[Minor Suggestion] Smartcast

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cayten Shift

12-15-2011

Hey guys, next patch can the default value of SmartCastOnKeyRelease be set to 1? I know most people won't notice since they don't smartcast, but it makes things SO much more convenient and it is really annoying having to change it back after each patch. I'd appreciate it.

For those of you who don't know what that variable does, it brings up the range indicator as long as you're holding your cast button; the spell casts immediately on releasing the key. It ALSO allows you to cancel your smartcast (in case you accidentally hit R instead of E and don't want to waste it) by right-clicking while the button's still held.

I love smartcast--it makes everything so much more efficient while playing--and having this variable set is a godsend. I don't know anyone who's heard of it and would rather have it set to 0. Anyway, thanks for listening!

boourns

UI Designer

12-15-2011
1 of 11 Riot Posts

We want to make this an option in the menus. We're not going to change it as the default I think because it changes the feel of smartcasting.

Brackstone

12-15-2011

I did not know about this variable going to try it when I get home for sure!

The mouse never seems to line up right for smart casting. So for most small skillshots I still have to non-smartcast them which makes me a sad panda

Cayten Shift

12-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
We want to make this an option in the menus. We're not going to change it as the default I think because it changes the feel of smartcasting.
I don't know that it changes the feel for people who don't use the option--those people press and release the key instantly and the spell casts instantly. But hey, I'm all for a menu option as well. Thanks for the quick response!

boourns

UI Designer

12-15-2011
2 of 11 Riot Posts

Well, currently smartcast actually casts on key press. To be able to benefit from the range display we make the ability case on key release which can make it feel less responsive to some people so we decided to make it an option to turn it on. I might consider making it default on though...

This was actually done as part of a recent champion's kit and I had the engineer make it generally available for all smart casting. We've got the options menu change bundled up with the color blind mode checkbox so it'll become more accessible when that ships. Until then enjoy the hidden config option!

Cayten Shift

12-15-2011

All right! Boourns is the man! I officially love the UI team. ^_^

ChaosBloodterfly

12-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayten Shift View Post
I don't know that it changes the feel for people who don't use the option--those people press and release the key instantly and the spell casts instantly. But hey, I'm all for a menu option as well. Thanks for the quick response!
People don't release keys instantly. There will be a small delay which people would notice.

Satanplus

12-16-2011

Boourns. Best of names.

Eastmanistan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2011

your my hero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2011

are they saying burns or boourns...yep definately boourns...boourns is the man!

12345 ... 6