Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SLG Rady

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verosce View Post
Give me a woman in plain full-plate, and I will never QQ again. Not that I've been doing much of that--I love all three of those champs and a lot more besides.
Isn't Defender Leona in full plate? its pretty full.
like..
She looks like the Juggernaut... or.... War machine.
or Hateful Gladiators Warrior gear from Wow.

She's a beast.

what was i going to say....?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Random4 lyf

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
...Challenge Accepted.

And not two sh- what am I saying, IRONSTYLUS YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warscythes

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verosce View Post
Okay, Karma's wearing a practically skintight dress that hugs her curves quite nicely. Riven's baring a fair amount of skin, and Leo is sporting breastplate of the most literal variety. It's not OVERsexualized, but it's still sexualized. I don't think that makes the point moot, even if they're not what most rational people would call offensive.

Give me a woman in plain full-plate, and I will never QQ again. Not that I've been doing much of that--I love all three of those champs and a lot more besides.
You are picking bones out of an eggshell(or at least that is how the saying goes). Their dresses are sensible within the gaming environment in which that it is not ridiculous like Mia in king of the fighters for example. The point here is moot is because of what Ironstylus said, League of Legends is viewed from bird eye's view, the models HAS to be noticeable to determine their ***. If you stick a woman in full plate then it is difficult to determine the gender at a glance. Perfect example here is Samus or Kayle in LoL, plenty of people have mistaken both for dudes simply because it is difficult to tell.

There is no need to make something out of nothing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lacking

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged Magikarp View Post
Inertia and link tension. Flailed it forward first, now bringing it backwards
I've actually been thinking about it for awhile. The precise problem I have is that the flail, by the shape of the curve of the chain, looks like it's halfway through an outward flight. If it was fully extended forward your explanation works because it means it's captured at the precise moment when she is starting to pull it back. But for something which main weight rests at the front, pulling it back will likely result in the heavy part coming back first. You can try it.

Bah I'm putting way too much thought into this.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LuciedBR

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verosce View Post
Too gaudy for me. But on the right track.
It's sort of why I wish I had the silver skin, but I'm too cheap to buy a $40 retail CE box just so I can get it.

Hmmm, I kind of want to see if I can get IronStylus to respond to my thoughts on Sejuani's design. Maybe second time's the charm?
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=19643272#post19643272

On a side note, you know what would be a nice function to add to the forums? A little button at the top of each post giving the url to that post for easy linking.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davin

Senior User Researcher

01-12-2012
14 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Enchantress View Post
*lights a candle for Kayle's old model*

Edit: and unfortunately, everyone else seems to think that boobplate is a substitute for a breastplate, as far as "plain full-plate" is concerned.
Good point! Here is an interesting post on "boobplate" by an actual armorer. Section 4 goes over a plate they made and the practical issues it has. http://madartlab.com/2011/12/14/fant...and-lady-bits/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Verosce

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warscythes View Post
You are picking bones out of an eggshell(or at least that is how the saying goes). Their dresses are sensible within the gaming environment in which that it is not ridiculous like Mia in king of the fighters for example. The point here is moot is because of what Ironstylus said, because League of Legends is viewed from bird eye's view, the models HAS to be noticeable. If you stick a woman in full plate then it is difficult to determine the gender at a glance. Perfect example here is Samus or Kayle in this case, plenty of people have mistaken both for dudes simply because it is difficult to tell.

There is no need to make something out of nothing.
Probably right. I just wanted to talk about Karma's curves.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joruri

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyderin View Post
I'm not sure you'll ever get to this part of the thread, but please, if you do get to this post and you have some time on the way to/from work tomorrow, consider whether this really matters. Is the gender of a character really so important? Does it matter whether or not Kayle is male or female? Surely there are other far more important things, like how vicious the character is, or how sensual, or how malicious, or how thoughtful...

Kayle's gender doesn't seem to significantly change the person that she is, and I think this is true for most people - it's such a tiny aspect of the people that we are, and seeing the overwhelming number of "idealised" figures in computer games often makes me feel that game artists seriously overstate the importance of gender. In Sejuani's case, I think this comes at the high cost of making her *even more* strong, vicious, and independent than she already appears.

I'd be sad to see all the "idealisation" and sexiness removed from LoL's characters, but I'd be so happy to see more Shyvanas (the human model, at least - the dragon model makes me sad), more Kayles, more Twisted Fates, and more Ezreals, *as well* as the Jannas, Tryndameres, and Sejuanis.
This, this, and this! +1 To you, good sir!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-12-2012
15 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyderin View Post
I'm not sure you'll ever get to this part of the thread, but please, if you do get to this post and you have some time on the way to/from work tomorrow, consider whether this really matters. Is the gender of a character really so important? Does it matter whether or not Kayle is male or female? Surely there are other far more important things, like how vicious the character is, or how sensual, or how malicious, or how thoughtful...

Kayle's gender doesn't seem to significantly change the person that she is, and I think this is true for most people - it's such a tiny aspect of the people that we are, and seeing the overwhelming number of "idealised" figures in computer games often makes me feel that game artists seriously overstate the importance of gender. In Sejuani's case, I think this comes at the high cost of making her *even more* strong, vicious, and independent than she already appears.

I'd be sad to see all the "idealisation" and sexiness removed from LoL's characters, but I'd be so happy to see more Shyvanas (the human model, at least - the dragon model makes me sad), more Kayles, more Twisted Fates, and more Ezreals, *as well* as the Jannas, Tryndameres, and Sejuanis.
I have made it to this part of said thread! ..and yes I do consider this all the time. You raise excellent points and I completely see what your saying. You raise a good question as to whether gender is an immediate needed read. This is an interesting point which in analyzing my own feelings I realize I enjoy ambiguity and androgyny on occasions. I enjoy mystery and a deeper read.

Thanks for bringing it up!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warscythes

Senior Member

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verosce View Post
Probably right. I just wanted to talk about Karma's curves.
Er I don't know what to tell you mate, but when I walk around campus pretty much all the girls here show curves. I would actually argue Karma's dress is more conservative than normal.