Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gerry Wong

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, I’m greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

I’m particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

I’ve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
I never knew a Congressman was in the LoL community. 0.o I really don't want to SOPA to pass. If they going to take away my Champs guides and Minecraft vids (As It said it applied to other games).

Lugia978

01-11-2012

-_-

And all the potted plant thought was "Oh, not again."

HEX Zero Limitz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Rage!!! !.!

GoKuZinhOo

01-11-2012

Olá sou um jogador brasileiro então peço perdão por não postar meu comentário em inglês. Pois bem sou contra o projeto SOPA pelos meios usados por ele exemplo ''sou contra a pirataria mais já pensaram que tudo que possa envolver imagens,videos,jogos até mesmo aqui no fórum como simples situações possa resultar em danos a toda a comunidade não só virtual mais também pessoal ??? Acho que o projeto pode ser sim bem útil na luta contra a pirataria mais que deveríamos nós manter contra ele pelo fato de que o dano que poderá ser causado não tem precedentes nós jogadores que estamos sempre criando novas historias e determinadas coisas com produtos protegidos pela Copyright.

ABAIXO SOPA A INTERNET NÃO É UM PAIS QUE SE APLICA LEIS E SIM DETERMINADOS AMBIENTRES QUE TEM SUA LEIS ''SITES''

DarkCypher

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of Rudy View Post
This completely caught me off guard.
+1 for same reaction. O_o

Triboon

01-11-2012

Is there a way to check out who supports this and who doesn't, because I want to know ( for example ) if my state congresswoman supports this. If not I would like to know so I can E-mail her with this issue, and I would like other people to be able to do the same in all 50 states.

Xnubs

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEKTR1986 View Post
really HOT discussion is going here!

I have couple questions:

1) How everything is going? Do "WE" have a chance?

2) Did someone contact other companies? Are they doing from their side?

as it goes it looks like it will pass. But hope that will change before the vote in a few weeks.

Dirty Foot

01-11-2012

I didn't think I could ever be happier with Riot, but my respect for this company just skyrocketed.

TigStripe

01-11-2012

SOPA: anti-fun.

Nerf now.

pyrolord777

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryze View Post
However, SOPA/PIPA goes far beyond simply addressing piracy. This proposed legislation actually threatens any website that features user-generated content. In effect, any copyright holder could file a claim that a streaming website is hosting unauthorized content (such as a song in the background of a League of Legends stream). Under the law, ad networks, payment providers and internet service providers are now potentially liable for their user’s infringement[1]. These services could then be compelled to immediately remove support for a streaming website or face a costly legal battle – at a minimum cutting off financial means, and likely shutting off the site entirely.

How would SOPA/PIPA impact League of Legends players?

• [2]
  • Kills streaming. If any single streamer plays copyrighted music (or alt tabs into a movie or other owned content) on their stream, there is a significant risk of the entire streaming service being taken down. In some cases, it could even result in criminal penalties for the streamer.
  • Threatens independent content creation. Services we all use to create and share League of Legends related content, such as YouTube, Reddit, DeviantArt, streaming websites such as Own3d and Twitch, and more would be at risk of shutting down or greatly restricting the scope of legitimate content allowed on their sites.
  • Attacks our community. Aspects of our service such as the official forums and potentially even in-game chat, could be taken down or have their features reduced based on user behavior.
  • Other harmful effects.[3] SOPA/PIPA undermine established intellectual property legislation like the DMCA, raise serious constitutional free speech issues, and could even compromise the basic security infrastructure of the internet.

Congress will reconvene at the end of January, and with a long roster of supporters on both sides of the aisle, SOPA/PIPA could actually pass. The likelihood is so great that technology giants including Google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter have gone so far as to publicly consider a simultaneous blackout in protest.

Riot Games is opposed to SOPA/PIPA in their present form. While we do support efforts to prevent online piracy, the current form of this legislation comes at far too high a cost for us, our players, and online communities across the internet.

Help us take a stand. Write your congressperson today and voice your opposition to this misguided and harmful legislation: [URL2="http://bit.ly/A2F85t"]https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173[/URL2]

EDIT: Riot Games Attorney RiotLomar is currently doing an [URL2="http://bit.ly/xgFaTO"]AMAA on Reddit[/URL2]. Have a question? Check it out!

1. Thats currently how it is in China. Their extremely strict with their Internet access.

2.Theres only 2 problems I have with this 1. it would greatly impact Xfire and other streaming as said and 2. it would mean people like http://www.youtube.com/user/frndlynbrhudmxcn would never exist again. (he was a popular tribute video maker all his videos blended with the songs he chose perfectly till he got perma banned and all his videos deleted) On this plus side this could mean no more pokeshipping.

3. Freedom of speech needed exclusions added to it to begin with anyways, its far too lenient. For example you could randomly walk up to a woman and call her a ***** and not get into any trouble for it (other than the possibility of the woman beating you up)

Overall the Internet has been without law for far too long and I believe its time for change. Yes I do agree this law is overkill but some kind of law needs to be passed to bring order to this lawless land.

Now that I think of it this law reminds me of an episode of "Sliders"
In one dimension they landed it it seemed like a true utopia but as the episode progressed it was proven to be a false utopia by limiting its population through "lottery" The family of the winners would get huge sums of cash and the winners themselves would be willingly killed in order to limit the human population. There were lots of protesters holding signs such as " birth control - yes, lottery - no", kinda like here people are saying "self regulation-yes, SOPA-no"