New Color Palettes Available for Colorblind Players!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Icus

01-17-2012

upupup!!!

ryannathans

01-17-2012

Do like.

<-- Is colour blind. This already looks like it will be 0x2329 better

antonyxatz

01-17-2012

Nice changes Riot!

Padre Loco

01-17-2012

The colors aren't quite there yet. The blue is too light / pastel. We (the chromaticity challenged) are looking for a good contrast not just color separation. The biggest issue however is the Mini-map. The outer circle around the champion is, (and always has been for me) indistinguishable. If the circle was 'thicker' that would help. I used to mess with custom colors (but stopped since they got reset with patches), and I used a medium to dark blue. I also tweaked the red to make it 'brighter'.

I hope this feedback is helpful.

Kudos for making this happen.

yenic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2012

Rethinking this change, instead of maintaining 2 color modes, why not just use the color scheme that works for everyone?
Then you don't have to maintain 2. Seems like lot of wasted effort going forward.

Unless, to non-color deficient players the colorblind palette is aesthetically unappealing? Since I'm red-green colorblind can't differentiate between much in the default color palette, I can't really comment on that.

But it makes sense to simply scrap the entire red/green palette. I've heard from those who aren't colorblind that it's very obvious, but I'm sure blue and yellow would work for everyone.
I find blue/yellow to be more colorful and more lively entertaining colors than red and green anyway (perhaps that's because I'm colorblind). :P

For me, most shades of green appear red, including grass outside. Though I can tell the grass in LoL is green, I can't tell anything apart from my team or enemy team. It's a shade thing on the sliding scale of colors and only greens on the extreme end away from red are identifiable.

My type of colorblindness is best described by Wikipedia-
'Deuteranomaly (most common — 6% of males, 0.4% of females):[24] These individuals have a mutated form of the medium-wavelength (green) pigment. The medium-wavelength pigment is shifted towards the red end of the spectrum resulting in a reduction in sensitivity to the green area of the spectrum. Unlike protanomaly the intensity of colors is unchanged. This is the most common form of color blindness, making up about 6% of the male population. The deuteranomalous person is considered "green weak". For example, in the evening, dark green cars appear to be black to Deuteranomalous people. Similar to the protanomates, deuteranomates are poor at discriminating small differences in hues in the red, orange, yellow, green region of the spectrum. They make errors in the naming of hues in this region because the hues appear somewhat shifted towards red. One very important difference between deuteranomalous individuals and protanomalous individuals is deuteranomalous individuals do not have the loss of "brightness" problem.'

RiotVeonneth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Production Assistant

01-17-2012
13 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre Loco View Post
The blue is too light / pastel.
Thanks for the feedback. We're going to look into making health bars a more "bold" blue, if that makes sense.

Are there any particles that do this as well? So far, we've just seen health bars have this feedback.

yenic

01-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotVeonneth View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We're going to look into making health bars a more "bold" blue, if that makes sense.

Are there any particles that do this as well? So far, we've just seen health bars have this feedback.
I've been using this-
http://sweetdiculous.com/razieh/Colours/

He changes everything to blue/red and also has a ini config setting to change the minimap to black/white.
I understand if you don't want to use black/white as it's kind of crude, so I'm not sure how to best approach the minimap if that's not an acceptable palette.

For me, his work has been perfect. Being colorblind, any references to any changes could easily mimic what he has done and be excellent. I believe the creator is colorblind so he knows what we need as well as anyone. I don't think many in the colorblind community have any issues with those changes.

I think blue/red works for ALL colorblind gamers. There is a smaller percentage who can't differentiate between blue/yellow. 1% of colorblind people are blue/yellow deficient. We'll take what we can get though for the rest of us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_b...olor_blindness

MandyMemory

01-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotVeonneth View Post

I really like the current blue.

One small thing that isn't important. The health bar below your skills is still green. Obviously it's not by anything so the color doesn't matter, but it doesn't match the rest of the game.

Zyxy

01-17-2012

Design win!!

DylanShoe

01-17-2012

I think colorblind thing is pretty neat.