Volibear Patch Preview: Gameplay Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CarnavasNA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-28-2011

Riot: So there's this really neat change to Shunp--
Community: No.
Riot:


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-28-2011
11 of 11 Riot Posts

Following the Patch Preview, there’s been a lot of discussion about the upcoming jungle changes. We wanted to take a few moments to clarify the direction of our jungle changes and give some additional information.

The new jungle has a few major goals:

  • Jungling right now is rather static at the high level, both in jungle routes and optimal ganking times. Because of how valuable the individual monsters are and how slowly they respawn, players typically only gank after the jungle is fully cleared.
    • Decision-making will be more complex in the jungle. Choosing when to gank and when to farm will be a much more difficult endeavor:
    • Players who gank successfully will find themselves growing in power against a jungler who simply sits and farms in the jungle all day.
    • Additionally, leaving to gank before clearing the rest of the jungle will not inhibit your ability to farm as individual camps are less significant.
  • Jungling rewards aren’t smoothed out to be “right” for most of the game, causing junglers to cannibalize their teammates’ lanes to keep up in levels.
    • As the new jungle has gold and experience growth throughout the game, efficient junglers can keep up with gold and experience just by staying inside the jungle and ganking.
    • Fast and efficient jungling and counter-jungling becomes even more important: Squeezing another three seconds out of your jungle pattern will almost immediately pay off with the faster respawns.
    • Counter-junglers will have to be more predictive and clever to directly engage their opponents, but will also find that monsters are available for stealing much more often.
  • With the difficulty of the current jungle, only specialized champions and builds can succeed in the jungle.
    • With low-HP but faster-respawning monsters, more item and rune setups can be used. This opens up options for more junglers:
    • The champions and builds you’ve grown accustomed to will still work perfectly well.
    • New options exist, too: Go full-out offense for faster speed? Start with boots for a fast Lizard buff gank? The choices are yours, and all of them have their own strengths and weaknesses.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ToastdYogurt

Senior Member

11-28-2011

yay for passive farm jungle!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

l4stwolf

Junior Member

11-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federok View Post
Agree with that! but in these case players think that they are more capable than the developers......riot says hey we have work in new changes....lets try if they work....and people are saying like "no, throw all your work and do something.."

you say that riot ignore you (as the palyers) but the palyers are trying to ingnore riots work without trying.....
Dude, its not about that, its a game, if they want change that much the game (they almost changed everything) they can create a new game, or a new mod, or something else, who dont effect who like this game, the way he is right now. New patch with unbalanced champs, the whole new masteries, the whole new jungle and now no dodge. Its huge, and its enough for made my mind and go away from LoL.

And see that Rio Employee, he just did a random answer about the jungle patch note, ITS DUMB.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Federok

Senior Member

11-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4stwolf View Post
Dude, its not about that, its a game, if they want change that much the game (they almost changed everything) they can create a new game, or a new mod, or something else, who dont effect who like this game, the way he is right now. New patch with unbalanced champs, the whole new masteries, the whole new jungle and now no dodge. Its huge, and its enough for made my mind and go away from LoL.

And see that Rio Employee, he just did a random answer about the jungle patch note, ITS DUMB.
NOW you are just to dramatic they arent THAT big


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harvester

Senior Member

11-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4stwolf View Post
Dude, its not about that, its a game, if they want change that much the game (they almost changed everything) they can create a new game, or a new mod, or something else, who dont effect who like this game, the way he is right now. New patch with unbalanced champs, the whole new masteries, the whole new jungle and now no dodge. Its huge, and its enough for made my mind and go away from LoL.

And see that Rio Employee, he just did a random answer about the jungle patch note, ITS DUMB.
The game shouldn't stay the same because that limits how the game can change in the future. Creating new possibilities for gameplay with the new jungle will affect future development as well. If players actually end up preferring it to the old jungle, then it will probably attract new players who will be able to experience good parts of the game at earlier levels. If it turns out bad, then Riot will learn from its mistakes, so oh well. Try it before you claim that your hate for it is justified. They're still probably going to work on tweaking the jungle for the next patch or two, so give it a chance!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Herico

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Following the Patch Preview, there’s been a lot of discussion about the upcoming jungle changes. We wanted to take a few moments to clarify the direction of our jungle changes and give some additional information.

The new jungle has a few major goals:
  • Jungling right now is rather static at the high level, both in jungle routes and optimal ganking times. Because of how valuable the individual monsters are and how slowly they respawn, players typically only gank after the jungle is fully cleared.
    • Decision-making will be more complex in the jungle. Choosing when to gank and when to farm will be a much more difficult endeavor:
    • Players who gank successfully will find themselves growing in power against a jungler who simply sits and farms in the jungle all day.
    • Additionally, leaving to gank before clearing the rest of the jungle will not inhibit your ability to farm as individual camps are less significant.
  • Jungling rewards aren’t smoothed out to be “right” for most of the game, causing junglers to cannibalize their teammates’ lanes to keep up in levels.
    • As the new jungle has gold and experience growth throughout the game, efficient junglers can keep up with gold and experience just by staying inside the jungle and ganking.
    • Fast and efficient jungling and counter-jungling becomes even more important: Squeezing another three seconds out of your jungle pattern will almost immediately pay off with the faster respawns.
    • Counter-junglers will have to be more predictive and clever to directly engage their opponents, but will also find that monsters are available for stealing much more often.
  • With the difficulty of the current jungle, only specialized champions and builds can succeed in the jungle.
    • With low-HP but faster-respawning monsters, more item and rune setups can be used. This opens up options for more junglers:
    • The champions and builds you’ve grown accustomed to will still work perfectly well.
    • New options exist, too: Go full-out offense for faster speed? Start with boots for a fast Lizard buff gank? The choices are yours, and all of them have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Good argument about jungling, you have a big and interesting point of view.

But changing subject i dont see a good argument about minion's change and better give me a big one bc "agressive" is not a good point, in fact, thanks to minions, and having them as my personal shield i made the diference today playing anivia, yeh its half luky and half strategic.

Better think seriously what you are going to touch.
(while you think about a good point for this, i will consult with my pillow about about the bad side of your point of view )


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArmedRaccoon

Junior Member

11-28-2011

Just, please.. please.. tell us you guys are planning a Christmas surprise release and as a gift for us all you'll also make Season 1 an available mode. Come on, you got the code, people will still be playing your game and you'll still be profitting from it, plus then everyone's happy - competitive, strategic players will stick to Season 1 and people who prefer a log in and butcher everything like a 10 year old gameplay will just stick to your Season 2.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

l4stwolf

Junior Member

11-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulharvest View Post
The game shouldn't stay the same because that limits how the game can change in the future. Creating new possibilities for gameplay with the new jungle will affect future development as well. If players actually end up preferring it to the old jungle, then it will probably attract new players who will be able to experience good parts of the game at earlier levels. If it turns out bad, then Riot will learn from its mistakes, so oh well. Try it before you claim that your hate for it is justified. They're still probably going to work on tweaking the jungle for the next patch or two, so give it a chance!
Hey, never said the game must be the same. Yeah, i agree, we need some new ways to play the game, but i like the old way, and want to still playing it. Those changes are for everyone, isnt a upgrade. Its a CHANGE. And its good because RIOT THINK SO. I like when dominon came out. Its great, its a new way to play the game, and we still have the old fashioned way to play it. Can you see the difference?

Improve and balance patchs still welcome too, but if you change the game mechanics its too much. This patch they didnt removed dodge yet. But its a big deal, and its about how you play the game. I play dodge rammus and dodge jax, it will be a big change for me, i dont like it.

And i dont need 2 more patchs to correct what is good right now, i need to play the game, just it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leverette

Member

11-28-2011

Dear Zileas;

With all due respect, there are two things you've said here that I find highly questionable:

1) Tryndamere is meant to pretty much auto-win in melee, but the counter is to kite him.

2) The community now accepts the changes to support now that they're used to it.

Now, I don't claim to know how to play support well, but from what I've seen across the forums, the only thing that the community has come to accept about supports is that they are now dead. And there's a big difference between accepting something willfully and accepting something because you can't do anything about it. Ambiguous terms such as "the community accepts it" should be avoided if you don't intend on clarifying.

I also don't claim to know much about kiting, namely because I play champions with no CC, but I respectfully disagree with you if you're saying that Tryndamere's melee lethality is balanced because he can be kited. You're not saying that Tryndamere is easy to kite, you're just saying that he'll be much more likely than other champions to ace you if you fail to do so.

In fact, with a skill set like his, I'd say he's only slightly easier to keep away from than Akali, and we all know she's the clingy type, if you catch my drift.

Seriously, with a semi-spammable AoE super-slow that makes enemy AA do nothing to him, a semi-spammable gap closer with no limitations as to when and where he can use it, and an ultimate that gives him extra time to kill you no matter how many times you smack him in the face with a yacht, one has to wonder how all but the greatest of kiters are expected to keep this giant angry sword with legs at bay.