@Morello, Where are the real morde buffs?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mokato

12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Just because we didn't do the exact change suggested, I don't think that means "buffs didn't do anything."

This is a decent buff to his laning, and it was never our intention to revive old Mordekaiser. We reverted one of the nerfs, and then went to a mid point on the shield. The damage on E is not insignificant here, especially for his own harass.

Does this make Morde perfect? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not convinced he needs more after one day of looking at it, and while that could be the case, this seems to be an expectations issue informing this thread.
Lol because his problems are not his HUGE health costs on his abilities that makes him worthless in the LANING phase, what are you remaking him then?

Morello

Lead Designer

12-14-2011
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Br0heimer View Post
He's still too squishy.

I also remember you saying that you'll take a look at his health costs. Because as it is now, he still slowly kills himself.#

Is that not an issue you're looking at anymore?
We didn't want to do it this patch since it does give him some more attrition, but with the shield like this, I'm still open to this idea. I think the scaling-per-rank is the most suspect thing here (costing more health when you rank is the strange bit).

Gentleman Oz

12-14-2011

How to recieve downvotes:

Go in a thread that calls out Morello about champion X's buffs/nerfs and say that you think the current state of the champion is fine

Example: Mordekaiser is fine, he was great before and the buffs just made him stronger. Just build him a bit tanky and with AP that he scales great

Morello

Lead Designer

12-14-2011
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokato View Post
Lol because his problems are not his HUGE health costs on his abilities that makes him worthless in the LANING phase, what are you remaking him then?
When Morde was extremely strong, he had these health costs. There's no evidence to point that out as a single point of failure that prevents the character from being successful (in fact, what I just said is counter to that) but more how the costs play vs the other things he has.

[Back to work for me!]

Rikukun

12-14-2011

I played as morde in one game last night, and he actually seemed to be pretty decent again. not as good as he was before, but definitely strong again.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2011

Quote:
Just because we didn't do the exact change suggested, I don't think that means "buffs didn't do anything."

This is a decent buff to his laning, and it was never our intention to revive old Mordekaiser. We reverted one of the nerfs, and then went to a mid point on the shield. The damage on E is not insignificant here, especially for his own harass.

Does this make Morde perfect? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not convinced he needs more after one day of looking at it, and while that could be the case, this seems to be an expectations issue informing this thread.
Errrrr...how so?

Old Morde when he uses E on a 5 wave minion wave:

65*5 = 325 damage*0.25 = 81.25 shield generated (not counting the per unit hit which scales from 1 to 5).

New, post buff Morde: 70*5 = 350 damage*0.5 = 175 shield*0.35 = 61.25

Now, let's compare the pre-buff Morde (of last patch), to this buff of Morde:

65*5 = 325 damage*0.5 = 162.5 shield*0.3= 48.75

So, overall, we're getting 2.5 extra shield per unit hit against minions....exactly what nerf did you "revert"?

And, for that matter, if you wanted to "revert" the nerfs...why not just give us Old Morde back and remove either the 1-5 scaling per unit hit on his E OR re-apply the 50% reduced shield against minions+30% shield generation at all levels.

Could you talk me through which nerf you reverted....because...I'm really missing it here (probably something super obvious).

Also, Morello, why not just make Morde costless? It seems, in general, you're slowly getting rid of health->damage champs, anyway.

WarOfShadows

12-14-2011

He's fine if you build him only one way, tanky with lots of health....But Riot already stated that he's not a tank. I find the numbers on him right now push you away from trying different builds. I used to enjoy steam rolling with him as ap, but that's completely impossible now unless you get super fed early game. Also i read that early game spellvamp is negligible to the health taken out by his skills. So theirs another build direction that only works if your fed early game. I think there's a lot of work that can still be done with him, mostly with his shield generation and his health consumption.

shykanga

12-14-2011

Played him last night still to easy to zone him out of lane, and thus the game. Imo. I'm still relatively new so I defer to more wiser men them I in this debate, but is good to know he is still on the radar. Not just a ' well fixed (rubs hands) what's next?' Kind of thing.

Gentleman Oz

12-14-2011

Geez guys forget olde Morde for once and try embracing the new one! He got from "clearly OP" to "sleeper OP" just give him time and play smarter that you will see the effects of the new buffs

Also stop going for the tankyest member of the team, go for the carries! ALWAYS focus the enemy carry, grab his ghost and throw all his AD and DPS against the other team... and while at it, don't chase SInged.

mokato

12-14-2011

Quote:
When Morde was extremely strong, he had these health costs. There's no evidence to point that out as a single point of failure that prevents the character from being successful (in fact, what I just said is counter to that) but more how the costs play vs the other things he has.

[Back to work for me!]
Yes so you nerfed his damage and halved his shield generation but kept his extreme health costs, the reason he stopped getting played was he could no longer lane with and keep is health+shield up to prevent him from committing suicide

Now that you fixed his shield generation all he needs now is some tweaking on his health costs so he is not completely gimped when lanning and your golden

I would go as far to say tweaking his health costs will make him as closed to balanced as he can ever be.