[Suggestion] Appear Offline

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Safaiaryu

12-30-2011

/sign

HeroicEdge

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-30-2011

signed. isn't it easy to implement too? it shouldn't be that difficult.

Jazdia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2012

Agreed

Mattdennehy

01-06-2012

Red post "we'll try to get this prioritised" from 6 months ago.

Honestly I feel like Riot is trolling me every time I visit these forums.

FireFinal

01-15-2012

/sign

I want this feature more than anything.

IzDude

01-15-2012

Instead of just offline, we should be able to ignore certain players that we don't want to play with at that moment, and then be able to unblock them and have them as a friend still.

CIoudy cloud

01-19-2012

/sign

Gamerdragon777

01-20-2012

signed

RiotBahamut

Associate Software Engineer

01-20-2012
3 of 7 Riot Posts

I can't offer any assurance as to whether we're doing this or not, but I've been having some talks about it lately. There's less concern in how much time or difficulty there would be in implementing an offline mode, and more in the holistic considerations of what value it would bring.

As I've personally read through this thread (And others like it), there seem to be two camps of people: Those who, at times, aren't feeling social and just want more control over who can interact with them, and those who feel annoyed at all of the notifications (buddy invites, game invites, etc) they sometimes receive. Implementing an offline mode to please both of these camps isn't necessarily the best solution, because it wouldn't give users the control to solve only one of these problems.

In other words, all of these discussions about offline mode have revealed additional things that would have to be done in order to achieve the optimal solution (For example, an improved buddy list or notification system). Several solutions are currently on the table, and we want to be sure that in solving one problem for one group of people, we don't create a problem for another. At the same time, we also want to be sure that adding the ability to appear offline won't harm the community in any way (For a fun mental trip, think of what it'd be like if everybody was using offline mode )

Sorry if this post doesn't have the affirmations you were looking for, but I assure you that this request hasn't been lost on us. Thank you for being patient.

MAD Bahamut

01-20-2012

^ (took my name)