@Xypherous/Morello: Orianna Needs Help

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PVPMaiMai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2012

First bump of the day, and it's already the evening. ;_; I'm sowwy! I'm letting you guys down. XD

Flipsy

01-31-2012

humpty bumpty bumped a thread.

Rashidas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2012

Another patch..........another round of zero buffs

Le sigh

SadisticPacifist

01-31-2012

bump

Cether

01-31-2012

I bought the RP bundle. I didn't regret it, she was an amazing champion. Then they nerfed her into non-playability.

I haven't bought a release bundle since.

Morello

Lead Designer

01-31-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

I think the zoning potential of Orianna getting hit made her more manageable to play against, but also took the edge off her. I'd like to get back to this again, though I think with her different play pattern, some of the concerns you bring up are fine (WotA not being as good on her is not a problem, imo).

I don't think she's trash, but I do think you have to work pretty hard to not get something special out of her currently, where this is not true with other mage pics that are more sideways-comparable (Casseopia, Anivia). This is something we'll be trying to solve, though timeframe is not set there...a lot of that depends on how effective our initial set of changes are.

ObscureClockwork

01-31-2012

No way! A red post!

i actually find that when i play orianna, WoTA, even with its lack of efficiency on orianna, is much needed. For one, i am outranged by most of the ap mids i tend to go against, so in the chance (which should happen) they are on equal skill level or higher on me, they will harass me easier. Champions like Ahri and Xerath can harass then land a devastating combo from a farther range without setup (though with setup, orianna can maintain distance) Wota allows me to recover back some of the health from minion waves, as well as damaging enemies. If the enemy i play against knows about orianna, i dont get much of a chance to set up my ball at the farther position.

the problem that exists now, i think, is that more mages with long ranges do exist now (975 range charm, who knows how much range arcano pulse + locus. Viktor death ray) that there is a gap between the shorter range mages and the longer ones. Also, sustain mages like kennen and vlad also makes non-sustain mages feel the hurt more.

what i do think is good though, is the clockwork windup, which allows me to deal good damage to enemies. but while it may be effective against shorter range mages, i am outranged both ways by other mages (mainly the popular ones atm)

as it stands, i think, while i can do well with orianna (and i have), i think the most important change you can make for orianna is allowing her to still be effective (to an extent) against these longer range mages. While she may have once (before her nerfs) been able to dominate the lane, the introduction of new mages with these longer ranges give trouble to the current orianna. while she does not need a range buff, she needs some way to deal with longer range mages. (like when i play cass, the DoT allows me to keep that going, after they step out of range, or the mana cost reduction allows me to manage mana more effectively during harass, or when i play anivia, the egg as well as long range stuns allow me to counter the longer range mages).

i, for one, dont think she needs range buffs (they would be nice, but she doesnt seem to need it imo) and mana buffs would be pretty unfair to lux imo (both are utility mages, with rather high costs).
also, ball speed buffs would probably throw me off in the use of her ball, and i wouldn't like it at first (though long term, it may help) i also find it easier to use the ball to harass under the turret and set up, due to its long travel time.

i actually would like to see autoattack range increase most of all, allowing her to have a easier time harassing. her autoattacks do really bring her to the normal mage damage, but its range and orianna's squishiness does act as a deterrent to it. While lux may have this problem, lux has a snare, and a high base damage proc, which lets her poke with it.

Chips and Tea

01-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think the zoning potential of Orianna getting hit made her more manageable to play against, but also took the edge off her. I'd like to get back to this again, though I think with her different play pattern, some of the concerns you bring up are fine (WotA not being as good on her is not a problem, imo).

I don't think she's trash, but I do think you have to work pretty hard to not get something special out of her currently, where this is not true with other mage pics that are more sideways-comparable (Casseopia, Anivia). This is something we'll be trying to solve, though timeframe is not set there...a lot of that depends on how effective our initial set of changes are.
A mana cost tweak here and there, a range tweak here and there, maybe a little ratio buff on the shield or W...plz?

CrazyBear

01-31-2012

Quote:

I think if you made her ball travel faster that would help a lot, right now it just feels so slow.

Seanmadze

01-31-2012

Quote:

your just stupid, its cool... you over nerfed her so hard