Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HakAttack

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Barbarian Bill

01-11-2012

Stop sopa +1

CommandShockwave

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssionKnight View Post
i'd love to help you, since so many sites are american and thus this law affects the world and not just the US, but i'm Canadian. :x
This T^T

Is there anything us Canadians can do to help?

earthsahcker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

IMO this is BS,
i'm not even american and i'm afraid of this bill...
you know, can you imagine the internet without youtube, facebook, or any other cool site?
if this bill pass, it will be the internet doomsday
i though that games would not get harmed with this bill, but when i read the post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomar View Post
This, this, this. And yet another example of something that would go away if SOPA passes. As the bill's currently written, no way we could continue to have image linking on the forums.
now i'm even more afraid.
sorry for the bad english...

Hobden

01-11-2012

As a canadian This does not directly effect me but I can see how it can and will effect the development and entertainment value of the internet.

way to unleash your internet hordes.

EIDee

01-11-2012

Tough to write to your Congressman when you don't have one :/

It's seriously frustrating sitting here in Europe powerless while the US government proposes poorly written legislation that will cripple the internet for the rest of the world while utterly failing at what it's supposed to do.

Lord Ekul

01-11-2012

On a side note, isn't if a bit odd how there is literally almost NO mainstream media coverage on SOPA? IT'S A CONSPIRACY, I TELL YOU!

Guy secretly paying the media to keep quiet about it; "Oh yeah? Well you can't spell conspiracy without piracy, PIRATE."

Me; ಠ_ಠ

Kurvel

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont4Get2Eat View Post
This is crazy. SOPA needs a nerf. NOW. Make it happen Riot <3
May the almighty nerf hammer of Riot games fall upon SOPA with a swift wraith and the blazing inferno of unrelenting mercy to which there is no return.

Signed, Sent, Delivered.

Aliete

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troblems View Post
Take 2 minutes from your time to fill out your information and have this E-mail sent. The link is provided in the original post but here it is if you didn't see it.

https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173

Do what you can to stop SOPA, every E-Mail counts.
Unfortunately I'm in Canada so my postal code can't be found on that U_U. What can people who aren't in America do?

sibby

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryze View Post
However, SOPA/PIPA goes far beyond simply addressing piracy.
I'm glad you mentioned PIPA. There are so many people focused on SOPA, which is worse, that PIPA is not getting the exposure it needs.