Hey Xypherous, how do you feel about your own champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DatOneBrutha

01-31-2012

Specifically, Orianna. Some say she's OP, most say she's UP. How do you feel about her current meta?

As well, how do you feel about her lore? I ask because, in being completely enthralled by her design in and out, I find myself exploring more than just her combat utility, and in plotting custom fan-work for her I want to make sure that I have her original designer's thoughts on the matter.

I dunno if this'll even reach you, much less if you'd respond, but I am curious, so I might as well try.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

01-31-2012
1 of 4 Riot Posts

Orianna right now might be a little weak in most player's hands, but there's some UI things that are coming in 2 or 3 patches from now that will help players out. We have someone working on improved targetting UI for more complex skillshots and such, so you can get a much better feel for where the ball is and such.

As to her lore, I think it's fairly compelling - although the core problem kind of remains - It's kind of a niche character on a niche concept - so when you cross the two, you kind of run into accessibility issues. Dancer + Mechanical Doll + Undead Vibe = Niche on Niche on Niche. Also, thematically, she's clearly visually Piltover Tech (Arcano-Hex-Tech Crazy/Utopian) but her influences and her motivations are clearly more like Zaun (Mad Experimentation / No respect for life or death).

It's definitely a cool crossover, but I don't think most players know what Piltover is, so as a hybrid character between Piltover visuals and Zaun motivations, I think her timing of release is a little confusing from a overall lore perspective. To use a Magic analogy, Orianna is probably Blue/Black/White - but we haven't really defined what Blue is or what Black is, so having such a prominent Blue/Black hybrid doesn't help players understand Blue, Black or her. (And her creator is probably Blue/Red - Even more confusing.)

Overall, she sets out to do what I wanted, design-wise - A character who is very difficult to master and offers the potential for a very different gameplay experience. I think the game is better for her being in it - even if it's a character who is fairly obscure and a niche pickup.

NessOnett

01-31-2012

Salce is still playing her to much success on a high profile team in high profile scrims and matches.

She can't be completely useless.

darlin X

01-31-2012

nerf cass

Fisherman Fizz

01-31-2012

First response. I think this reached him.

Pebbywebby

01-31-2012

Orianna was the first champ I insta-bought and I played her mid for a couple weeks nonstop. Still love her so much. I'm looking forward to seeing the UI changes.

Yuukyou

01-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessOnett View Post
Salce is still playing her to much success on a high profile team in high profile scrims and matches.

She can't be completely useless.
I watched a few scrims from Nhat's stream where Salce played her and, despite getting ganked multiple times in lane he proceeded to carry with her. Inspired me to get better with her.

MoSBanapple

01-31-2012

I personally think that the premise of Orianna's lore could be adapted to a novel, and it would be pretty good (Person dies in tragic accident, a robot is designed to replace said person but doesn't seem to fit in.)

ImpossibleGT

01-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
It's definitely a cool crossover, but I don't think most players know what Piltover is, so as a hybrid character between Piltover visuals and Zaun motivations, I think her timing of release is a little confusing from a overall lore perspective. To use a Magic analogy, Orianna is probably Blue/Black/White - but we haven't really defined what Blue is or what Black is, so having such a prominent Blue/Black hybrid doesn't help players understand Blue, Black or her. (And her creator is probably Blue/Red - Even more confusing.)
Wait... does this mean you guys have guidelines as to what characters from certain regions are allowed to do, similar to the color wheel in Magic?

Bipedial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-31-2012

Xypherous, how do you feel creating a champion in the image of our Glorious lord Phreak?