Updater Stops

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Popcicle42

07-26-2009

After installing LoL, the updater runs to install the latest updates. However, it only gets maybe 3-5% into the update before it stops. No crash, mind you, just stops downloading. Further investigation shows my computer can't get online, period. No email, no IE, no patching, nothing.

Now, initially I thought it was my internet connection being fuzzy, so I rebooted my router and cablemodem, and regained connection no problem. Loaded LoL, continued updating where it left off, and then full stop 3-5% in again. And again, no other internet connections.

Still certain it was my internet connection, I walked away for an hour or so, as this is usually the culprit. One hour later, same attempts, same result. No internet again.

Frustrated, I walked away again, for a longer wait. It was only after I talked to my wife that I noticed something; she had been on the computer the hour before I attempted for the third time without problem, and she had no problem afterwords for another hour afterwards. Figuring maybe the internet stopped dropping, I attempted LoL again, only to have it again shut down my internet connection.

I'm uncerntain how to continue. I have been slowly updating, but at 3-5% increments before I have to reset everything. Any other time, my internet connection is fine.

Suggestions?

Popcicle42

07-26-2009

Update:

After a little more investigation, I decided to try bypassing my router and plugging directly into my cablemodem. Updated fine after that. Wierdness.

Anyway, I have a NetGear Wireless Router Type WGT624v4

gruof01

07-26-2009

I have the same router and it's OK for me.

Try this, when the launcher is running go to the options and uncheck the "enable peer-to-peer transfer" box, then quit the launcher and run it again. An alternative is to enable the rate limiting but set the numbers so it can't flood your outbound connection. The inbound shouldn't matter since you want that to be as fast as possible.

Peer to peer can create a lot of connections, and some routers don't react well to that. I got this router because the last one I had would just keep rebooting when I was trying to download WoW patches.

Good luck.