Important Information Regarding IP Restrictions in Europe

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

10-13-2009
3 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
So again to make it even clearer and actually get answer:
If I play on EU servers I wont be able to play normal (ranked or unranked or whatever every day games) with players on US servers, right?
Players with a European IP address will not be able to log into the North American service and play every-day games. You are correct.

Chainyk

10-13-2009

What about Russia

10-13-2009

*facepalm*

How was this the best choice? I mean, why not just leave the Euro servers open for people who want to play on them? There was enough Euro players already, forcing people who want to play with their American clanmates/guildies to ONLY play on European is just a serious dick move.

I'm in a guild with two Danes, a Brit, and a Russian, all of them have great internet connections, and we were planning on playing a bit of LoL in our free time, as we generally play L4D together, Aion, TF2, and many other team based games, but due to this, if we tried it with LoL, they'd get kicked to their servers, and be forced to play with other Europeans, who most of them are trying to avoid because well, the Russian hates his community, the Brit doesn't like having to deal with people who don't speak English, and the Danes don't play games without their friends.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty disappointed right now, and a bit pissed, forcing people to play with a certain crowd is never a good move, and never really needed, there would have been large communities only planning on playing Euro anyway, I don't think the entire Polish LoL community would have wanted to play NA, all this is doing is screwing over the select people who want to play with friends in NA, or who have good reasons why they don't want to play with their specific IP range.

At least giving people the option to just grab the NA version of LoL, and being able to play NA due to that would at least give these people a chance to play with their friends, it may dilute the EU community a bit, but these people won't be playing LoL most likely if they can't play NA, judging by the responses in this thread, and just knowing my friends.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

10-13-2009
4 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
What about Russia
Russian players are not impacted by this decision.

HappyNihil

10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Players with a European IP address will not be able to log into the North American service and play every-day games. You are correct.
Thank you for confirmation.

Lomme

10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I am so angry and disappointed.

I have played on servers hosted by GOA in both DAoC and Warhammer. I swore to myself never to give them another dime.

I actually wanted to pay for this free game, but if I am forced to play on GOA servers, I will not.

Tecumseh

10-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarion View Post
That's the worst thing you could possibly do, given that the majority of the players with any history with GOA expect slow patches, bugs, poor communication, outdated websites (For the lolz check out the final paragraph of their FAQ. Early 2009 you say? :/ ) and in short, an inferior experience.
Patches have been a little behind so far, but both companies are committed to having simultaneous updates once the game is launched.

There are a few localisation bugs left in the game, but they're being weeded out by our testers.

Regarding communication. We have a blog, an IRC channel, a twitter, a news section, a Youtube channel (with videos created by GOA) and of course we will have the new website (and forums) that were co-designed by GOA and Riot. All major announcements will be made simultaneously on both sides of the Pond (as we did for the present news for instance)

It's true that the FAQ on teh present website is a bit outdated, but the new website, with the new FAQ, will be up very soon

Tecumseh

Chainyk

10-13-2009

good ...cause i don't wanna play with Russians ...hahah "Evil"

ImaBastard

10-13-2009

I feel like playing Hon...

Ravenbane

10-13-2009

Great to see how Pendragon sidesteps all the hard questions...

Why don't you or Tecumseh anwer some of those people who wonder how this is the best solution for us in Europe?

I am sorry Riot, you game is awesome, and the best fun I had online in a while. But this is ridiculous. Having separate servers for US and EU is bad enough, and for a strategy game, a bad joke.

But having GOA...their history speaks for itself - which Europeans have told you about for months - and the current EU beta confirms it all.

In the US, I get no bugs, and have a great ping. In the EU, the ping is about the same, but it is riddled with bugts. I have ro restart my client after every match! Two weeks prior to launch.

They can't even tell us about the pre-order- again, 2 weeks prior to release.

I am sorry Riot, but this is a big "F*** you" at us Europeans who love(d) your game.