@Riot: Any news on Kayle?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CQReborn

01-20-2012

I hope we keep Kayle's ult, its really her defining thing.

Serenity Now

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We actually agree. Classick and I are talking about the new skills and gameplay patterns we want to explore.

I agree we didn't go all-out here, partially due to some constraints we've solved on resources and organization. Kayle needs an overhaul.
Any plans for Teemo?

Saw Rain Man pick Teemo in Kiev yesterday (which is the only time he ever appears in tournaments), but he didn't accomplish anything. Irelia still got farmed, and he wasn't able to push his lane. TSM won because bot lane dominated.

ThaggleS

01-20-2012

Quote:
That's why this one has taken so much time - because it's a drastic change. That's the disadvantage, is the time needed (especially supporting art) to make major changes that go beyond just mechanics swapping.
You know, I've had ideas for Evelynn that I've discussed with friends in the past who have claimed that my ideas were actually very balanced and viable. If you wanted some ideas from an outside source feel free to contact me in game, I'd love to chat for a few minutes with you one day!

Morello

Lead Designer

01-20-2012
6 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaggleS View Post
You know, I've had ideas for Evelynn that I've discussed with friends in the past who have claimed that my ideas were actually very balanced and viable ones. If you wanted some ideas from an outside source feel free to contact me in game, I'd love to chat for a few minutes with you, one day!
A lot of it is being sure we're certain, because we need to get art to change how the abilities read in game. This is something that's been hard to wrangle for a long time, but is improving rapidly.

Morello

Lead Designer

01-20-2012
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarzark View Post
Get Xypherous on things. I know he's said he doesn't think he would make a good balance team member because his idea of taking care of things is to burn it to the ground and do something entirely different. That's what Kayle needs.
The direction was more along these lines. Here's the summarized direction discussion;

Live Bros: "So what should we do with Kayle? She needs a lot of work."

*Shows awesome splash of Kayle*

Me: "We should make this new champion. She's an awesome angel knight."

So, there's what we're working with right now

AriesMajor

01-20-2012

Quote:
A lot of it is being sure we're certain, because we need to get art to change how the abilities read in game. This is something that's been hard to wrangle for a long time, but is improving rapidly.
If you guys do mess with her again, please keep her "I'm gonna melt rammus if I hit him 20 times" aspect, as characters with these capabilities to melt brick walls on queue are far and few between, and vayne/kogmaw isn't a viable option all of the time to counter heavy resistance stacking+dmg+5k hp at the same time champs.

CQReborn

01-20-2012

Quote:
The direction was more along these lines. Here's the summarized direction discussion;

As somebody who has played Kayle for a long time, and I own 3 skins for her, all these changes makes playing her regularally really upsetting.

I want to play her, but every time I feel like I'm able to work around her current weaknesses, I remember that her current kit is only temporary.

Feels bad man

How can somebody down-vote this? Am I WRONG? Becoming "good" with a champ isn't easy when said champ gets changed like this, especially for a second round of re-works.

ThaggleS

01-20-2012

Quote:
Wow, what a timely response. Well played, Morello, well played.

When it comes to changing mechanics/abilities, good ideas that I've contemplated include:

For her stealth/slow/stun, either make it so if you strike from behind, the target is stunned, otherwise they are slowed, or make it so that if Evelynn is visible (via Oracle or Vision Ward), then she slows instead of stuns. Either of these fixes would be a good buff for the champion.

Another is the way her ult heals her. I remember hearing rumors from Shurelia about her getting a shield upon activating her ultimate (which is a terrible idea in my opinion). Instead of a shield and instead of a low amount of health, or an over-the-top amount of healing, why not make it percentage based?

While I have your attention (not to abuse the fact that you interact with your playerbase) I am incredibly disappointed in Riot's decision to remove ana burn from Wit's End a while back. While I do really like the idea of giving bonus MR, I do not find Phreak's initial reasoning to be well thought out. "It was either too effective or useless" sounds lazy to me. Why wouldn't you make it percentage based as well, similar to Madred's Bloodrazer? Or, keep it what it was at but make it a "flat or %, whichever is greater" type thing.

And I'll leave you with this and I do hope to hear your opinions on what I've said. Let me know where to tweak future ideas so I can better understand your train of thought when it comes to these types of things.

huskandhunger

01-20-2012

Quote:

Sounds like an awesome creative approach!

VIKTORie

01-20-2012

Quote:

So, what exactly would she be? People play her hybrid, AD, AP, support. All are great but just wondering.