Riot, I am begging you

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

talto

12-13-2011

I have two ideas to make ELO hell easier to get out of:

1) Decrease the amount of rank taken away for a dodge in a ranked queue

Listen, I understand that the ranked queue can't be a dodgefest, but come on. The only tool I even have to fight back against ELO hell is dodging. Time and time again I can tell who is going to win the game in champ select, and it's not cause I have a gut feeling, it's cause one team has 3 ranged ad, or one team has Eve and Twitch etc. I'm not dodging to be rude, I'm dodging because I've played enough games that I know what I am about to have to endure isn't worth it (except it is because so much rank is taken away for dodging). There's also the issue of the several times my client has crashed during a ranked queue. That's always nice.

2) Do not let people play ranked games as soon as they hit level 30

When people hit level 30, they are good with a few champs. And that's it. They don't know about team composition, (outside of maybe WE NEED A TANK LOL) they don't know what a ward is, they don't know how to counter pick, they don't know how to control dragon, their map awareness is still developing etc. Yes, sometimes the player is one that has played MOBAs in the past and has a lot of these skills already, but it really seems that most of the people that play this game are new to the genre. Contrary to what a HON or DOTA player would tell you, this game is not simple. It is not shallow. It actually takes quite a bit of time and experience to be a useful asset to your team. When people hit level 30 they don't even have enough champs unlocked to pick a team correctly. Time and time again I'll get either a team that makes no sense at all, or someone picking a free week champ that is playing them for the first time because we tried fill them in on what their role is. I should NOT have to explain these basic things to people that are playing ranked games. I'll go 15/2 and still lose. I'll buy as many wards as I possibly can (regardless of what my role is) and I'll still lose. At the ELO I'm at, it has nothing to do with which team plays better. Most of the games only last about 20 minutes and are a steam roll either way. I seriously get a dc on my team about one out of every 4 games, just because people don't care. They are new to the game and don't realize how much of a bummer it is. It just comes down to which team has the most clueless person on their team, and that's it. It's not fun. I don't know how many normal wins should be required to play ranked, but 400 seems like a decent number.

Yes, I could see this holding back certain players that make "smurf" accounts, but seriously I think that is not as big of an issue. Also, I know that the reason we have the rating system is to keep these bad players at the bottom, but seriously, I am being punished here too. I buy wards, I never feed, I almost always go positive (many times I'll go legendary if I can solo mid because the players are so inexperienced), I fill the roles that are needed, I call mias for other lanes because they won't, and yet I'm still stuck sinking day after day. So are so many other players.

Schmapoles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2011

...my god I agree with #1.

...We are trapped in elo.

hoodlom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2011

I highly agree with both of these points, how I've had so many people say "I don't own/play that champ..."

Selcopa

12-13-2011

Quote:
The only tool I even have to fight back against ELO hell is dodging
This is why you are in ELO hell.

Add tools(IE get better) and you will be out.

talto

12-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
This is why you are in ELO hell.

Add tools(IE get better) and you will be out.
Thanks for reading my post, dude. Especially the part where I informed everyone that I frequently go legendary and still lose. What else am I supposed to do? I buy wards, I fill roles, I call mias, I cs well, always have my eye on the minimap, and I NEVER feed. It has nothing to do with skill set, it's a russian roulette of inexperience every game. Even the top rated players still lose every now and then because someone on their team feeds/makes a bad play. I would like you to watch a match where I go 17/2 and still lose and then proceed to tell me how the loss was my fault.

I like how your suggestion is to add tools, and instead of saying something specific you just say to "get better". Don't worry, you'll be down here soon, man. I'm really looking forward to your advice for winning all the 4v5's I have to play, or what to do when your client crashes during champ select. Obviously in those situations I am losing rank because I need to "get better".

InfernoX2222

12-13-2011

I agree OP, there is something wrong when you have to deal with people who instalock without talking, ban stupid picks or people others say they want to be, people who never talk at all.

ELO Hell sucks.

Selcopa

12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by talto View Post
Thanks for reading my post, dude. Especially the part where I informed everyone that I frequently go legendary and still lose. What else am I supposed to do? I buy wards, I fill roles, I call mias, I cs well, always have my eye on the minimap, and I NEVER feed. It has nothing to do with skill set, it's a russian roulette of inexperience every game. Even the top rated players still lose every now and then because someone on their team feeds/makes a bad play. I would like you to watch a match where I go 17/2 and still lose and then proceed to tell me how the loss was my fault.

I like how your suggestion is to add tools, and instead of saying something specific you just say to "get better". Don't worry, you'll be down here soon, man. I'm really looking forward to your advice for winning all the 4v5's I have to play, or what to do when your client crashes during champ select. Obviously in those situations I am losing rank because I need to "get better".
What you are trying to tell me, is the ReginaId, Doublelift, or any 2k ELO player would lose EXACTLY the same amount of games as you did in whatever sample size you are looking at.

Not every game is winnable, sometimes it happens, you just gotta brush it aside and move to the next one.

If you are consistently going Legendary and losing, you are making bad plays late game and they are costing you the match, it's just a fact, don't think that you are so special that you are an 1800 player stuck in that 900's or wherever you are.

I've been low, ive first picked an AP carry only to have 3 more people pick AP carries, no jungler, and we won the game. I've lost 5v4's, won 4v5's.

As to increasing your tools and getting better, I don't know what you specifically need to do to improve, Do you play Orianna? Anivia? Gragas? can you support Gangplank? Do you know when to support gangplank? Do you know when to solo top Nidalee?

Not only do you need to play a champ and dominate your lane, you need to be able to play a champ that fits your comp and dominates your lane, im not talking AP carry AD carry ect ect, You need to be thinking, can someone defend the team. Great you won the lane hard, but now you transitioned to teamfights nothing stops them from killing your team but you never die. Maybe you should be peeling for your team more.

There are tons of things to improve, Trying to blame the system for why you are stuck there, is a guaranteed way not to get better.

Omicron Austin

12-14-2011

I'm a level 26, and while I'd like to be able to play ranked, I kind of agree with you. Mostly about the fact that most new level 30s won't even have enough champs to have the ability to properly pick what's required for the team. I think I have less than 10 owned, so it's around 20 that I have counting free week champs (who, of course, I wouldn't play because I have no idea how).

talto

12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
What you are trying to tell me, is the ReginaId, Doublelift, or any 2k ELO player would lose EXACTLY the same amount of games as you did in whatever sample size you are looking at.

Not every game is winnable, sometimes it happens, you just gotta brush it aside and move to the next one.

If you are consistently going Legendary and losing, you are making bad plays late game and they are costing you the match, it's just a fact, don't think that you are so special that you are an 1800 player stuck in that 900's or wherever you are.

I've been low, ive first picked an AP carry only to have 3 more people pick AP carries, no jungler, and we won the game. I've lost 5v4's, won 4v5's.

As to increasing your tools and getting better, I don't know what you specifically need to do to improve, Do you play Orianna? Anivia? Gragas? can you support Gangplank? Do you know when to support gangplank? Do you know when to solo top Nidalee?

Not only do you need to play a champ and dominate your lane, you need to be able to play a champ that fits your comp and dominates your lane, im not talking AP carry AD carry ect ect, You need to be thinking, can someone defend the team. Great you won the lane hard, but now you transitioned to teamfights nothing stops them from killing your team but you never die. Maybe you should be peeling for your team more.

There are tons of things to improve, Trying to blame the system for why you are stuck there, is a guaranteed way not to get better.
So when I go legendary, and my team decides to baron at a really stupid time late game, and I'm SCREAMING at them that it's a bad idea, and they all die, that's my fault?

Also, I never said I was a top rated player. Never said that once. I did enjoy your example though: "If the best players in the world can do it, so can you!" Is that how it is? Or should average players be able to get themselves out of ELO hell?

I know I have room for improvement, but you're just completely missing out on the whole point of my post. I am losing rank needlessly, and so are tons of other people. How would reducing the rank lost for a dodge be a bad thing? How would requiring 400 normals wins before you can play ranked be bad? How about you answer that instead of just saying "get better". Everyone knows they need to get better.

talto

12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron Austin View Post
I'm a level 26, and while I'd like to be able to play ranked, I kind of agree with you. Mostly about the fact that most new level 30s won't even have enough champs to have the ability to properly pick what's required for the team. I think I have less than 10 owned, so it's around 20 that I have counting free week champs (who, of course, I wouldn't play because I have no idea how).
This community is full of frustrated jerks like myself. But part of that is because people aren't considerate like you are. Normal game? Sure. Triple jungle. Double mid. All stealth team. I don't care. That's basically what normal games are for: practicing champs and messing around. There's even a draft mode now which makes things way more fun.

What ends up happening that makes people so bitter is they will play this game for a year or two and then get matched up with people that started playing a month ago. They actually go to the effort of learning to do all the things mentioned in this thread, and it means nothing because it's a 4v5. There's been times when I've had 3 disconnects in a row. All ranked games. And yes, I realize there is a chance these people will get banned, but my whole point is that if you made them wait longer before they could play ranked their account would have already been banned because they would have done all their disconnecting in normals (still a bummer, but at least it doesn't affect ELO). Most of these accounts are so new (just hit lvl 30) that people can disconnect several times with no problems whatsoever.