Once and for all: The tribunal, a Scientific Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MindlesIndulgenc

01-20-2012

I love that somebody is doing an experiment on this, kudos. I will be coming back to check on your progess once you've begun.

Reinami

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKingShady View Post
Just because something has a flaw doesn't mean it doesn't work. A viable result of this experiment is whether or not the Tribunal helps or hurts the community overall. A non viable result would be to find a flaw in one of the minor (let's define minor as less than 5%) types of cases and use that result to say that the Tribunal should be shut down even though it helps the community the majority of the time.
While in the terms of science, i 100% agree with you, even if all 3 of my accounts get banned it wouldn't really SCIENTIFICALLY prove much. However.

In a social context.

It is better to let 100 guilty men go free than to imprison even 1 innocent man.

If 1 of the accounts gets banned that shouldn't be it shows a flaw that deserves further experimentation, and at the very least riots attention.

Bumhunt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2012

hello my name is Troy McClure

Typhnox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2012

Just posting in this thread because the Original Poster's name is similar to mine.

Deeeerp

01-20-2012

As a person who is permanently banned, this piques my interest.

zakaran

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKingShady View Post
Just because something has a flaw doesn't mean it doesn't work.
This is true.
But just because something has a flaw, but still works, doesn't mean it works well.

Pheṇm

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglethorn View Post
TD; DR

Just going to reference this thread.

The tribunal is fine after the experiment Pendragon did, the fact many of the accepted what they did proves their guilt.
You realize he stopped after like 2 pages, purely because he kept finding cases that weren't quite right. There's a case in the sample group that even pendragon admits was probably a bug.

Now multiply that number by thousands, even hundreds of thousands.

Now you see why tribunal is flawed.

Montag

Player Experience Manager

01-20-2012
1 of 3 Riot Posts

It's pretty cool that you're doing an experiment like this, but I should warn you that if your experiment is successful, all your accounts are likely to have some punitive action taken, not just the extra accounts you've made for the purposes of this experiment.

I'd advice against actually following through with this. I love experiments, but I wouldn't want you to get banned in the name of Science.

Sinbot2k

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
It's pretty cool that you're doing an experiment like this, but I should warn you that if your experiment is successful, all your accounts are likely to have some punitive action taken, not just the extra accounts you've made for the purposes of this experiment.

I'd advice against actually following through with this. I love experiments, but I wouldn't want you to get banned in the name of Science.
What?

There are absolutely no rules in place that he is violating.

Edit: Also, why the hell are you upvoting this guy blindly?!

Tetramaster

01-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbot2k View Post
What?

There are absolutely no rules in place that he is violating.

Edit: Also, why the hell are you upvoting this guy blindly?!
I think it means this.

Riot DOES Crosscheck IPs for smurfs when a player suffers punishment and has them "marked" automatically or something.

This means that while the offending account takes the BRUNT of the punishment, the rest of the accounts get marked with a red flag stating "This account should be watched in case of any future violations"