Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Schiffer

01-11-2012

That's such a bad law, I hope it will never pass or else we're all doomed o.o (Back to 1920 ? Yay ! )

I live in Canada so I can't help with the page you talk about in the OP but still all my thoughts are with you. Millions of americans getting their internet completely cut off would suck so much....

Lantean

01-11-2012

Also for you Americans think of how much your internet costs will go up to manage the tracking of users who are breaking the new SOPA law? Your internet will probably double.

Maestro Gyro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Good. I will not write my congressman, no in game chat you say? That's fine with me, the things said in it are horrible and deserve to be taken down. The only reason you want to stop SOPA is because you feel that your company and your game's community cannot handle simple copyright laws, and thus you fear your company will be shut down making you lose money. I seriously doubt that you give any kind of a **** about this community, you just want money. Everyone wants money. Something comes along and threatens to stop the flow of money to your pocket, what do you do? Try to stop it. I see through you Riot.

LordWillard

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantean View Post
Or the American uses an outside proxy like the gold farmers from China do.
This is possible, but as previously posted, I suggest that you pick up the appropriate software NOW in order to avoid having to get it from a 3rd party later, in case the bill actually gets through. It could be that the provider of the software would be seen as an 'enabler', and thus shut down.

GigaPro

01-11-2012

Down with it!

Jaigar

01-11-2012

Riot is on the cutting edge as far as I'm concerned and one of the pioneers of the new business models internet communications can bring. All their money from people buying Riot Points voluntarily because they love the game. Communities have always made or broke (funny sounding in past tense) online gaming, and they need to do whatever they can to stop it.

Sadly its the dinosaurs who are pushing for SOPA. The old record label industries whose time has past. They do not want to adapt but instead want to use government to keep from becoming extinct. Most of us understand adapt or die, but they simply do not; they'd rather drag us all down with them.

We saw what Congress did during TARP, buying into all the fear, ignoring the overwhelming numbers of their constituents who were against it. They will just do the same here.

Thefriskygazelle

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Halen View Post
Sorry, but i support the SOPA and PIP, Its kinda bull how you promote the use of bad language and allow others to verbally harass others in, and out of game.

Think about it riot, what did people tell you earlier, but you ignored them, that they would bring this "harassment and cyber bullying" to the attention of a higher authority. Sorry, your voice isnt all that matters here riot

have a good day

It's funny... this guy thinks its just effecting LoL? No offense riot, but if this bill does pass, u can probably count facebook, twitter, youtube, and any other entertainment website gone... because u know what? trolls like this guy are going to use the loopholes of this bill, so go ahead, support bs.... all ur social networks and gaming websites are gone if this is pass.... and btw riot, keep up the good work with league of legends, dont let pansies like this guy bring ur hope down, my support is with u and curbing this bill before the gov't ruins my life anymore

Ryneff

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
Mr. Polis. Please do me a favor and move to Ohio and bring some of that amazingness with you. This place needs someone like you here. That is all. Thank you for being awesome.

NovanFlame

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Thank goodness I live in Colorado. Anyway, we support you Riot in trying to stop SOPA!

ZzRadio

01-11-2012

I love how people just now noticing SOPA are panicing rofl.