Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tasha

01-11-2012

I am a very dedicated player from Hong Kong, but still am very alarmed upon hearing about this bill. How does Congress justify 'Human Rights' when they are going to take all of our 'Virtual rights' away?

While fighting against piracy is essential, is it really necessary to take such extreme measures to ruin legal entertainment?

KadaBOOOM

01-11-2012

There is an Egyptian aphorism that says "They come to the monkeys (RED HEAD) AND smell it" and i think the congress did that .....

Kylekicksbutt

01-11-2012

Ok i hate how they are trying to stop our rights. Isn 't this a free country!? The internet would suck! you could not watch any youtube vids anymore which some people profit from! I hate how they get mad at us playing games when the first game came out and they probably played pacman to death and their parents or firends probably didn't care! DOWN WITH SOPA!!!!

DeathBecomesU2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-11-2012

I've known about this for a while, but have finally taken some time to let my reps know how I feel. I definitely am heartened by RIOT's position on these bills. No matter your opinion of what constitutes piracy and whether it is fundementally wrong, it is obvious this is not the solution we're working for.

Here is a copy of the letter I just posted electronically and will mail a hard copy tomorrow.
The first paragraph is borrowed from the canned letter on eff.org

I am a constituent and a voter and I urge you to reject the Internet Blacklist Bills (PROTECT IP Act in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act in the House). I am deeply concerned by the danger these bills pose to Internet security, free speech online, and innovation.

Competent pirates will not be deterred by such measures. They, and their contemporaries, are masters of social engineering, programming and internet technology. They will always persist. The trick is to make them irrelevant, but the media and content giants have taken the low road and circled the wagons, as opposed to the high road of acknowledging the new paradigms of the digital age, and lowering prices or adding content, as it now costs them far less to distribute their products. I believe they actually contribute to piracy with their misguided efforts, by creating a larger pool of people willing to bend the law to balance the playing field, to download the booty thrown out by the pirates to the crowds. As with similar measures, the greatest victims are law-abiding citizens that are confounded by the imperfect implementation of anti-piracy measures. Pirates already created or obtained a DRM-stripped copy for themselves, so these measures are never a problem for them. I can live with DMCA in its current form, and I think it has worked, for the most part, in curbing the casual free download of copyrighted content. I understand these current bills are intended to go farther in going after hosting sites and myriads of infinitesimal alleged breaches of copyright, however it is like fishing with dynamite. I believe there will be a lot of abuse and a lot of collateral damage to the internet and content creation culture as we know it.

It is unwise for the people to grant sweeping powers to government and corporations, via their elected representatives, while worrying about implementation later. The fox is already in the henhouse at that point. Additionally, I don't want an Internet Service Provider or any private entity acting as a deputy for law enforcement. We might as well all spy on each other, and use government entities to do our dirty work for us. That is a frightening prospect. I don't want to live in that America. Life is complex enough these days. Laws should be transparent, easily understood, easily justified, and obvious where and when it will be implemented. We shouldn't all have to get law degrees to make sure we're not crossing an invisible line.

Also notice none of these bills are going after the actual pirates that package this content, obtained without compensation to the the intellectual property owner, and initially introduce it into the distribution channel. They are untouchable, or very hard to get to, and the government knows it. That would appear to be why they go for easier prey lower down the food chain. This is becoming reminiscent of the war on people (drugs are inanimate so cannot be engaged in war). If everybody is doing something and not having a problem with it, why not find out why, instead of condeming them? Society does change. There is precedent for that. It is not for the government to legislate morality. Society is self-regulating in that respect. We don't need or want the government to tell us what is right and wrong. If, on the other hand, they are going to tell us what is legal and illegal, it had better follow closely as to what the majority of the public thinks is right and wrong. I think you will find that your average value-added media customer has a generally unfavorable view of media content industry practices after being treated like the enemy for so long and being so restricted in how they can use the content. It is just reallly disrespecting the customer, which is any business's life-blood. I think you would also find that most also have an extensive media collection that they have paid for. The dissemination of the "free" material also is a form of advertising in itself. If somebody likes it, they are going to buy the original if has perceived added value, which unfortunately for the industry and the consumer, is all too often missing or inadequate. If these average joes and janes are criminals, then the majority of constituents in your district are criminals, and you have to represent them. A sobering thought, I hope. Let's not create criminals out of thin air by legislative decree. Our jails are already overcrowded.

Internet commerce and idea exchange has been a great boon to our country, with it's shrinking manufacturing base. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater and precipitate a shrinkage in internet participation, out of fear and uncertainty. Do we really want Americans to start using an alternate non-American web and DNS system? They will do what they can to circumvent this law. It is only natural human behavior when we feel cornered or stymied, and don't feel like we are doing anything "wrong", regardless of legality. One could observe that it is just this attitude that helped make us great and innovate. It should not be made criminal to get around this potential legislation, but that would be a logical progression, don't you think? More money we can't afford will be spent on enforcement with dubious ROI. Please urge your fellow reps to consult unbiased experts (it's ok, you can't know it all), and take as much time as you need to consider all the ramifications of these bills.

Our most important job as Americans, as I see it, is to honor the sacrifices of our Founding Fathers by defending the integrity and spirit of our Constitution, to be good custodians. They would no doubt frown on such a sweeping social and economic experiment in general, and this bill in particular might be akin to urinating on their graves.

Respectfully and sincerely,

Zach

KadaBOOOM

01-11-2012

There is an old egyptian aphorism that says " They come to the monkeys (RED HEAD) and smell it" that's what the congress did .....

pyrolord777

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakouden View Post
Obama veto's this, gains the respect and vote of all gamer's.
Obama passes, and he will have lost a ton of votes, even for the gamers that didn't vote, they will when the time comes, I can guarantee that.
Obama already passed a much more dangerous law called DMAA. He snuck it in during new years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IeuE16LLDY

Raventook

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryze View Post
Summoners,

We’re not usually inclined to comment on politics. We’re a game company, and making games is just a whole lot more fun.

But there is legislation under consideration today by the United States Congress that gives us serious concern.

Called the "Stop Online Piracy Act" (SOPA) in the House of Representatives and the "PROTECT IP Act" (PIPA) in the Senate, these bills are a misguided attempt to curb the illegal piracy of copyrighted content (like movies, music and games). Preventing piracy of copyrighted content is a laudable goal, and Riot supports legitimate efforts to combat these activities and protect content creators (like us).

However, SOPA/PIPA goes far beyond simply addressing piracy. This proposed legislation actually threatens any website that features user-generated content. In effect, any copyright holder could file a claim that a streaming website is hosting unauthorized content (such as a song in the background of a League of Legends stream). Under the law, ad networks, payment providers and internet service providers are now potentially liable for their user’s infringement. These services could then be compelled to immediately remove support for a streaming website or face a costly legal battle – at a minimum cutting off financial means, and likely shutting off the site entirely.

How would SOPA/PIPA impact League of Legends players?

• Kills streaming. If any single streamer plays copyrighted music (or alt tabs into a movie or other owned content) on their stream, there is a significant risk of the entire streaming service being taken down. In some cases, it could even result in criminal penalties for the streamer.
  • Threatens independent content creation. Services we all use to create and share League of Legends related content, such as YouTube, Reddit, DeviantArt, streaming websites such as Own3d and Twitch, and more would be at risk of shutting down or greatly restricting the scope of legitimate content allowed on their sites.
  • Attacks our community. Aspects of our service such as the official forums and potentially even in-game chat, could be taken down or have their features reduced based on user behavior.
  • Other harmful effects. SOPA/PIPA undermine established intellectual property legislation like the DMCA, raise serious constitutional free speech issues, and could even compromise the basic security infrastructure of the internet.

Congress will reconvene at the end of January, and with a long roster of supporters on both sides of the aisle, SOPA/PIPA could actually pass. The likelihood is so great that technology giants including Google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter have gone so far as to publicly consider a simultaneous blackout in protest.

Riot Games is opposed to SOPA/PIPA in their present form. While we do support efforts to prevent online piracy, the current form of this legislation comes at far too high a cost for us, our players, and online communities across the internet.

Help us take a stand. Write your congressperson today and voice your opposition to this misguided and harmful legislation: [URL2="http://bit.ly/A2F85t"]https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173[/URL2]

EDIT: Riot Games Attorney RiotLomar is currently doing an [URL2="http://bit.ly/xgFaTO"]AMAA on Reddit[/URL2]. Have a question? Check it out!
Already voiced my opinion actually - glad Riot is courageous enough to stand up as well.

painboots

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel Snow View Post
I actually feel bad for all the artists out there (musicians, actors, film makers). They all have their work pirated and they lose a huge profit, they spend millions on a film and only make a couple thousand profit... Because why buy a movie if you can download it as a torrent? Etc..

SOPA *would* have been okay if it didn't go as far as to re-enact the chinese internet filter system -- only worse.
a couple of thousand in profit? What fantasy world are you living in? Good actors can make a million or more in a film.

AirRhino

01-11-2012

I HOPE SOPA PASSES.

ONLY PEOPLE WHO DON"T WANT SOPA ARE THE ONES in violation of it.

Tasha

01-11-2012

Asia supports Riot against SOPA.