TEH - Total Effective Health, or; a guide on how to build a tank properly.

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asgrim

11-27-2011

Tanking

SO! You want to play a tank and not suck at it? Well, being a good tank is not that hard. Being beefy and running in is easy! Being a GREAT tank takes more then that, and knowledge of TEH, or Total Effective Health. Now, there are plenty of metagaming aspects to tanking in League of Legends, from zoning out enemy DPS in your lane to deny them XP and CS, to allowing your carries to farm as much as possible, and effectively, and much more. These are all aspects that require practice practice practice, and a little common sense.

However, there's a simple concept that will greatly increase your ability to tank effectively, and it's something all the best players already consider when playing, and that's TEH. If any of you reading this have ever been a tank in a major MMO, have ever played EvE Online or any game that uses in-depth statistics, TEH is not something new to you - even if you've only heard it under a different name.

The general concept of TEH is the actual amount of damage you can tank, after factoring in resistances and anything else that effects how much damage you can take. For example, say we have a tank; let's make it a Cho'Gath, with 2.4k health and 200 armor (70% reduction, let's say) and the same Cho with 3.7k health and 100 armor (50% reduction). The opponents are AD carries, though this same example works for magic resist against AP carries. Which Cho has more TEH? Or, I should say, which Cho is better?

Well, it's a simple matter of math! The Cho with 2.4k health and 200 armor can take 8000 points of damage before dying. Meanwhile, the Cho with 3.7k health can only take 7400 points of damage before biting the dust.

What does this mean? Well, it means that while Total Effective Health is not an in-game stat (and I don't know why...) it is the MOST important factor for a tank looking to take care of himself and be effective at soaking up damage. This does NOT mean to stack armor, that example was just that; an example. So if you want to know how to use this effectively, read on!
TEH And You!

So; resistances, health, TEH, how do we handle all this?

The simplest answer is that you need to mix resistances with tons of health to counter everyone, but that's just a matter of DUH! so let me get more specific. There should be a proper order to how you progress in order to maximize your build, and it's not difficult to figure that out.

Early Game

The first thing you need to consider here is damage ratios. At game start, a hit from a carry will usually do around 10% of your health or a little less (assuming starting HP 600-700 and enemy damage 60-70) before resistances. End game, they'll be doing 15-20% a hit before resistances, which means two things:
1. Getting more health early game leads to more TEH at that time.
2. Getting more resistances late game leads to more TEH at that time.

For example: a level one Malphite with a chain vest and a cloth shirt has 800 TEH. A level one Malphite with a Giants Belt has 1200 TEH!

Remember, this is early game. Damage ratios are low, and grabbing a little resistance isn't going to do much for you, as your only taking maybe 7% of your health each hit after resistances. You need health!
Early Game: Get Health!

Mid Game

This is where we separate the good tanks and the great tanks. You could start getting some resist, or you could continue stacking some health. But which?

This is where you need to judge your opponents. Is there a carry whose damage ratio is climbing alarmingly, or a problem champ on the opposing team? Get some resistances to counter them. Is someone building a penetration item? (Abyssal, Void Staff, Black Cleaver, etc.) Well, your resistances are going to be shredded, you need more health!

At this time, the item you choose to build is up to your judgement, and can ultimately be the deciding factor how well you can initiate and tank properly. Pay close attention to the enemy team, so you can see which direction you need to build in.
Mid Game: Players Call

Late Game

Well, we've been over this already. Remember the first example? Late Game is all about the resistances. Damage ratio's have spiked, and the only thing that will bring that back down to normal (because you can't out health them) is resistances.

Identify the best player on the other team, and build resistances to specifically counter that person. There's no reason anyone should be doing more then 15% of your health a hit, at MOST, at this point in the game.

The only exception here is again, if their carry has purchased penetration. Because no one likes to be penetrated.
Late Game: Resistances

Conclusion

Health is more effective early game, resistances are more effective late game. Even regarding these mathematical facts, it's important to properly identify the carries on the opposing team, and build in order to shut them down.

Though I don't know if anyone has ever seen this mathematically presented as such for LoL (though the leaguecraft champion builder displays this), TEH is important for tanks. Randomly building the wrong item can spell your death, and the loss of a game, so keep this in mind.

I hope this helps!

EDIT:
As requested.

The formula for calculating TEH is as follows:

Health divided by (remaining percentage/100)

Remaining percentage is the remaining percentage after resistances, IE if you have 70% resist, your remaining percentage is 30%.

For example:

2400/(30/100) = 8000
3700/(50/100) = 7400

Or to make it simpler, 2400/.3 = 8000, 3700/.5 = 7400.

Asgrim

11-27-2011

Part 2 - Dynamic Building and Conception

Now, for any experienced player, everything I said above is something you already knew. Or, maybe you've learned everything above, but think it's a little too cookie cutter and stale. So, you need to learn the system - the know-how of exactly when you need health or resistances depending on the situation, and how to tell this.

Well, just following the basics isn't going to make you a platinum rated tank. You have to be able to build dynamically, and conceptualize exactly what is going on in terms of your TEH. The system behind this is quite easy to understand when put into mathematical terms.
How This Works

The first thing you have to understand is that your health, resistances, the damage your taking, all these things are completely IRRELEVANT as numerical values. They do NOT matter.

You have to look at it in percentages. For example, at full health, I'm at 100%. How much damage I take from that when I get hit, in percentage, determines whether or not I need health or resistance.

I like to call 10% my safe zone. Meaning, if I'm losing 10% of my health when I get hit by an enemy champ, I have the option of building either health or resistances to counter them. 10% means they aren't doing too much damage, and I have a moderate amount of health.

Now, if I'm taking 6-7% damage when I get hit, building resistances is pointless for several reasons. For one, it has diminishing returns, if I'm already taking only 6-7% damage, more resistances will NOT help me survive, as their damage is already mitigated that way. Increasing overall health however; does help to mitigate this even more.

If I'm taking 15-20% health, then we have a problem. They are doing some RIDICULOUS damage, and barring an scenario where I don't have a single health item, my resistances must be lacking and are the only thing that's going to help mitigate this damage.

It's important to remember that you can't out-ratio an opposing teams damage by pure health (unless your Cho, there's a build... but that's a story for another time) so you WILL need to get resistances at some point, preferably as soon as their ratio has any kind of spike to it.

The ONLY exception to all this, is penetration. Penetration items on carries practically break the game for us tanks. Were given diminishing returns on armor and magic resist, so stacking resistance to counter pen will not help too much - pen shreds us. You can try stacking more health to keep your TEH up, but they are still going to hurt. Ask your team to focus the person with pen, without them you'll last a lot longer.

Conclusion

A player familiar with this system will know exactly what they need to build next, regardless of the situation, just by taking a quick glance at any single hit you take from an enemy. The first part of this guide works in general as a basic pattern, but it's not very in-depth.

This, however, is. If your keeping track of ratios properly, and building to counter, then you'll be the most effective tank you can be, and they won't be able to stop you.

If only the carries on your team would out damage theirs....

Hope this helps!

DarkenDragon

11-27-2011

great guide, I wish everyone (even non tanks) to read this. great information, and explained well. just like in life you must have a balance in all things.

but as a request, it might be useful to have some of the formulas put up just for those who are interested in learning more. I know you can probably look for them on the wiki page but it'd be nice to have a quick look

Wofford

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgrim View Post

Well, it's a simple matter of math! The Cho with 2.4k health and 200 armor can take 8000 points of damage before dying. Meanwhile, the Cho with 3.7k health can only take 7400 points of damage before biting the dust.
hmmm the way they explain it is 1 armor or magic resisitance means +1% life
so a cho 2.4k + 200 armor would amount to 7.2k

3.7k + 100 armor would amount to 7.4k

so your math is not quite correct

sorry to hijack your thread just wanted to point that out

but other than that i came to the same conclusion as you that health is more important early compare 600health with 100 armor =1200health
to 1000 health and 60 armor = 1600health and its cheaper too cause you need armor and magic resistance while with health it makes u stronger vs both

one more very important point: the more healing you have the less you need health and the more important magic res and armor is would you rather heal 200 health that has 100armor and magic resistance or heal 200 health that has only 50 armor and magic res?
So if you have a high sustain hero like Alister or WW its more efficient to get armor and magic resistance.

Asgrim

11-27-2011

The formula for calculating TEH is as follows:

Health divided by (remaining percentage/100)

Remaining percentage is the remaining percentage after resistances, IE if you have 70% resist, your remaining percentage is 30%.

For example:

2400/(30/100) = 8000
3700/(50/100) = 7400

Or to make it simpler, 2400/.3 = 8000, 3700/.5 = 7400.

Ayestes

11-27-2011

It's also important to slightly value mitigation above raw health, due to various factors such as health regen, healing, life steal, spell vamp, and other forms of regeneration.

Asgrim

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wofford View Post
hmmm the way they explain it is 1 armor or magic resisitance means +1% life
so a cho 2.4k + 200 armor would amount to 7.2k

3.7k + 100 armor would amount to 7.4k

so your math is not quite correct

sorry to hijack your thread just wanted to point that out

but other than that i came to the same conclusion as you that health is more important early compare 600health with 100 armor =1200health
to 1000 health and 60 armor = 1600health and its cheaper too cause you need armor and magic resistance while with health it makes u stronger vs both

one more very important point: the more healing you have the less you need health and the more important magic res and armor is would you rather heal 200 health that has 100armor and magic resistance or heal 200 health that has only 50 armor and magic res?
So if you have a high sustain hero like Alister or WW its more efficient to get armor and magic resistance.
The point of this guide is to teach people how to build tankage correctly, ignoring health regen and healing and everything else. Just pure, take as least damage as possible. There are plenty of builds that can ignore this philosophy by taking advantage of things like healing and regen and still do fine, but that's not standard tanking.

And I'm pretty sure % reduction is % reduction, a character hitting for 100 AD would hit a tank with 70% armor reduction for 30. Which makes my math correct. Though it's important to note I was just using examples, my numbers for armor are not consistent with their in-game reduction value, and were only for demonstration.

Wofford

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgrim View Post
my numbers for armor are not consistent with their in-game reduction value, and were only for demonstration.
200 armor is 66% reduction not 70% meaning my above calculation is accurate, while your caclulation for percentage is also correct! but as you mentioned above the relation of armor and reduction% in your post was incorrect That is what caused the missunderstanding!

QUOTE:
Q: How does armor and magic resistance work? (Credit to Garek for framing it better than I could.)

Every 1 armor means the damage it takes to kill you is extended by 1% of your hitpoints. At 100 armor, it takes 100% more damage to kill you, ie it requires double damage, ie you're taking half-damage. At 300 armor you're taking 25% damage, etc.

Magic resistance works in the exact same fashion, except it does so against spells only. There is no overlap between armor and magic resistance at all. (Ex. Having 500 Armor would have no impact on spells, having 500 Magic Resistance would have no impact on physical attacks)

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3287

Asgrim

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wofford View Post
200 armor is 66% reduction not 70% meaning my above calculation is accurate, while your caclulation for percentage is also correct! but as you mentioned above the relation of armor and reduction% in your post was incorrect That is what caused the missunderstanding!

QUOTE:
Q: How does armor and magic resistance work? (Credit to Garek for framing it better than I could.)

Every 1 armor means the damage it takes to kill you is extended by 1% of your hitpoints. At 100 armor, it takes 100% more damage to kill you, ie it requires double damage, ie you're taking half-damage. At 300 armor you're taking 25% damage, etc.

Magic resistance works in the exact same fashion, except it does so against spells only. There is no overlap between armor and magic resistance at all. (Ex. Having 500 Armor would have no impact on spells, having 500 Magic Resistance would have no impact on physical attacks)

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3287
Yes, but my original numbers, again, were only for demonstration on how the percentage works. It didn't need to be correct, but it's fine either way.

And that's only to a certain point, as he says 100 armor is 50% and 300 is 75% reduction, there is diminishing returns. Which means 1 armor =/= 1% life, while that may be true in lower armor values. The only real way to continue to calculate TEH effectively is the formula and method I showed you, using percentages.

Wofford

11-27-2011

the way you and i calculate it is simply different you divide the damage while I multiply the health both ways work

1234511 ... 15