Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NoIntestines

01-13-2012

My main issue with a lot of the female art is not so much the *** appeal or implied chauvinism therein, but rather the sacrifices of cogency which are made on the behalf said *** appeal. Some recent art has gone out of its way to be appealing at the loss of character depth and consistency.

Examples: Morgana in her new art is smiling, strutting, and sparkling, three things which are completely out of character and inconsistent with her in-game animation. Janna in her skins (especially Frost Queen) has an appropriately timeless elemental sort of look about her, whereas her standard model appears roughly 14. I also don't get the pointy ears, but whatever.

Which brings us to Sejuani. As a person who has both lived in cold climates my whole life as well as owned large pets, I can say from personal experience that her clothing is wholly inadequate. Constant contact with a large boar will help mitigate body heat lost to the elements, but not nearly enough. I would also think one engaging in close range combat would seek to protect herself more. Sivir wears next to nothing, but she's all about moving fast and running around. Her abilities and art go together. I don't know what Sejuani's abilities are, but if they involve charging into battle - which she certainly looks ready to do - I would think it prudent to don some form of clothing intended to deflect blows.

Joshua Cross

01-13-2012

The reason that most male and female characters in video games appear the way they do is not simply because *** sells, but because the consumer wants to be immersed in a pleasing fantasy. Much like how James Bond isn't a big fat neckbeard, or Edward Cullen wasn't a zit faced loser. When I play a game I want to escape reality and be a good looking badass who kicks a lot of ass, if I wanted to be regular old joe, I'd go out and live my life like I do every day.

Flytrap

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc View Post
So I was going to post something in another thread, but it got closed before I managed to. It was essentially about how the OP was disappointed that Sejuani doesn't look strong and wears (relatively) little clothing. But I felt like this was a point worth making, and so I'm just going to put it out there.

People were responding with comments like, "You're expecting realism out of a fantasy game?" and generally responded very negatively (which I found completely baffling), but in general I think they were missing the point the OP was trying to make. It's not that it's unrealistic that she's so small. Tryndamere really couldn't swing that sword with one hand like he does realistically. The problem is that this is yet another female champ that has the exact same body type as practically every other (adult human) female champ, that body type being thin, frail, and busty. The skimpy clothes is just gravy to this insult, but seeing as she's a barbarian-type lady and riding a giant boar I think we can let that one go.

Now, I like Sejuani's design, from what I've seen. She's got a unique weapon among the champs (keeping in line with one of my favorite features of LoL, that almost no champions share the same weapon), she looks good, she's got an awesome boar mount (also awesome and distinct in it's own way from the other champs). But I, similarly to the person who posted that other thread, think that she should look strong, and that's a very reasonable thing to want. She must be a strong lady to lift her flail and shield, or even ride her mount. But she doesn't look it. None of the female champs look particularly strong. But the male champs are not only more varied, but their body types support their character. Strong warrior champs are big. Makes sense, right? Casters tend to be thinner. There's a lot of variety among the male champs in terms of body type. But all the female champs are just lingerie models, regardless of the size of their weapon or the weight of their armor (I'm looking at you and your plate mail heels, Leona).

This is a problem with most games, and while I love League of Legends, they're very guilty of falling into this trend. Men are varied and appropriately proportioned, women are thin and busting out of their tops regardless of who they are or what they do. I really wish Riot would change this. Their designs are fun and interesting and varied (and only seem to get better and better, go Riot!), and it's completely within their power to change this particular aspect of character design, but they never seem to. It's hugely disappointing, and there's really no need for it.

These popped up on Kotaku just recently, and while they're not written for the same reason I'm commenting on this, they're about the same issue, and definitely worth a read.

http://kotaku.com/5868595/nerds-and-male-privilege
http://kotaku.com/5873885/nerds-and-male-privilege-part-2-deconstructing-the-arguments
The massive downvotes are hilarious.

Anyways, I would really like to see a large, unattractive female champion eventually. Someone like Therazane from WoW would be fantastic.

Oracle Elixir

01-13-2012

iron why did you post in this thread....I want it closed!

Joshua Cross

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoIntestines View Post

Which brings us to Sejuani. As a person who has both lived in cold climates my whole life as well as owned large pets, I can say from personal experience that her clothing is wholly inadequate. Constant contact with a large boar will help mitigate body heat lost to the elements, but not nearly enough.
It fits in with the motif of the people living in that area though, as Olaf is basically wearing a poncho and that's it, like Sejuani, he's got no pants and nothing protecting his arm. They are probably resistant to cold.

Eserine

01-13-2012

I thought that the company began making significant progress in the last year on this issue, especially with RIven, although now a majority of the forum community is advocating giving her a Playboy Bunny skin thanks to the very fact that her design was more restrained (and I recall IronStylus was initially against that idea as well).

and speaking of IronStylus and challenges, if you could read through this short closed thread if you have not yet done so Iron I would greatly appreciate it.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1666371

Dual Penetration

01-13-2012

as to what champs wear im just going to say this, people dont wear what is practical they put on what they like. did i ever use a helmet skateboarding? no. did i wear my motocross gear every time i went dirt biking, no, *didnt always use helmet either*. giving less clothing also show personality into a character imo. ex: Leona shows a different personality in her skins then the new Ahri does, no? clothes give personality to a made up champion enjoy the character they made and maybe in the future you may get your "ideal" champion with a personality that fits to your liking.

B3ER

01-13-2012

Guys like hot girls, girls don't mind hot girls. What's the problem? You want Riot to change their appeal for some odd cases?

Evangelene

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2012

I like playing the attractive women characters for the simple fact that i like playing people with pretty designs, i really dont think it would be too much of a stretch to give her a bit more muscle, a little bigger of a wait etc. though. I'm not saying body builder or obese woman size- but i have to agree she needs to be buffed up a /tiny/ bit at least! i mean we might not notice it in game but everyone notices it on the splash art! (as beautiful as it is)
It cant be too hard, caitlins original splash art was altered because he face looked slightly chubby (i assume as i had saved the original and its the only notably different thing on her current splash art) :P
and yes im aware s.e.x sells but a little buffer isnt going to make her unattractive~!

cHuTTaD

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiou View Post
There's a reason nobody plays Gragas,
This guy. What.