Viable AP champion?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Altorr

12-15-2011

Hi all, I am looking for a fun viable AP champion in Dominion. I find myself getting bored with the tanky ad rat race. where its all about building more ad and more armor than the other guy. AD is so easily countered and ARMOR items are easy to to add into builds. Magic Resist is more difficult to add into most champions builds due in no small part to there not being an Atmas or sunfire cape for Magic Resist. Most players dont build magic resist so I feel like that an ap champion with a fairly high MPEN and high ap should be able to do a ton of damage.

What are some fun AP (or hybrid) champions that you feel still fit into the current meta of dominion? Alternatively what AP champions do you have a lot of fun playing in dominion, even if they maybe arent the most "viable".

Veztai

12-15-2011

Kassadin and Ryze are probably the strongest magic damage champs, if you're looking for top "viability". But other champs that do well are: Cassiopeia, Heimerdinger, Fiddlesticks, Poppy, Gragas, Karthus, maybe Anivia, but she's more my preference, lol

Forgot a couple: Soraka, Morgana, Maokai, Eve, Akali...
There's actually quite a few decent magic users, =D

Basist

12-15-2011

Ryze is always a good choice for tanky ap damage to counter their AD team. I've been occasionally playing Orianna and I find she is a load of fun on Dominion, and she is good. *gasp*

Karth is always a great champ for insta global cap denial or getting that one kill. Dying on your point is hilarious because they can't touch it for 10 seconds. Cass is also a stomp machine, you just have to land those Q's.

Argodis

12-15-2011

All AP champs are a bit underwhelming on Dominion but they're still viable.

My favorites are LeBlanc, Anivia, Lux, Zilean, and Orianna.

Swain is one of the few AP carries that can be considered a strong pick.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

12-15-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

ap ezreal is a lot of fun, and if he gets a couple kills at the initial windmill fight he can be a monster. he's also one of the better 'hextech sweeper' champs which can make shaco a non-issue.

my #1 favorite and tryhard champ right now is cassi. too good! >_<

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

12-15-2011

It sounds to me like you just want someone who does magic damage, not necessarily an AP champion...

Yorick, Heim, Shaco, Poppy and Kass are top picks
Cass: good sustained damage and strong poking
Karthus: weaker sustained but better defender due to global utility
Maokai: very strong defender but no global
Singed: more of a tank than a caster, but his magic damage is still very significant
Ryze: gains damage from tank items. good CC, good damage, free spellvamp from ult, the only thing he lacks are range and a global.
Lux: strong poking and has long range ult, but damage is rather low overall
Kayle: good sustained and moderate burst, but you mostly play her for the ult
Zilean: strong poking but weak sustained, but you play him for the ult/support
Teemo: same as Kayle, but you play him for shrooms and to counter autoattackers
Nidalee: she's a jerk, invisible spears are op and heals are annoying
Fizz: also a jerk
Akali: good sustained damage but very squishy if CCed since she relies on spellvamping to stay alive
Fiddle****s: CC bot and decent magic damage, but very reliant on ulting (don't expect to pull off surprise crowstorms in dominion, just pull it out in fights once they've blown CC and watch the health melt)
Katarina: ridiculous damage but not easy to play effectively against a CC heavy team (almost impossible, even)
Karma: has potential but not easy to play effectively without a premade team
Morg: shouldn't need to explain this one
Veigar: great CC but it takes a very long time for him to start doing significant damage
Warwick: magewick does work in dominion

EMeta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veztai View Post
Kassadin and Ryze are probably the strongest magic damage champs, if you're looking for top "viability". But other champs that do well are: Cassiopeia, Heimerdinger, Fiddlesticks, Poppy, Gragas, Karthus, maybe Anivia, but she's more my preference, lol

Forgot a couple: Soraka, Morgana, Maokai, Eve, Akali...
There's actually quite a few decent magic users, =D
What he said. Also, Singed & Fizz. Aniva is brutal with an experienced player but pretty blah with anyone else. Cass, Soraka, Mao & Karthus clean up bot pretty well. I really can't recommend Fiddle--the more frequent skirmishes of CS hurt him a lot since he doesn't have his ult for most of them & without it his dps is pretty sad. Morgana starts pretty good, but is too easily countered--her combo just doesn't do quite enough & her cds are too long.

Kass, Akali, & Poppy are some of the better assassins, if you're looking for that kind of play. Fizz does that as well, but he trades slightly less damage for being much harder to kill. Singed, Soraka & Ryze are the good tanky mages. I've heard tales of good Gragas & Eves, but have yet to see them myself. No good word on Ahri yet.

GTV NRAGE

12-15-2011

AP Eve can be a strong pick, less versatile midgame compared to triforce/AD Eve, but once she gets lichbane/deathcap she melts faces with insane burst.

AP/CDR plank is also surprisingly strong with evil tome/cdr boots/rabadon/lichbane.

MVpmack

12-15-2011

I think that if you're claiming Fiddle is bad in CS you're probably misjudging. Anyone with two lowish cooldown crowd controls is worth respecting, period. I'm not saying he's one of the best or anything, but in teamfights his fear and silence are extremely valuable.

To be honest, the list of viable AP champs in Dom is huge. There are way more viable AP characters in Dom than AD or otherwise. Carries generally don't get the gold to truly be hypercarries while mages tend to be able to build a few key items and still have some gold for defense.

NavyGothic

12-15-2011

From the OP; sounds like you don't necessarily want an AP caster. You want someone with heavy magic damage. There are plenty of those who can do well on Dominion, both top and bot (with bot, magic damage champs are far more popular than physical).

A few examples of popular choices (note: far from an exhaustive list):

Top: Ryze, Kassadin, Akali, AP Poppy, Fizz, on-hit Kayle, on-hit Kog'maw, AP Shaco

Bot: Ryze, on-hit Kayle, Karthus, Malzahar, Heimer, Soraka, Maokai, Morgana