I should just keep it secret...)

TheBurritoBaron

02-08-2012

Are the mail servers working again?