Summoner Progression Rollout

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

10-15-2009
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Husbane: Unfortunately, it was previously actual time passed. I share the same concerns as you, but I think they don't want to punish people for playing very much. I guess I understand where they are coming from. It'd be VERY INTERESTING if they provided BOTH options. One option for X time, one option for X games. That'd be the fairest way, in my opinion.

Morbis

10-15-2009

I dont want to be level 1 Q.Q

Arete

10-15-2009

I could care less about my runes and masteries, I just want to be able to play with heroes I truly enjoy playing with.

I really do hope out of the 10, I can find a few I like... and... not have them taken up by someone.

Also, anyone who "purchases" heroes will be at a DISTINCT advantage being the only Ashe or Yi ect, facing a bunch of the more generic "good for newbies" heroes that might be on this rotation list..

The first 50 games playing vs nobody but those 10 heroes might get annoying too.

TSB Giles

10-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arete View Post
Also, anyone who "purchases" heroes will be at a DISTINCT advantage being the only Ashe or Yi ect, facing a bunch of the more generic "good for newbies" heroes that might be on this rotation list..
Ashe and Yi are both "good for newbies."

Bromosapian

10-15-2009

Limiting the heroes I can play is possibly the worst decision I have seen in a PVP game I have seen ina while.

Crunkleton

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-15-2009

No offense but the slow summoner level progression feels too much like and MMO. What was wrong with a level per win? The game is really only balanced at 30. New players will have a much bigger disadvantage if it takes them longer to get to 30...

Blmz

10-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild****angel22 View Post
No offense but the slow summoner level progression feels too much like and MMO. What was wrong with a level per win? The game is really only balanced at 30. New players will have a much bigger disadvantage if it takes them longer to get to 30...
Better yet they have more time actually learning to play the game before accidentally hitting to lvl 30 :-P

neojb1990

10-15-2009

The game from the start was supposed to have progression angel. There is no point in having levels if you can just reach the max in a day ya know? I'm giddy about the whole new thing. That jester looks like hes gonna get the first cry of OP, i forsee that coming. And then the new little engineer dude is gonna be awesome, WE CAN FINALLY REPAIR TOWERS! WOO!. Bring on the new patch!

siNNerman

10-15-2009

Will European players be able to earn IP and buy Heroes after this patch goes live, cause there`s something about that in the Split server thread. I just played a game on EU, it was ridiculously slow, the game would just freeze for moment, i wanna know should i delete my US client tonight as well...

The Farkinator

10-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawl View Post
greetings. ive really enjoyed playing this game over the last couple of days. just read through everyone's posts and i have a few comments:

1. the advent of 10 heroes starting out is a great idea in my book. everyone starts on an even keel and are forced to use strategies that would otherwise not be thought of.
2. does anyone else feel that, at least during first 10 minutes of a game, ranged characters have an undesired benefit over regular melee classes? would there be a way to apply some of those nice graphs to the statistics of ranged summoner's level gain vs. melee's? maybe this is more of a personal opinion, but it seems that, in most games these days, ranged/caster classes are 'favored' by the coding itself and therefor present an unfavored 'passive' benefit over same level melee summoners.
3. has anyone else noticed that extremely high leveled characters were being placed in the matchmakers with players like myself just starting out creating an extremely unbalanced and aggravating game? as i understand it the matchmaker system is suppose to put you in a group similar to your skill rating but almost every game had lvl 30's alongside lvl 1-10's. also, there is a lot of math and fancy numbers being put into the matchmaker, but, can someone explain in laymens terms why we cant just have all lvl 1-10s in a group, and then maybe every few levels from there on grouped together? is it an issue of not having enough for the queue's?

-squawl.
I shall try and reply to your comments as numbered. I won't elaborate on 1, because I agree with you.

On comment 2, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the philosophy is ranged heroes are generally weaker statistically and less powerful than melee heroes. While ranged heroes level up faster, people often (or at least in games I have played) put melee heroes as solos so they can keep up with the level curve and run around dominating most everyone on the map brave enough to travel alone. Basically, melee heroes may be disadvantaged early game IF they don't solo or if solo lane is already taken. However, this disadvantage, (again, from my experience) only lasts a while.

If you haven't noticed, it did not take a whole bunch of effort to obtain level 30 in the beta before it was cleared because each level only had 300 xp to level up. Even now, you still get a good amount of xp for just plain sucking. (I am terribly bad, so I know) As long as you don't leave, you still gain a decent amount of xp. Therefore, it didn't take much skill to attain level 30. What LoL uses is the ELO system, which is basically a ratio comparing you to other players. If you beat a relatively good player, your ELO will improve more than if you beat a bad player. It's a bunch of mathematical equations that are much better suited for computers, but yeah. That's the point.