Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Avalon Bright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Yay for Riot!

Krial

01-11-2012

fdsafdsa

COOPAR THE SEX

01-11-2012

Believe it or not; this would heavily impact education. Teachers wouldn't be able to teach as well as they do today because most of their material sometimes is off a YouTube videos or other public websites. They link all this on their presentations. My physics teacher (college) had all kinds of links in her work. Please don't stop SOPA just for enjoying the internet; stop it for also people's education being threatened.

Mirodir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

I'm glad I live in a country where the population can act against the parliament and would be able to stop SOPA or anything similar from getting through.
After getting you jealous I should realize though, that this will affect me in a way or another. What I think will happen if this comes through and stays for the long run is that many companies will move their headquarters and servers out of the US and IP-block the states. So for me most things will stay the same, but I'd have a harder time to connect with my friends in overseas.
So please do anything you can to stop SOPA.
...thanks RIOT for waking the people up.

Insomnium

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
<3

Erafumo

01-11-2012

I love you, Riot.

Ferien

01-11-2012

I'm pretty surprised that politics have come to the League of Legends community, and even more so, the fact that a Congressman has posted here...
Perhaps because I'm young and dumb, or that I haven't been looking at news recently, I was pretty shocked to learn of SOPA. I heard news about Congress passing a law on Internet usage, but I didn't think it would go this far.
My question here is, what's the point of SOPA? Frankly, I can't think of any benefits that would come with it if it were to be passed - or at least benefits to the common citizen.
SOPA:
1. Large companies make more money. So the poorer get poorer and the richer get richer in this declining economy.
2. Creativity rates go down. Yes, I personally dislike Justin Bieber's songs and the content in them, but remember that it was YouTube that first brought him to fame. What about the millions of other people out there who wish to post their own talent? I can't imagine YouTube being taken down or even limited - absolutely horrifying in so many ways.
3. Humans are selfish and greedy. My personal thought is that altruism does not exist, so even if the government tries to shut down piracing people will, and ALWAYS will find a way. And what will the government do then? Spend more of their valuable budget (debt) on trying to track people down and throw them in jail?
4. People can no longer enjoy Guardsman Bob's songs and having watched one or two of his games, I have to admit, I enjoy his songs and I'm pretty sure he synchronizes with them well in-game since music is known to stimulate us.
SOPA is kind of ridiculous, unexpected, and unnecessary. The government should be dealing with bigger issues...

Just a High Schooler's thoughts on this.

Ensign Epic

01-11-2012

Quote:
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
You, my kind sir, are a baller, gentleman, AND a scholar of the highest degree and I wish you a long and prosperous political career.

SPEKTR1986

01-11-2012

OK!
WE CAN SUPPORT anti-SOPA from RIOT side!

I hope, there will be help also from others sides: VALVE (CS, HL, Portal1-2), Blizzard (WC3, SC1-2, ...), S2 (HoN) and many other small and big companies!

SorsScriba

01-11-2012

Quote:
*blush*

There are a few who get this, but your calls will help convince many representatives who haven't decided yet on this.

Jared
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcellul View Post
already sent e-mails to MI representatives. Realllyyyyy hope this dosent pass :'(
I'm from Michigan as well and here are the responses from my reps from a drive in December. IIRC Levin is a supporter of the bill.

Quote:
Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me about intellectual property rights (IPR) and online privacy. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me.

Intellectual property rights are legal rights granted by governments to encourage and reward innovation. These rights ensure that inventors reap the benefits of their work. Through IPRs, governments grant a temporary, legal monopoly to innovators by giving them the right to control the use of their creations by others. IPRs also allow inventors to trade or license their work to others in return for fees and/or royalty payments.

U.S. industries that rely on IPRs contribute significantly to U.S. economic growth, employment, and international trade. Counterfeiting and piracy in other countries may result in the loss of billions of dollars of revenue for U.S. firms, as well as the loss of jobs. There also is serious concern about the potential health and safety consequences of counterfeit pharmaceutical drugs and other products. The responsibility for developing IPRs policy, engaging in IPR-related international negotiations, and enforcing IPR laws cuts across several different federal agencies. The main structures for coordinating interagency efforts are the National Intellectual Property Law Enforcement Coordinating Council (NIPLECC) and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

On May 12, 2011, Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) introduced the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property (PROTECT IP) Act of 2011 (S.968). Among other things, this legislation would authorize the Attorney General or an intellectual property right owner harmed by an internet site dedicated to infringement activities (ISDIA) to take a number of steps to act against the operator or owner of an ISDIA site. On July 22, 2011, the Senate Judiciary Committee favorably reported the PROTECT IP Act. It now awaits consideration by the full Senate.

One of the most effective ways to keep the information you provide online private is by utilizing security software and by adjusting your computer settings. It also is important to use the security features offered by your web browser. For information on how to protect your personal information online, you can visit [http://www.onguardonline.gov/topics/computer-security.aspx]. Additionally, should you suspect you have been a victim of identity theft or are interested in learning more about identity fraud, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-IDTHEFT or visit their website at [https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/].

I will certainly keep your views in mind as the Senate continues to consider legislation related to intellectual property rights. Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,
Carl Levin
Quote:
Dear xxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting me about your concerns with legislation designed to fight Internet piracy. I appreciate hearing from you.

I believe that in a globally-competitive environment, it is more important than ever to balance both public and private rights to support innovation and creativity.

As you may know, the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property (PROTECT IP) Act was introduced by Senator Patrick Leahy on May 12, 2011. This legislation would penalize Internet sites that engage in the unlawful sharing or sale of counterfeit goods or services, which range from new movie and music releases, to pharmaceuticals and consumer products. I will keep your position on this bill in mind as it moves through the legislative process.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator