Which one is better: Civilization IV or Civilization V?

Civilization IV 24 40.68%
Civilization V 35 59.32%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Civilization IV v. Civilization V

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaykoboy

12-26-2011

Which do you prefer?

For me, it's Civ IV. Although the graphics on Civ V are amazing, I don't like how you can't stack units. They also botched a lot of other things up, IMO, that I don't have the time to go into.

There's a poll above, so you can vote on which one wins.

-Jaykoboy-

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

12-26-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

i haven't spent too much time with v, but right now my ranking is as follows:
iii
v
ii
iv
(never played the first one)

Yaezakura

12-26-2011

Of the two, I honestly prefer V. I just think the streamlining they did was really healthy for the game. A lot of people got up in arms over it, but complexity for its own sake does not make a solid product.

Arixa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
i haven't spent too much time with v, but right now my ranking is as follows:
iii
v
ii
iv
(never played the first one)
Eww how? Three took like 2000 years to finish a turn cause of how workers interacted with the engine. That alone makes it the worst of the bunch.

Tetroneaque

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2011

I prefer V. The reason I say this is because it actually made military victory viable without taking longer than every other victory option. No more stacks of doom with like an entire army on one square. I like how you can actually use terrain better and each unit matters. The resources seem more important as well.

Also I kinda love/hate those city states in V. They seem to spark all sorts of conflicts for me, like I'll be protecting one to get it's resources and someone attacks them thus causing world war 12.

Jaykoboy

12-26-2011

I didn't find it streamlined. In Civ IV, I leapt in as a noob, accidentally on a relatively high level for a noob (I think it was about Chieftan) and I still understood everything I needed to. On Civ V: You need to understand everything, but it isn't too complex. Civ IV, you don't need everything, but it's fairly complex.

Helps that I'm taking a Human Geography class. That boost my performance a lot, because I actually understand the terminology.

Daxisheart

12-26-2011

3 was my first foray, followed by 4 and naturally 5. For some reason I encountered MASSIVE MASSIVE lag halfway through large maps during the later stages/end game, so I can't say too much, but I liked a lot of the simplicity/basicness of 3, while 4 and 5 felt a fair bit more feature-ish. The entire series seems to rely on a fair bit of chance though, particularaly with how finding tribes that teaches you tech in 3 puts things at massive advantages.

Turboblazer

12-26-2011

Three and Five are definitely my favorites. The change from stacking units was huge, but I hated that mechanic. The weight of each unit may be a bit high now but I definitely prefer it to the old ones.

Vacus

12-26-2011

5 is better than 4, but 2 is better than either.

Warriorbrood

12-26-2011

Forget Civilization IV and Civilization V, get Fall From Heaven II. It is a total conversion mod for Civ IV.