The Quality Guides Project

1234511 ... 20
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

berzerk dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-14-2010

With the arival of Season 1, I think, nay, I know that a huge number of players are going to look to guides to step up their game. One of the problems with this is that for most champions, there is no near universally accepted guide (Hyfe's Competitive guide to Nasus is a great example). This forces the player to filter through many guides that are unviable, outdated, unfinished, or just plain crappy.
Here, I suggest that we, the community pull together and identify the best of the best and compile them into a master list for easy access to guides of upstanding quality. Guides will be added to the list via a nomination system. Each guide that receives 10 nominations will be added to the list. Later, I will add stricter rules and such to assure the continued quality of guides on the list, but for now we kinda need a list period. I am currently planning on switching to a new system soon. As such, I am looking for people interested in helping me update the project and help keep it maintained.

Nomination Rules:
1. You may nominate up to a maximum of one guide per play style per champion. This means you can nominate an AP Ezreal guide and an AD Ezreal guide, but not two AD Ezreal guides.
2. You may only nominate guides that cover builds that are generally accepted to be viable. I don't care how well your tank Ashe does, the vast majority of the community says she's a carry and her guides should reflect that.
3. You may not nominate you own guides. Otherwise, I'd have to go through every guide ever. *NEW* In the spirit of encouraging more nominations, there is now a shameless plug section! If you "nominate" your own guide and I deem it to not be bull, I will add it to the shameless plug section. Guides in the shameless plug section have no nominations, but they are there for easier consideration.
4. You may post guides from any LoL site. This includes, but is not limited to: here on the LoL boards, Leaguecraft, mobafire, etc.
5. If you are the first to nominate a guide, please include a link to said guide so that we can all see it in its glory. THIS IS MANDATORY. IF YOU DO NOT INCLUDE A LINK, I AM NOT GOING TO SPEND WHO KNOWS HOW LONG TO FIND IT AND I WILL NOT POST YOUR NOMINATION.
6. If you change your mind about a nomination, you may alter your nomination. Only your most recent nomination will be counted.

THE LEAN MEAN MASTER LIST OF QUALITY GUIDES
Annie
Advanced Annie- Be the Boss
Nasus
Hyfe's Guide to the Competitive Nasus

Nominated guides
Akali
GiRLSTAR & Medikai's Ultra Pro Semi-Comprenshive Semi-Comprehensible Akali Guide (5 noms)
Amumu
Gotta tank 'em all: a comprehensive guide to Amumu (4 noms)
Burning Heart Amumu (5 nom)
Ashe
3LeM3nT's Ashe Guide (2 noms)
Cho'Gath
AP Cho'Gath -- give it a shot (1 nom)
Evelynn
Evelynn the widowmaker - Advanced guide for Experts (1 nom)
Gangplank
Advanced Gangplank Guide (4 noms)
Parrrley Mechanics Guide (3 noms)
Garen
How to carry 80% of your games as Tank Garen (3 noms)
Garen on TT: Meatspin to Victory (1 nom)
Gragas
Gragas - The Weeba Wousa! (1 nom)
Heimerdinger
Oppenheimer (7 noms)
Janna
Janna - Babysittin' like a boss! (1 nom)
Kayle
AP Kayle, the saver of asses (2 nom)
Kassadin
Advanced Kassadin Guide (1 nom)
A Council Member's Take on Kassadin the Voidwalker (1 nom)
Kog'Maw
The competitive guide to AP Koggy (1 nom)
Malphite
How to build Malphite the RIGHT way (1 nom)
Malphite, the Immovable Monolith (1 nom)
Malzahar
GiRLSTAR's Spectacularly Awesome Malzaguy the Incredible Guide (4 noms)
Mordekaiser
The Codex Metallicus. (4 noms)
Mordekaiser in 5 minutes by Heat n Serve (7 noms)
Morgana
GiRLSTAR's Super Awesome Delicious Morgana Guide! (5 noms)
Morgana Hex - Support Queen (1 nom)
Morgana - a Comprehensive Guide to Gameplay and Strategy (1 nom)
Olaf
Ultimate Olaf Guide (2 noms)
Pantheon
1ronLung's Carry-on (1 nom)
Rammus
Rammus: Master of Assists (7 noms)
A Comprehensive Guide to Being, and Controlling with Rammus (1 nom)
Rammus the Magic Pinball (1 nom)
Ryze
The New Ryze, A Low AP Build (1 nom)
Shaco
[Counter]How to stop a Shaco (1 nom)
Shen
Stalyn's Big Book of Shen (2 noms)
Shen: Tank Assasin (1 nom)
Singed
AP/MR Singe Build (1 nom)
Sivir
God Tier Aura Sivir (5 noms)
Sivir's Spell Shield - The "What is and what isn't blocked" List (4 noms)
Taric
Taric - Gems are truly outrageous (1 nom)
Tristana
How to Destroy People By Shooting Water - A guide to Tristana. (1 nom)
Tryndamere
Manliness and Misconceptions - A Guide to Tryn (3 noms)
Twisted Fate
Contemporary Cardmaster: The Benadryl Jackson Way (1 nom)
KazuoKiriyama's Competitive Guide to Season 1 Twisted Fate (1 nom)
Twitch
The Rat Who Fell From Grace (1 nom)
Warwick
Wazzabi's Warwick Guide (2 noms)
Xin Zhao
16 Tips for Xin: An Informal Guide (1 nom)
Xin Zhao-simple guide (2 noms)
Multi-champ
Various video guides by Reginald (3 noms)
Miscellaneous
Thou Shalt read this MFing thread. (5 noms)
Playing to be Evil: Its Good to be Bad! (4 noms)
Heat n Serve's Guide to Mathcrafting (2 nom)
Beej's Guide to Lane Control and the Early Game (2 nom)
Fun Reads
The MFing Cho'Gath More than a few people have brought to my attention the lacking quality of this guide. However, it is rather entertaining and I find that it does give good mindset advice, if lacking in other areas. Make no doubt, mindset can make or break a champ for you. Just be warned: follow this guide at your own risk!

Shameless plugs, take a look.
Items to avoid and WHY(semi-guide)
Playing LoL on a Budget!
Gragas - Body Slammin' Cask Cannon
Mordekaiser: Fueled by Internet Rage

My goal here is to provide easy access to outstanding guides for those who want to further their competitive edge or simply become better at particular champs, not to run all of the other guides into oblivion. I would appreciate any cooperation in this endeavor to make this already amazing game more enjoyable to all.

Kynareth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-14-2010

Indubitably, Hyfe's Guide to the Competitive Nasus.
and I don't even play Nasus. It's incredible well thought out and put together.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=109093

Stalyn's Big Book of Shen over at Leaguecraft http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...+Book+of+Shen+ helped me get through my first few matches as Shen.

over at mobafire.com, if you select "browse builds" and search by vote or total views you can get an idea of which are some truly useful guides.

vulpixel

07-14-2010

This sounds like a huge task, but the results will be worth the effort... Darn you, now I have to re-read every blitzcrank, taric, and tristana guide.

berzerk dragon

07-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynareth
Indubitably, Hyfe's Guide to the Competitive Nasus.
and I don't even play Nasus. It's incredible well thought out and put together.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=109093

Stalyn's Big Book of Shen over at Leaguecraft http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...+Book+of+Shen+ helped me get through my first few matches as Shen.

over at mobafire.com, if you select "browse builds" and search by vote or total views you can get an idea of which are some truly useful guides.
Well I did mention Hyfe's guide in the intro, however it would be nice to go through the formalities anyway rather than ushering the guide in on my word alone. Good job with initiating. Ironically, I've been thinking of picking up Shen, so I'll definitely take a look at that guide :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulpixel
This sounds like a huge task, but the results will be worth the effort... Darn you, now I have to re-read every blitzcrank, taric, and tristana guide.
Tell me about it. I get to read EVERY guide that gets nominated (joy) in addition to working on my own Amumu guide. Honestly, I'm half doing this for myself. With a master list of "read this guide to do well with champ xyz," I might not have to spend 30 games feeding to get the feel for a new champ.

Dixta

07-14-2010

What do you suggest for amumu? Lane or Jungle? If you jungle how do you avoid it being warded? Does Oracles let you see them?

LaMilton Taeshan

07-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixta View Post
What do you suggest for amumu? Lane or Jungle? If you jungle how do you avoid it being warded? Does Oracles let you see them?
Stack sunfires.

LaMilton Taeshan

07-14-2010

bump?

Tuzvihar

07-14-2010

It is really a good idea, thumbs up. First of all i'd say, that 98% of the "guides" aren't guides at all, the writer just trows up some item, here and there, then he describes how to level the skills, but there is no real strategy discussed at all. However i found 3 excellent guides, and i'd say these should provide an example, how a guide should be detailed and written.

GiRLSTAR's Super Awesome Delicious Morgana Guide!

GiRLSTAR & Medikai's Ultra Pro Semi-Comprenshive Semi-Comprehensible Akali Guide

GiRLSTAR's Spectacularly Awesome Malzaguy the Incredible Guide

Thumbs up for GiRLSTAR also.

berzerk dragon

07-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixta View Post
Jungling on TT isn't really viable, but I would definitely jungle on SR (barring a higher priority jungler i.e. Warwick).Jungling does 3 things for Amumu:
1. It eliminates Amumu's weak laning
2. You can freely run aroud and cause havoc staring at level 5 or so
3. It let's you be a total badass five minutes into the game by soloing dragon at level 4.

However, you should still learn how to lane well in case you can't jungle for any reason. And please, oh please don't stack sunfires except against physical heavy teams. Amumu can be so much more effective with other items.

Spycrabs

07-15-2010

I support this and I would try to find an awesome Kassadin guide I was reading, but Leaguecraft is down atm.

1234511 ... 20