Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Verosce

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino View Post
I know it's been said time and time again, but we need moar Ironscale Shyvanyan. I mean, Shyvana.
Second favorite skin in the entire game.

Ironically enough for this thread, my favorite is Secret Agent MF

Shambolaz

01-12-2012

On the perils of recognizable gender being lost in armor: couldn't the splash art for Sejuani be more muscular and the in-game design remain distinguishably feminine?

I mean, nobody expects the two aspects of the character art to be mirror images (I doubt the LoL engine could even render the detail as seen in splash, it'd be too pixalated).

I remember Sivir's old splash, I used to cringe every time seeing her emaciated arms holding that huge boomerang. I sorta get the same feeling with Sejuani.

MandyMemory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Enchantress View Post
Call me silly, but half worlds is better than none, when you're talking about literal life and death circumstances.

Dude, Korica, jinx.
That's why ninjas are always shown decked out in armor. Or assassins. Or martial artists. Or anyone that's not a knight.

There is one specific kind of combat that lends itself to heavy armor. Nothing in league is anything like it. Most RL battles only started like it, then degraded to where someone without any armor would have a massive mobility advantage.

GreenOakland

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrmidont View Post
bland design, I'm paying modelers to create new exciting artwork, why should I pay them for butter churned **** made from a template?

they're god ****ed professionals and this isn't challenging them or us as an audience or them as designers
I'm not against making muscular women or fat women or differed bodies for humanoid women in this game. They should make it more differed, but I don't think any part of the argument should contain anything about objectifying women. If you want different body styles, then say that, don't make it about how all the woman are overtly "hot"

I think there should be women like that in the game.
The point is, it shouldn't matter if they're "hot" or not.
There should be more variation, but let's not make it about how a gender is objectified.

Bennyandthejets

01-12-2012

I want a female Gragas

Aqualisk

01-12-2012

I feel that Riot puts too much importance on another player being able to identify the gender of a character. Gender only matters, really, to the person playing the character. If you select a character and the voice is female and the portrait is female well that's about all you need. The enemy or ally players do not need to immediately know the gender of a character. It has zero relevance to the game. A character needs only a recognizable silhouette and abilities, not a gender. Nobody cares about the gender of a character except the person who is playing.

What's that mean? Well it means you don't need female champions running around in bikinis. It does nothing for the game. It devalues any kind of lore or character created for a champion by just making them a random piece of eye-candy in a game that's based around killing other players. I think Riot would benefit greatly from focusing on making more unique silhouettes that make sense as opposed to ones that have visual boobs that bounce around when you attack.

And if it matters that much you can make a character look female and armored. You can put curves and graceful highlights on armor, which they failed to do on Kayle and only did a little bit on Leona, to make a character look really female.

Yoshikou

01-12-2012

I don't think people are going to stop in a middle of a team fight to zoom in to look at the character's details..

Ikarurob

01-12-2012

Northern front Caitlyn is the only cait.

fully clothed, doesnt look like mad moxxi and still looks female from a distance.

AquaLance

01-12-2012

Kinda agree with the point here.
Take Street Fighter as an example. Chunli, Cammy, Sakura they all look **** tough but also **** sexy.

I think Riot should give it a try.

Well, pretty much all Female champs right now are mages and assassins. But Leona, Vayne, Irelia, they kinda too "smooth" for a giant shield holder, a close range fighter and an crossbow user that have such agility

warmturtle229

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Want the feminine form to read in a game? Welp, guess what, it might have to be a bit more famine and/or stylized than usual to read at the proper distance and keep readable when moving. That's just making sure we cover the basics of simple silhouette recognition. If we make her too broad, you might mistake Sejuani for a male, that'd be, ya know, not what we want.

Do I think Sejuani might need to make a trip to Sports Chalet and get some heavy winter gear? Possibly.. BUT! I also want her to be wearing something more interesting than a Columbia snowboarding jacket and I also want her to read clearly when I play her. That's a whole lot in the equation.

If you saw Sejuani in a head to toe outfit, or heavily armor-clad, or maybe beefier, well, that actually presents a slew of other visual problems to work out. We then have problems with whether we could tell her gender or not. The boar (Let's take get a betting game going to see if you can guess the boar's name) might indicate, given another armor or outfit situation, that she's a guy. Thickening her up, while addressing how a chick could wield such a weapon comes at a risk of her looking like a male also. We wanted her to be fit and vicious. Adding particular types of clothing, mass, armor, etc might detract from that..
This is what I have a problem with. If you want her to be easily recognized as female... why did you guys do the exact opposite. You put that very... uh boorish helm on her (the one horn is not a good idea, sorry Riot). You gave her all kinds of fur, but barely any clothes. You know who has a helm, fur, and not properly equipped below his waistline? Olaf. And he's a bearded angry "viking" that's pretty burly. Putting her on a boar sounds like one of those crazy ideas people get when intoxicated ("Duuuude...lets like...put her on a boar! Hot chicks on boars!" "Niiiiice")

I think you guys kinda suspended too much disbelief, scale some of that back. Take the helm off and show off her luscious hair.