Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oleoay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
Didn't know you played League of Legends. My house is just outside your district in the 66th and Federal area. My high school in Illinois was one of the first ones wired to the internet and there were a lot of piracy raids on students tehre.

Richard Bergstrom on Facebook/Twitter.

Dark Hive

01-11-2012

guys watch Alex Jones on youtube he warns people about america' Tyranny and the NDAA + SOPA. and LOL i can't believe LOL cares

Oathkeeper456

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

i want to help as well, but i am a canadian lol player. what can i do to help with this petition?

DarkMyste

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorras View Post
Ofcourse, as they are afraid of free market. With their copycat on everything and army of lawyers they are so ready for SOPA and if it pass they will be able to shut down any competitors not so rich as them...or sony, ubisoft etc. All cheeky buggers, caring for nothing but how to steal even more money for us while saying it is completely legal to steal - because it is after all their content.

I will give willingly all my money to riot instead. Never buying anything from companies who support sopa. Just steal all their games from torrent instead. Rot in hell snakes.

actually there not supporting it they are making diablo 3 like steam games when you buy a game you get the disc to access the game and single player but all files are on there side except when you go online to play but all in all you need battle net to play diablo 3 sorta like how LOL works now but actvision wouldnt want this would make them a very sue crazy company due how much they do with blizzard con and dress up costume attire this could make it so they wouldn't be able to see the creativity of there fan if this bill passes even in any form right down to animations series that they support would dry up and be nonexistent

Thor Of Asgard

01-11-2012

I wrote Perlmutter about 2 months ago regarding this subject, and received no response. I honestly have no clue what his stance on the subject is. I didn't vote for him, so I don't expect him to accurately represent my interests in congress. Ah well, what can you do?

UsoRemix

01-11-2012

If SOPA passed...we'd have no more pony threads...THINK OF THE PONIES GUYS!!!!

Hellfire81

01-11-2012

I think we need to take this case to the Tribunal

Yippppeeekiyayy

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathkeeper456 View Post
i want to help as well, but i am a canadian lol player. what can i do to help with this petition?
enter random post codes until you find one that works

profit

Palindromic

01-11-2012

I can't believe these kinds of bills are even being considered by congress. It's a ridiculous idea that will have long lasting and extremely negative effects on almost every internet user. I just don't understand how they cannot see this themselves.

LerLaLonde

01-11-2012

I think the real reason Riot is apposed to SOPA is because of the threat posed to Gangplank.