[Guide] Ahri, the Burning Beauty

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xSmithx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

Welcome to my Ahri guide, im xSmithx and i will give you advice on how to play Ahri.
I wasnt sure if she was a good champžon after her nerf, but when i played her then, i realized
that she is still viable, a LOT viable. Of course, she's an awesome champion that is worth buying. Learning how to play with her isn't that hard, but Mastering her takes some time and practice. Well, let's start with it.

1) The Champion itself : Who's Ahri?

Well. Ahri is a melee DPS champion that gets to be too awesome in jungling. Nah, just kidding. She's a nice AP champion, that has 9 tails (duh), And has a nice burst with her abilities, which dont have too big Cooldowns. About Teamfights, she depends in her team a little, as she can attack 3 people at a time while dealing a decent damage to them , but not 5. She's good at Mid lane (I prefer playing her in there), but she can also go duo lane, if needed. Sheís good in solo top, too, because of her passive, which gives her some durability. Letís start with her abilities.

2) Ahri's Abilities

Passive: Soul Eater.Whenever Ahri hits an enemy with an ability, she gets a stack. Each spell can give 3 stack maximum. When she has 9 stacks, her next spell will have 35% Spell Vamp. Now, this is a good passive that will help you to sustain yourself a little more in your lane. BUT, you need to know that this wont heal you for half HP. This is only a little heal that will help you whenever you get harassed or so. But still it's a good passive that you should keep in mind when you're playing. By the way, you should know 2 things:
∑ When you get that 9 stacks, your orb gets green.
∑ If you cast any spell with your passive But you dont hit any enemy, the passive wont waste. Which means that it will only trigger if you hit at least 1 enemy.

Q: Orb Of Deception. Ahri throws her orb towards target location, dealing magic damage, and then pulls it back, dealing true damage. Now this is pretty nice. If you've played sivir, it's basically the same boomerang ability, but with some differences. First of all the damage will be the same no matter how much enemies you hit, which means that the damage doesnt get reduced. This is pretty awesome for getting Soul Eater stacks and harassing the enemy. The best way to harass with it would be hitting the enemy at the very end of the spell's range, so they can not avoid it, but as they would be farther they could realize it and move away. The bad part is that it doesnt deal THAT much damage until late-ish game, but it's very good for harassing and teamfights. By the way, let me remind you that, in the way back, it deals TRUE damage. Enough said. The damage number is the same in both ways, as the base damage and AP scale is the same for both. This wont deal too much damage, as said before, until late-ish game, so you're gonna max it last.

W: Fox-Fire.
Ahri summons three fox fires around her that will lock and deal magic damage to enemies that get in range, prioritizing champions. Damage is reduced is an enemy is hit multiple times. Now, let me think... THIS IS AWESOME. First of all, they're 3, Which is pretty helpful in teamfights as well. Second, it has a biiiiig range. So you can pretty much harass with it, as it auto locks champions. Third, on hit effects like Rylai's Cristal Scepter apple for each fire, meaning that you can slow multiple targets. Just a too handy ability. This is gonna be your main source of damage, so you're maxing it first.

E: Charm. Ahri blows a kiss in the target direction. If it hits an enemy, they will be dealt magic damage, and will both harmlessly walk towards ahri and be slowed for the duration. Well, if you have been reading this, you know this sinchronizes too well with her other 2 abilities. Charm 'em, throw your Q and then finish off your combo with your Fox-Fire. This is also good for chasing champions that are running away, or even for running away, as they will still run towards you, but they'll be slowed. The slow also stacks with Rylai's. The duration goes from 1 second to 2 seconds. Itís awesome because you can lure them into your turret when their minions are not between you and the poor guy thatís against you. The bad thing is, if they're staying behind your minions (you should when laning against Ahri, so you dont get pwned), you wont be able to charm them. Very very useful spell tho.

R: Spirit Rush. Ahri dashes to target location, dealing magic damage to 3 nerby enemies as well. Spirit rush may then be used two more times over 10 seconds before going on Cooldown. This is what makes ahri a OMGWTFGETPWNED champion. You have THREE DASHES, which have a decent range, can go through walls, and both 3 deal a decent amount of damage. Epicly good for chasing, escaping, and do random things in teamfights. Just dancin' around them with ult. 3 dashes. Enough said.

1)b) Some extra things to be said about Abilities...

∑ Your combo at any point of the game remains the same: Charm, Orb of Deception, Fox-Fire, ult if needed. Which means E,Q,W,R if needed.

∑ Fox-Fire hits 3 times, what means 3 stacks for your passive. You can get 3 stacks with your Q also, if you throw it at minions, meaning that you can get your passive pretty fast, if you cast Fox-Fire once more. Plus, ult hits 3 targets, and is used 3 times, thich means that ulting 3 times will automatically charge up your passive if you hit 3 enemies all the times.

∑ As Ahri doesnt have too big mana costs (Around 60-90, if im not wrong, i cant remember now), you can farm your passive and harass pretty well, but care not to get oom early game.

∑ 3 DASHES.

2) Masteries, Runes, and Summoner Spells.

Okay, this is the masteries and Summoner Spells section, not too much to say in here.
Lets get to it.

As for masteries, i pick 22/0/8 , because the Offensive tree gives more bonuses to Ahri than the Utility one, imo. I pick the following:

In the offensive one, i get:
1/1 Summoner's Wrath
4/4 Mental Force
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Arcane Knowledge Basically, all that gets to be useful for a mage.
3/3 Havoc
4/4 Blast
4/4 Archmage
1/1 Excecutioner

In the defensive one, nothing. In the Utility one, i get:
1/1 Summoner's Insight
3/3 Expanded Mind
4/4 Swiftness

Expanded Mind, because Ahri doesnt have the biggest mana pool in the game, and as for being a mage, you need mana for casting, and Swiftness because you arent the fastest champ either, and more MS is good for basically everything; chasing, escaping, going back to lane.

RUNES

Keep in mind the general concept: Ahri is a bursty AP mage champion. Like so, runes are pretty similar to others. I get the following ones:
Marks: Greater Mark of Insight (Magic Penetration).
Seals: Greater Seal of Resilience (Armor)
Glyphs: Greater Glyph of Insight (Magic Resistance)
Quintessences: Greater Quintissence of Potency (Flat AP)

With these runes, i look forward to getting some durability with Armor and MR, as your defence gets pretty high with these. Then, Magic Penetration reds give me some more Penetration apart of Sorcererís boots and Void Staff. To put it simpler: Magic Penetration is the same as saying More Damage. Last, Flat AP Quintessences give me the little more damage i need for Early game. With all this, i get a little more beefy and get to hit harder. Plus, as you will eventually happen to be the teamís carry, you will get focused if the other team has fight awareness, so getting more bulky is good for you,

As for Summoner Spells, i get Flash and Ignite.
As for being a bursty AP champion, Ignite may help you to get that escaping kill with 10 HP, and Flash is always good for closing that gap in between. Yea, you have 3 dashes, but theres something called CD :P. Plus, i prefer flash over Ghost because of going through walls, and because slows wont reduce the effect, unlike Ghost. Anyways, if you like it, you can always get whatever you like, i guess.

3) In-Game Items and Skill Order

If you scrolled down here, go a little more further down. If not, awesome. Well, Ahri isnt too different as most bursty champions, so the builds are pretty much the same. There are some different items you can get with her, but i prefer this one.

I prefer getting a Dorans Ring for starting up, because it gives some more mana, some AP, some HP. Shorter, gives the durability you want for starting up. By the way, you shouldnt be diving in for first blood, so you may think its kind of useless, but remember that, the more damage you deal with your abilities, the higher amount you heal with Soul Eater.

Then, start building a Catalyst the Protector and get basic boots. More HP, more Mana, some MS. Also, if you have some spare gold in there, buy 2 or 3 HP pots if you think you may need em. In most cases, you should get them anyways, just in case. You never know.

After you got this, build a Rod of Ages as fast as you can. Once you finish it, get Sorcerers Shoes. Why? Well. A Rod of Ages should be built as fast as possible because it takes time to "level up" and give you some more Mana, HP and AP. If you do not know why are you getting that boots, plz get out of my guide. Joking. Because they give some Magic Penetration (Oohh, Penetration.) which will make you deal some more damage.

Once you do this, get a Morellos Evil Tome. Some more AP, some CDR, some Mana Regeneration. With this, you shouldnt be getting oom (Out of mana) at any point of the game. You arent going for max CDR, but still having some for Spirit Rushís cooldown. Not really necesarry, but never bad. And well, of course, some more AP.

By this point, you may choose what you want to build first. If youíre faceraping and you just need to hit more to GG the game, get a Rabadonís Deathcap. Some awesome AP + 30% of it added as extra. Awesome.
If you think you would need some more survivability first, get a Rylaiís Crystal Scepter. Some good AP, again, plus some good HP to make you survive longer, plus an AWESOME slow. Why do i call it that awesome? Well. Each unit you hit with Q, gets slowed, If you hit someone 3 times with your W, they get slowed 3 times (Not stacking, but the slow timer gets refreshed). Whenever you ult, all 3 units get slowed, and slowed again if you ult again, and again if you ult for the third time. 3 DASHES. Again.
Quick note, if you dont have to prefer one over the other and it is a weird game, i would get a Rylaiís first.

Now, your final item. Youíre getting a Phantom Dancer because you may crit. Nah, joking again. If they have someone whoís tanky (In basically every game), get a Void Staff, as youíre getting some more AP and tons of Magic Penetration, being it a percentage of 40.

If youíve finished your build, get a Blue Oracle, then a Red one, then a Green one. Feel free to buy an oracle between these, but get Blue before. AP and some more CDR. Anyways, unless they have a stealth champion or youíre in a ranked game or so, Oracle isnít really worth it in most cases, as most people donít place wards in Normal Games.

So, your final build will look like this:
Sorcererís Shoes
Rod of Ages
Morelloís Evil Tome
Rylaiís Cristal Scepter
Rabadonís Deathcap
Void Staff

Now, talking about Skill Order:

Well, not too much to explain, this is tha answer to the "What do i level up first?" question.

Get a point in Q at level 1 and leave it there. It wonít be too useful until Late Game.
In level 2, get Fox-Fire and take it to level 5 as fast as you can, being that Level 9. Because this is your main source of damage, just because of that.
In level 3, you should get Charm so you now have all your basic abilities and try to combo. Leveling this up is more important than Orb of Deception (Q) Because the duration of the "taunt" gets larger. You have just realized the rest of the reasons.

Focus in leveling up Fox-Fire, then max your Charm Second, Get your Q to level 5 last, and, of course, get your ult, Spirit Rush, whenever you can.

Which means, your skill order goes like this: R>W>E>Q.

4) Game Phases: How to play as Ahri in íem.

Early Game: Get your Doranís and head to lane. I think Iíve said it before, but try to pick Mid lane if you can. If not, well, go duo lane, not too much option. You actually CAN go solo top with Ahri, sheís pretty good at it, as she has a way to Spell Vamp and her mana costs arent huge either.
Like all champions, try to last hit minions, play safe, try to harass with your opponent with Q. When you get fox fire, run towards then and turn it on. The fire will lock on them, dealing some nice damage. If youíre wondering is it is good against burst champions like LeBlanc, well, i played against one in mid, and i dealt more damage with my combo that her with hers. If youíre in 10 HP and you still have mana, RECALL . Play safe, your passive is not going to recover half of your hp that easily. Remember you can still get hit by minions or get ganked.

Mid Game: Well, youíre starting to get some light on you now. If your opponent overextends and you have your ult out of CD, try to Charm them. If you do, unleash your Fiercesome (lol) combo. If they get low, ult them three times and ignite. YOU HAVE SLAIN AN ENEMY! . If your opponent is chasing you and he is around half HP, try to charm them (You should always do when running away, anyways). If you land it, try to combo them with ult, juke around bushes, you know. I have killed half HP champions with 150 HP like this. Spirit Rush is awesome. Mostly for juking while they keep getting lower and lower. 3 DASHES.

Late Game: If the game gets to this point, go GG it. With your full combo you should be able to bring people down epicly fast. Plus, keep harassing with W whenever you can, it has a 5 second CD in level 5. In teamfights, dash with Spirit Rush around everyone after comboing the squishy ones. Once you have done this, Fox-Fire will be out of Cooldown again. Use it again. In here the fight should have ended already. If you lost, feel free to flash away. With your build finished, you will be above 550 AP, which means you will be hitting like a truck. If your team isnt that bad, you should push all 5 in mid, and end the game. GG.

5) Closing.

Thanks for tuning in, to Ahri Champion Guide. Please suscribe.. Nah, joking once more. Thanks for reading my guide, which i made only because sheís a new champ, which means there are basically no guides yet, and because i LOVED playing with her. Please give the guide a Thumbs Up so i can know if you liked it, or not. Any Feedback in the comments will be appreciated. Thank You.

xSmithx

xSmithx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2012

Bump

xSmithx

02-04-2012

Bump

xSmithx

02-09-2012

Bumpitity Bumpitity Bump.

BTripp

02-09-2012

Most mids should go boots/3 for the extra sustain and easier dodging skillshots unless they have targeted harass and even then the 3 pots help out since you can't dodge the skill.

Just a little tip.

Landonpeanut

02-10-2012

I have several small disagreements with this build, but most of it is merely subject to preference.

There is however, one major issue that I would like to bring up: Taking Summoner's Wrath in the Offense tree only gives 5 AP & 5 AD while it is on cooldown, which is not all that useful. However, in the Utility Tree, 1 more point will the 20% increase in buff duration, which is rather important for an AP Carry to have.

Other than that, I only feel that, because of the way that her firefox/ultimate works, spellvamp is something that is remarkably good on her.

Just some thoughts.

xSmithx

02-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landonpeanut View Post
I have several small disagreements with this build, but most of it is merely subject to preference.

There is however, one major issue that I would like to bring up: Taking Summoner's Wrath in the Offense tree only gives 5 AP & 5 AD while it is on cooldown, which is not all that useful. However, in the Utility Tree, 1 more point will the 20% increase in buff duration, which is rather important for an AP Carry to have.

Other than that, I only feel that, because of the way that her firefox/ultimate works, spellvamp is something that is remarkably good on her.

Just some thoughts.
Well, as i said before, i prefer taking the Offensive tree because of the extra AP. About the 20% increased buff duration (you only care about blue with Ahri), you ton't happen to need it with my build, as you will have a lot of mana, and mana regen.
And about Spell Vamp, any team with fight awareness will focus the carry (you) first, so my build is focused in "nuking"; dealing as much damage as you can. Plus, if you pretty much play safe, you don't happen to need SV that much.

xSmithx

02-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTripp View Post
Most mids should go boots/3 for the extra sustain and easier dodging skillshots unless they have targeted harass and even then the 3 pots help out since you can't dodge the skill.

Just a little tip.
Not really. A Doran's Ring gives you extra survivability, some mana regen, and some AP.
As of dodging skillshots, you can always stay behind your minions. If it's something like Ahri's Q or Karthus's Q, there's more ways to dodge them than moving faster, like "juking" the skillshot. It's not that hard to do.
Plus, if you get too much harassed, whichever the reason is, you can always recall, and ask your jungler for a hold. In any case, if you play a little agressive, you can always zone them, if you have some experience with skillshots.
TL;DR: If you're only getting boots for dodging, getting a Doran's is more viable, as you can dodge Sshots by other ways.