Warwick could use some love@Riot anyone?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rezspiration

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthalis View Post
Modernize him? Bring his kit up to par with current release champs? How many new champs would have an ability like WW's e? Newer champs have on demand move speed buffs that do other things, EG Shyvana, Skarner.
If anything don't change anything on the kit and add something, E has passive movement speed buff like Gang plank's raise moral except keep his E as a toggle. W passive AS. I think that would bring him up to decent by others standards. Though at the same time don't want him being FotM either.

Spookin

02-03-2012

I just feel like his jungle is so slow right now. His ganks and lategame are about the same as they've ever been but the time it takes him to get through one jungle clear is ridiculous.

Stormblind

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookin View Post
I just feel like his jungle is so slow right now. His ganks and lategame are about the same as they've ever been but the time it takes him to get through one jungle clear is ridiculous.
It largely comes down to not having any aoe, nor any real damage boosts in his kit. Xin Zhao has something similar buildwise, but he doesnt run into the problems warwick does due to low mana costs, damage bonuses on his Q, and passive attack speed buffs.

They'd need to give him additional damage, passive attack speed, and some sort of gap closer for him to be viable.... that's not just tweaks, thats a complete overhaul.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-03-2012
5 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuPhalian View Post
So out of curriosity, how are you increasing his jungle speed? Are you adding an AoE to one of his abilities? Having his W give a passive AS buff? Having his E give a passive MS buff? You could possibly give him a form of light CC to let him gank pre-6. Or is it something else? When can we expect to see these new tweaks?

Sorry about all of the questions, I am just excited. It's like Christmas is comming early for Warwick.
Mostly in his early damage, so while still a slower-than-AOE jungler, not criminally slow like now (kill creeps faster via damage).

We're not doing massive overhauls or reworks here, just balance updates with this goal in mind.

GrimoireM

02-03-2012

An easy change that would help quite a bit would be to make his passive heal half as much on creeps, but deal bonus magic damage based on the amount healed. It's all he really needs for clearing ability.

Stormblind

02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimoireM View Post
An easy change that would help quite a bit would be to make his passive heal half as much on creeps, but deal bonus magic damage based on the amount healed. It's all he really needs for clearing ability.
Here's my question, how do you do that without basically destroying what makes him even a LITTLE bit viable now: The ability to just stay in the jungle forever. Literally, he never has to leave without external influences, and even then.. he still doesnt have to leave most of the time.

GrimoireM

02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormblind View Post
Here's my question, how do you do that without basically destroying what makes him even a LITTLE bit viable now: The ability to just stay in the jungle forever. Literally, he never has to leave without external influences, and even then.. he still doesnt have to leave most of the time.
Current Warwick doesn't need armor or pots to sustain against small camps, with or without runes, and that is actually a problem in his kit. Currently he lacks the DPS to deal with them fast enough, so giving him an on-hit effect to deal additional damage is ideal, but if he has strong clear times and strong sustain, he'll become invulnerable in the jungle. It also helps lanewick push and last hit his wave before it gets too big, while preventing him from just sitting there and tanking around 15 creeps without taking some damage. Trading off some sustain from his passive is worth the sacrifice, and encourages him to take the tank runes and masteries he wants to take despite his jungle issues. He can still sustain well, particularly when dueling champions with this change, which I felt was more important to his kit then being able to ignore creep damage.

To sum it up, what he gains is better then what he's losing, with this minor change. His mana pool still needs some work, but jungle warwick won't worry about it as much.

RyuPhalian

02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Mostly in his early damage, so while still a slower-than-AOE jungler, not criminally slow like now (kill creeps faster via damage).

We're not doing massive overhauls or reworks here, just balance updates with this goal in mind.
It sounds like you guys are just finishing up this Warwick update. Would we be able to expect it soon (as in next couple patches) or atleast within the month?

RadiantWings

02-03-2012

When you say passive... What exactly do you mean? His innate that deals 0 damage? You said "W or his passive", so it's either Eternal Thirst or Bloodscent.

Does this mean that Eternal Thirst is going to deal damage? Given that you said something about lowering his sustain, I'm guessing this is the case. And on that note, that is pretty significant given his attack speed builds.

Unless you meant turning half of W into his passive and just lowering his innate to compensate

LtFinnDiesel

02-03-2012

Morello do you have any timeline for when these buffs are going to happen? I love WW but everything he does Skarner does better. I really wanna play my favorite lycanthrope again without feeling like a bit of a dead weight : /