[discussion] how do you use garrison?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

11-30-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

just wanted to get discussion going on the summoner spell garrison out of personal curiosity.

my own feelings are that using it defensively can be a game changer, whereas using it offensively can often a complete waste of a spell. my feelings on the offensive uses stem from the ability to neuter a tower by channeling (or juggling the channel) when you have 2 or more players diving, and it's often too risky to dive solo even with the use of garrison.

what does everyone else think?
how often do you take garrison, and how do you use it?

Sauron

11-30-2011

I don't use it at all.

I use exhaust and ignite/promote instead, as those pretty much cover all the cases you would use Garrison for, and more.

Edit: But if I were to use it, I wouldn't take it bot lane.

Pig Magus

11-30-2011

I use it if I know I can get the kill by tower diving solo but just in case I need the tower to hit me with a pillow instead of lazers.

For Bot I like Promote better. Promote pushes a lot better than people (in my low Elo bracket) thinks it does.

Lameador

11-30-2011

I feel is a lot stronger on defense than offense. It's too situational spell though and I dont like it much as much of the relevant fights don't happen in points, and when good players assault a point they do with such advantage that Garrison isn't that relevant. Its very hard to use the full cooldown of garrison without being useless, the same cant be said of less situational and still powerful spells like ignite and exhaust

I can see it being partially usefull in a very organized weird strat. But Overall I prefer spells that are more consistent and give me and edge in the most important jungle fights.

I would like it to be a good counter to promote push on the first minutes on the game. yes I hate promote and I think it's bad for the game. But my experience shows that Promote overcome Garrison.

Despite it's weakness on the offensive, I think it's for the better for the health of the game. If garrison would be great to take guarded points in frontal attacks, I think a lot of what's amazing of dominion, would be lost.

Jpeg

11-30-2011

I think this is a good synopsis. mastery for garrison is SO strong. while using it offensively is strickley worse than taking a few hits then having 1 person channel the turret so it stops shooting.

I normally take garrison as the tank when i go top. i do use it offensively. but i normally queue with a team that i've tanked for 2 years. so when i go... we go. ya know? eitherway, i think it takes a lot of teamwork for it to be beneficial. it could use a offensive usage buff

FDru

11-30-2011

I has two primary uses IMO:

1. Tower diving. It's extremely good for this and should be saved for it when possible. The tower is completely neutered when garrisoned. You want to dive, wait until the tower attacks you once then pop it and enjoy the next 8 seconds.

2. Delaying a cap when you're trying to defend outnumbered. I believe the most important aspect is the free interrupt on it, which can break the channel on everyone attacking the turret. It also slows down the capture speed from the minions and champs attacking.

Sadly, the "damage" is not increased much at all by garrison on a friendly turret so it's not very useful for that.

Harvester

11-30-2011

I wish that if you used it offensively, then it would not be completely shut down when someone channels on it. I think that it should still keep shooting while under your control, even if 1 person is channeling to make it neutral, as an additional benefit to using garrison offensively.

Phourc

11-30-2011

Defensively assumes you don't get chain-CC'ed into being unable to stop a channel, offensive use assumes someone dives with you and/or you don't get kited around the turret until Garrison wears off.

I've had both work really well and really terribly for me, I would say that defensive is maybe a little better, since the splash is guaranteed to at least clear waves well, but often times observant foes will notice the whole thing flash and just wait for it to wear off xP

Hugo Mann

11-30-2011

I take it on certain champs. Rammus and Singed for example. I almost exclusively use it for defense. In the previously mentioned cases I use it as extra damage output while defending a point or to break channels while defending said point. Very, very, occasionally I'll use it if a teammate grabs turret aggro by accident while diving a point.

Argodis

11-30-2011

I use it when I'm against a team I think is going to backdoor a lot.

Your intermediate point sort of takes a while to get to if you're already defending at Windmill so Garrison ensures if the enemy keeps hitting that point, it should not be neutralized.

I find that using Garrison in the middle of a fight whether defensively or offensively has little to no effect on the outcome.