Introducing the Champion Evaluation

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taenshi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
What were you hoping for as far as story development goes?
I dunno that was pretty fun to read, you aren't going to please everyone no matter what you do.

psikoticsilver

07-15-2010

Rename this... it's not an evaluation. I was expecting a champion feedback system when I entered this thread.

RiotBabagahnoosh

Creative Designer

Follow babagahnoosh on Twitter

07-15-2010
6 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercrius View Post
To be honest, I think Riot should stop trying to add lore into this game and just focus on the gameplay and the numerous bugs and glitches that bring this game down. I still enjoy the game but there are a lot of big improvements that could be made, and most problems have been in since beta. Starcraft 2 is coming out soon and I doubt the core players of LoL play it for the lore.
I really do understand where you're coming from, and I'm just speaking here as myself and not the company, but I honestly don't believe it's in Riot's best interests to eschew story and intellectual property development on LoL.

People play games for a multitude of different reasons, and a number of those reasons stretch out across a wide array of gamer types. For us to focus on just one or two types of players when there are so many we can address simultaneously... to me, that's a greater disservice to the fans and the community.

Also, the folks here at Riot work very hard in multiple disciplines and roles in making LoL the best it can be. The story development we do does not come as a sacrifice to the work we do in other areas of the game. I think, especially as Season One rolls on, you'll see LoL continue to improve across all aspects of the game.

RiotBabagahnoosh

Creative Designer

07-15-2010
7 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikoticsilver View Post
Rename this... it's not an evaluation. I was expecting a champion feedback system when I entered this thread.
We actually struggled a bit with the name of this sort of lore. What would you recommend as an alternative name for it, provided that the function of what the story represents is that the League is evaluating these larger-than-life figures as future champions?

RiotBabagahnoosh

Creative Designer

07-15-2010
8 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
Excellently done! Will this be available in the Client? The section is, after all, called Lore, not Journal of Justice... I think it would go nicely alongside the champion's story... create a "File" for each champion. Artwork, their stories, and their evaluation.
We'll see what we can do for the future. The JoJ is just the start for the Story Tab.

at a minimum, the goal is to place these evals with the champions in the lore database on the website.

ltzeonyx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2010

i think tht maybe the initiation trials could b a good name or something along thos lines

edit: trails of worth? or um thesaurus a word like worth

devined

07-15-2010

I dont personally like lore in games without single player. Its like the Halo universe, I love the story line immensely, but that is in single player. None of it comes into play when I am playing online out BR'ing people all day.

Besides that I feel sorry for Babagahnoosh for having to deal with all this **** people give him for trying hard to give story to the people that want it.

Edit: I didnt really read it, but it looked like a biography maybe? You could just replace ingame biographys with these elaborate ones maybe.

RiotBabagahnoosh

Creative Designer

07-15-2010
9 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyliandanny View Post
I'm not sure how much my opinion matters, but I'm pretty hung up on how Riot's going to handle their lore and how much you guys care about it, so I'll spout my nonsense nonetheless.
[/I]
Your opinion does matter, Danny. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'll be sure to share it with the team.

We always make it a point to try and parse all the feedback our fans provide for us. It's the Riot way of making our games better.

RiotBabagahnoosh

Creative Designer

07-15-2010
10 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devined View Post
I dont personally like lore in games without single player. Its like the Halo universe, I love the story line immensely, but that is in single player. None of it comes into play when I am playing online out BR'ing people all day.

Besides that I feel sorry for Babagahnoosh for having to deal with all this **** people give him for trying hard to give story to the people that want it.
I appreciate the support, and I know the team does too. I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to the internet, but it's always great to get constructive feedback.

I know exactly what you mean when it comes to lore and single-player games. It's not lost on us. Trust me.

pieguy42

07-15-2010

This is pretty cool! I thought from the title it was discussing balancing issues (I've heard Xin Zhao is OP), but it was a good read. I can't wait for more of these.