Champion Design Direction: Goals of new champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-30-2011
34 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diadave View Post
going to try anything like Karma again? lots of ideas going on with her that haven't really been used again.

While she doesn't really work at the moment, the risk/reward mech of her ultimate is a really fun thing to use and encourages thinking about your game play.

Interested if you have any more things similar to that in play at the moment?
I want to fix Karma. LeBlanc and Karma are two that we had problems with and didn't know how to do those designs correctly. We're going to go fix some of those older champs (live team's new big goals is cleaning up underused champions, or sub-par kits). They'll be the same core idea, but with stronger direction.

Kitchoua Tembo

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanybugs View Post
Morello I have a question Are you guys going to try and avoid more of your failed experiment heroes such as leona urgot and karma and if so how did those heroes make it to live release and not get cut.
Don't you DARE talk trash about my precious Urgot.

GAAH

Verbesity

11-30-2011

Have you thought about making any champions with skills that have both minimum and maximum range? Like hits everything between 200 and 350 range from the champion or somesuch. Or even skills with a minimum range so you can't cast them on enemies directly on top of you? Seems like a clear weakness there that they get shut down easily by melee champions who stick to you but they'd have strong team fight presence.

WarmTurtle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2011

I'm not entirely sure what direction this thread has taken on as I dunno if I can really be bothered going through it all.

HOWEVER!

I just wanted to say I adore champions who have fluid kits. For example, Renek, Voli, Fizz, Riven.

I guess when I put them together it obviously becomes a list of champions who never have to actually click on anyone.

But just my 2c, I love champs who never have to click to target etc.

Hebacheba

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2011

Morello, you mentioned Xerath's passive getting a rework, and I think Talon's passive needs the same treatment for similar reasons. It's weak, boring, and the Talon player has little control over when it gets utilized. I also hate that it's called Mercy when attacking someone who can't fight back is the exact opposite of mercy. It really irks me that he has such a dumb passive because the rest of his kit makes him stand out to me as one of the most well-designed champions in the game. The juxtaposition absolutely slays me.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-30-2011
35 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbesity View Post
Have you thought about making any champions with skills that have both minimum and maximum range? Like hits everything between 200 and 350 range from the champion or somesuch. Or even skills with a minimum range so you can't cast them on enemies directly on top of you? Seems like a clear weakness there that they get shut down easily by melee champions who stick to you but they'd have strong team fight presence.
Probably not on this (since that's clunky), but the minimum travel time like Maokai's sapling is a way to accomplish making spells take time and giving melee a chance to react.

MrTwiggy

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I want to fix Karma. LeBlanc and Karma are two that we had problems with and didn't know how to do those designs correctly. We're going to go fix some of those older champs (live team's new big goals is cleaning up underused champions, or sub-par kits). They'll be the same core idea, but with stronger direction.
Oh hell yes! I enjoy playing the under-dog champions, but when it puts your team at a disadvantage, it's not very fun.

Totally looking forward to this.

tomanybugs

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchoua Tembo View Post
Don't you DARE talk trash about my precious Urgot.

GAAH
Released urgot was Dark times Broski

MstrSneak

11-30-2011

Another question that I'm not sure you are involved with!

When, if ever, are we going to see the AD/spell vamp item for champs like mantheon/talon?

Waterd

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Something we're passively poking at. No concrete plans.
So the plan is to keep releasing champions non-stop? There wont be a limit? Dont you think thats bad for the game?