A newbie's guide to everything Dominion

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nekrogen

12-01-2011

I added into the reaction section some pointers about dying pointlessly and how it will negatively affect the team overall. Thanks for the discussion ActionButlerGO and PrimalHatred. I have to say though that it is entirely dependent on the situation and sometimes you will be fed enough to take on 2 people under a neutralized point (or have another person with you, on their way, etc.).

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekrogen View Post
I added into the reaction section some pointers about dying pointlessly and how it will negatively affect the team overall. Thanks for the discussion ActionButlerGO and PrimalHatred. I have to say though that it is entirely dependent on the situation and sometimes you will be fed enough to take on 2 people under a neutralized point (or have another person with you, on their way, etc.).
Very, very true.

I'm not saying that retreating is always the best case scenario (or, rather, I didn't mean to), just that it is often the best option if you are at low health and clearly cannot 1v2 under a neutral point.

UglyPete

12-01-2011

You should try to make your guide shorter and cleaner. The title is a newbie's guide. Stick to numbers, and simple explanations. Your guide should support the standard 4 top 1 bot meta as it's easy to explain. It should also start with the basic game info explaining the point system, nexus health and what affects it, turret capping with a quick reference to promote/garrison, speed shrines, the storm buff, health pickups, and minion interaction.

Get rid of the mixing it up part as it confuses new players.

Roles and composition should be less in depth leaving out the roamer bit as that will lead people away from the standard meta making new players even more confused. This may create situations where people think 2 bot with 2 top and one person roaming away form the team is the way dominion should be played.

The first paragraph in bans should be removed as it doesn't really add anything for new players. In it's place you should insert a picks section with some of the common picks that aren't usually banned.

Under how to react the entire paragraph should be shelved for some MS paint pics with short captions for each displaying easy to understand common situations.

The bottom lane section isn't too bad, but you add a lot of flavor and if the person reading doesn't like your writing style they will skip through missing important info.

The top lane section should be removed as reacting should cover the subject.

The end game section should be removed because it doesn't add anything and even states the reader is on their own.

Under additional reading you should have links to more advanced strats like roaming and 3 top 2 bot meta.

It's the start of a decent guide but there is a lot of fluff and extra bits that take away from it's purpose of helping new players. I think it has the potential to really help people ease into dominion.

Nekrogen

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyPete View Post
You should try to make your guide shorter and cleaner. The title is a newbie's guide. Stick to numbers, and simple explanations. Your guide should support the standard 4 top 1 bot meta as it's easy to explain. It should also start with the basic game info explaining the point system, nexus health and what affects it, turret capping with a quick reference to promote/garrison, speed shrines, the storm buff, health pickups, and minion interaction.

Get rid of the mixing it up part as it confuses new players.
The guide does mostly assume a 4 top 1 bot strategy, but it just isn't fair to say it's the only way to go about Dominion. Dominion isn't meant to be linear, otherwise it wouldn't be fun. Explaining the bare basics of Dominion is done better elsewhere, so the point of re-writing it in here is lost to me. I'd rather help newbies settle into the game so that they are on level with the other players in their game. After all, most of the information in here is in fact well known to many many players who have played at least 10-20 games of Dominion already.
Quote:
Roles and composition should be less in depth leaving out the roamer bit as that will lead people away from the standard meta making new players even more confused. This may create situations where people think 2 bot with 2 top and one person roaming away form the team is the way dominion should be played.
There is no one way to play Dominion, and I would be lying if I said there was, even for simplicity's sake.
Quote:
The first paragraph in bans should be removed as it doesn't really add anything for new players. In it's place you should insert a picks section with some of the common picks that aren't usually banned.
Every pick is viable assuming you are decently versed with that champion, I cannot dictate who newbies should and should not pick because that is not what this guide is designed for. The bans section is there for the people who are concerned about the balance of Dominion (many of the people who come into Dominion now will have heard this), even though I personally don't see an issue with a vast majority of the champions that are commonly banned.
Quote:
Under how to react the entire paragraph should be shelved for some MS paint pics with short captions for each displaying easy to understand common situations.
I'll see what I can do haha. Maybe if you could list ALL of the "common" situations that you can get into, I'll have an easier time knowing when to take screenshots XD.
Quote:
The bottom lane section isn't too bad, but you add a lot of flavor and if the person reading doesn't like your writing style they will skip through missing important info.
If they don't like my writing style then how did they get to the bottom lane section o.O
Quote:
The top lane section should be removed as reacting should cover the subject.
Bottom and top lane need to react though, it isn't exclusively top lane's priority to react. If top messed up or your team notices that there is a better matchup bottom or what have you, bottom will need to react and do something about it. Like I said, I'm no expert when it comes to top lane mechanics, but it still needs to be mentioned as far as I'm concerned.
Quote:
The end game section should be removed because it doesn't add anything and even states the reader is on their own.
If I could give an accurate depiction of every end game situation I would, but I can't. This section exists because it honestly is the most challenging point in the game, and readers need to know it takes experience to know how to deal with whatever your opponent throws at you. It may be fluff, but it's my fluff and it's staying :P I wasn't hired to make this guide, I WANTED to make this guide (it was originally in response to another thread believe it or not).
Quote:
Under additional reading you should have links to more advanced strats like roaming and 3 top 2 bot meta.
Provide the links and I'll read over them to see if they are reference worthy .
Quote:
It's the start of a decent guide but there is a lot of fluff and extra bits that take away from it's purpose of helping new players. I think it has the potential to really help people ease into dominion.
As you may or may not know, there are a lot of threads in the General Discussion that put Dominion into a bad light. This guide was not only designed to help new players ease into Dominion, but also to convince them that this game mode is, in fact, fun and very playable.

Thanks for the feedback!

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

12-01-2011
2 of 6 Riot Posts

i don't know if it's something you'd want to discuss in your guide, but something i've noticed is that newer players tend to disregard the value of fog of war on crystal scar.

i guess the topic can get messy since there are a lot of really specific examples of what's beneficial and what's not, but overall i think it's something new players aren't even thinking about.

(fog of war image attached just in case.)

The LORD saves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-01-2011

Ugly Pete did offer some really good points, though not in a very diplomatic fashion. If you're talking to newbs, it would be good to tell them directly how not to lose the game. Wandering as a newb will lose your team the game etc...

UglyPete

12-01-2011

I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything just trying to help you streamline your guide a bit so that new players get the info they need in an easier to reference format to start playing Dominion at a basic level.

Someone posted a thread about the 2 FOW hallways leading from the nexus to the jungle. I can't remember who posted it and I don't want to take credit for this, but I did what they did and highlighted the hallways on the map ricklessabandon left in the thread. You don't have to use it or anything just trying to show an example of an easy pic that could really help new players.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/UglyPete/cs_map.jpg

For new players it would be helpful for them to know that some times it is better to take those routes into the jungle so they won't be seen on the map. I bet there are a lot of people old and new that don't realize those hallways even exist.

Like I said before I think the guide has a lot of potential to really help new players.

mufins

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
i don't know if it's something you'd want to discuss in your guide, but something i've noticed is that newer players tend to disregard the value of fog of war on crystal scar.

i guess the topic can get messy since there are a lot of really specific examples of what's beneficial and what's not, but overall i think it's something new players aren't even thinking about.

i could write a book about dominion fog of war, but i'll let someone else tackle that lol.

Nekrogen

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaire View Post
Ugly Pete did offer some really good points, though not in a very diplomatic fashion. If you're talking to newbs, it would be good to tell them directly how not to lose the game. Wandering as a newb will lose your team the game etc...
Yeah he did, I tried to address them as best as I could.

Not doing anything productive is going to lose your team the game, but that's a pretty large generalization. Backdooring could very well be useful under the right circumstances, and useless under others. Going in circles around the jungle is for the most part useless, but useful if you are both low HP and being chased by at least 1 enemy (being chased by 2 enemies is actually extremely beneficial to your team, but this should never happen). backcapping when all 5 of the enemies are elsewhere and nowhere close to respawning is very useful, but useless if they are close by to prevent you from even neutralizing it. All of the actions you can do in Dominion can, under the right circumstances, be used to win the game. 4v5s are virtually unwinnable if you are down a man all game just simply because the extra man on the team goes a really long way in countering the enemies' movement and progress, and this concept extends to people being dead all of the time, running around the jungle doing nothing, backcapping when there are enemies respawning, etc.

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning in the guide however, because it should be pretty much covered in the reaction section.

Nekrogen

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post

I'll see what I can do . I certainly know a thing or 2 about the advantages of certain FoW points in the map, so I'll work on this now.

And yeah, this is a pretty large topic but also very relevant; I'll cover what I can and what I think is important.

12345678 ... 14