Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wolfie Night

01-15-2012

I would like to comment that I loved the article put forth by davin.

Aside from that, I would like to add that I agree with the majority of pro-variety arguments. I feel that there are other ways of telling which characters are female aside from their cleavage or boob size or amount/type of skin showing.

The difference in the amount of skin shown by each gender is quite obvious. The type of skin shown is not usually addressed, but a common trend. On males the only visible skin is usually on the face, neck, hands, and arms. On females visible skin usually consists of face, neck, top part of chest above boobs with some cleavage, arms, hands, a good portion of the legs and occasionally the stomach. As stated before, this is because designers want to cater to the consumer and offer them an aesthetically pleasing character. However, while for some the typical video game girl character model is appealing, to others it is not.

Respectfully, I am fine with those who find the Barbie like video game girl character model appealing. I would simply like to ask for a few more female characters that did not fit the "normal" model. I am not asking for ugly characters like one person in this thread sarcastically commented, just for some variety and for the characters to look the part they are supposed to fill. I greatly appreciate models like Leona, Shyvanna, and the like. It makes me feel that Riot as a whole is being considerate and really looking into their customer profiles.

It is true that Riven, Leona, Shyvana, etc. are good examples of non-scantily clad warrior women who look their role. The reason why this is still an issue is because in comparison to the amount of gender role conforming female characters there is only a handful of non-conforming characters.

I am certainly not saying change the existing characters who do seem to fall into the female character stereotype. Leave them be, but perhaps throw in a bit of variety for the future. It would be appreciated.

davin

Senior User Researcher

01-15-2012
21 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie Night View Post
Respectfully, I am fine with those who find the Barbie like video game girl character model appealing. I would simply like to ask for a few more female characters that did not fit the "normal" model. I am not asking for ugly characters like one person in this thread sarcastically commented, just for some variety and for the characters to look the part they are supposed to fill. I greatly appreciate models like Leona, Shyvanna, and the like. It makes me feel that Riot as a whole is being considerate and really looking into their customer profiles.

It is true that Riven, Leona, Shyvana, etc. are good examples of non-scantily clad warrior women who look their role. The reason why this is still an issue is because in comparison to the amount of gender role conforming female characters there is only a handful of non-conforming characters.

I am certainly not saying change the existing characters who do seem to fall into the female character stereotype. Leave them be, but perhaps throw in a bit of variety for the future. It would be appreciated.
This is a really good summation of what I think the "pro-variety" side of this thread is all about. I've enjoyed watching this discussion progress! For the most part it's been rather civil and very interesting. It's also sparked some discussion in the office, both with artists and non-artists. Thanks for being awesome and challenging, community!

The Ninth Priest

01-15-2012

Sacajawea looks like a WoW character, copied and pasted.

DarkOrchid

01-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
This is a really good summation of what I think the "pro-variety" side of this thread is all about. I've enjoyed watching this discussion progress! For the most part it's been rather civil and very interesting. It's also sparked some discussion in the office, both with artists and non-artists. Thanks for being awesome and challenging, community!
Off topic but it is good some discussion here is brought to light over there. Design gotta be a headache to deal with. Male/Monsters too.

Wolfie Night

01-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Thank you for listening!

MandyMemory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie Night View Post
Respectfully, I am fine with those who find the Barbie like video game girl character model appealing.
There really isn't one in LoL. MF would be the closest thing, but I see people with a body like hers everyday O.o

Sgonzo

01-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivini View Post
And that would be a bad thing? A player won't be able to enjoy a champion if they can't distinguish what *** the champion is?
Remember a champion named Kog'Maw? There's plenty of speculation over its *** due to two of its skins (the butterfly and Deep Sea skins). Is Kog'Maw hated? Not that I've seen.

There's a character in a manga/anime called Soul Eater named Crona. This character exhibits traits from both genders and no one knows what Crona's true *** is. Despite that, Crona has a huge fan following and is loved, including myself. Google him/her if needed.

Anyway, even as a woman, I don't get offended by the "*** sells" business model every company exploits, but there are times when it honestly isn't necessary. Putting more clothes on Sejuani and/or giving her a little muscle or fat wouldn't fool anyone into thinking she's male. Hearing her voice or even reading her lore is enough. A constant reminder like huge breasts or skimpy clothes when playing her is just silly and an obvious exploitation of the "*** sells" business model. I understand that you're trying to cover it up, but I'm only expressing that no one's fooled.

I for one would love to see more realistic, varied females in LoL. Even crude ones. Aside from Annie, Anivia, Poppy and Tristana, every female has a sultry voice with a figure to match. Most of their dying voice tracks consist of what would be mistaken for orgasmic moans in any other context, or trying to poop, depending on how they sound to you. Orianna, an android whom isn't capable of feeling, even does so.
^ never even heard of this manga or character so huge following it does not have as i am knee deep in anime information

Sgonzo

01-15-2012

also while i am negative to the OP and the thoguhts he/she has on female charcter design i will admit that i wouldnt be up in arms making forums posts hating on riot games art design if they add more vaqriety to female champs like monstrous or gargas like........ as someone else stated earlier in the thread there are skins which make it more decent that riot probly loses out money on if you wanna censor you female champs go ahead pay the moeny buy the less then revealing skins and leeave the rest of us alon i personally htink the NA arty staff are spot on with splash art and character models keep up the good work

Miirik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2012

ITT: Men forgot how to be men.

Fractal Bear

01-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyMemory View Post
There really isn't one in LoL. MF would be the closest thing, but I see people with a body like hers everyday O.o
I highly doubt that. The proportions on MF in particular are impossible on a real women.

If you truly think you see women like that, then it only highlights the issue. Our culture has created these ideals for women (and men to a lesser extent) and it becomes so ingrained that we actually feel like we are seeing them. What is actually seen might not be identical to what we see in media, but it is close enough to cause an impact on our perceptions and expectations.