Champion Design Direction: Goals of new champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotSid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
That's actually a valid design theory, depending on the game. Things like PvE or co-op games, everything should be OP. Competitive multiplayer - I think it makes the game exhausting over a long term, and you end up with 20 dudes who will put up with it playing it very passionately.
Well, if you make everything absurdly strong (my spell check says absurdly is a word, by the way) then you risk pushing away a lot of players after they get killed super fast, thinking "uhh... what just happened? What did that guy just do?" hyper fast kill times in a game like this is not really that great.

That being said, my main mage is Veigar, the champion with probably the quickest kill times in the game. However, his drawback is his squishiness and lack of usefulness between spellcasts. And there you have champion balance! Yay!

a tiny ant

11-30-2011

Maybe this is the wrong place to suggest this, but could it be possible to allow Pantheon to use his W on minions as well? This would make it easier to juke ganks with him.

Just one thing I thought of, which would make the champion, maybe more efficient, skillful perhaps.

Project Voodoo

11-30-2011

Quote:
So why do we have such massive non-pro eSports following?

Our game is much, much easier to watch and see what's happening. This is extremely important to eSports and general playability.

(Counter Strike is very, very clean and easy to understand, but deep).
Much more people due to free-to-play = proportionally much more viewers.

serverny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2011

Quote:
So why do we have more players, and more of those players that understand eSports?
(You'll get there severny, I believe in you!)
God, first you basically state that A LOT of LOL viewers are people who don't play at all, but still enjoy watching it because it is actually interesting for them.

I say it is wrong and explain why LOL gets a lot of viewers (it has a lot of players).

I get trolled without any further explanations

Not classy Morello.

P.S. While a have your attention do you have any ideas to make non-Wriggle junglers like Nunu, Fiddle viable past 20 minute mark ? I hope you do have them on list, much like Yi Q interaction with new monster aggro

Zaresin

11-30-2011

If you can Morello...what main playstyle of champs are you looking at currently to alter to fit your idea? Are you gonna be focusing on the champs previously released, or are you gonna be focusing mainly on the not yet released champs? Two questions I know....oh and a plea....

PLEASE MORELLO...HELP FIX VLAD...ME LOVE YOU LONG TIME

Vallant

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not5id View Post
Well, if you make everything absurdly strong (my spell check says absurdly is a word, by the way) then you risk pushing away a lot of players after they get killed super fast, thinking "uhh... what just happened? What did that guy just do?" hyper fast kill times in a game like this is not really that great.

That being said, my main mage is Veigar, the champion with probably the quickest kill times in the game. However, his drawback is his squishiness and lack of usefulness between spellcasts. And there you have champion balance! Yay!
A random idea that I've done on Veigar is giving him a Lich Bane. You can slow your casts down just a bit so your cooldowns, with a little bit of reduction, make a nice rotation of decent sustained damage compaired to insane burst that may or may not finish off a target. Because I have had an issue where a champ got away with around 10 life due to the auto attack not doing enough.

ImARobotBoopBeep

11-30-2011

does this mean there are Nocturne/Irelia/Jarvan reworks incomming or are you just announcing you won't do any more of these?

NotSid

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallant View Post
A random idea that I've done on Veigar is giving him a Lich Bane. You can slow your casts down just a bit so your cooldowns, with a little bit of reduction, make a nice rotation of decent sustained damage compaired to insane burst that may or may not finish off a target. Because I have had an issue where a champ got away with around 10 life due to the auto attack not doing enough.
Oh trust me, I know all about the Lichbane Veigar. You ever see a tower go down in 3 auto attacks?

tomanybugs

11-30-2011

Morello I have a question Are you guys going to try and avoid more of your failed experiment heroes such as leona urgot and karma and if so how did those heroes make it to live release and not get cut.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-30-2011
23 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujuvie View Post
I think there is a better way of making more "difficult" skills to master other than just slapping tons of stuff into 1 skill. Irelia, Jarvan and Noc (the examples you gave) are perfect examples of champs who has skills that do a lot of stuff. Like how Lee Sin can shield an ally, blink, slow, reveal enemies, lifesteal, knock up etc. Volibear does this too and it is getting old too fast. Not to mention how all your recent releases were kinda mediocre. I'm not saying that Talon, Riven, Skarner, Shyvana, Yorick, Volibear and even Fizz arent fun but for me they just don't bring anything different to the game.
I really like Talon - he's clean, fun, and has clear weaknesses. I don't mind less crazy kits, but I like clear disadvantages.