Full crit damage rune-page - opinions?

First Riot Post
12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Theorycrafter

11-26-2011

You can get a total of ~45.5%+ critical damage via whole rune page of crit damage.
Can this be of use to anyone? Shaco, Tryndamere? Ashe?
Opinions?

Theorycrafter

11-26-2011

Bump.

Cenerae

11-26-2011

Crit damage is a newbie trap. Save your IP.

Some people have done the mathcraft, and you need approximately 60% crit chance before they become better than armor penetration runes, and even then the damage boost is slight at best.

Tehwubz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2011

im a newb an i apreciate the above messege ^.^

BOOTYWARRIOR

11-26-2011

i have one and i used to use it on old school gang.. i would just rush infinity edge, its merely just a for laughs rune page tho. Never really use it anymore.

Defile

11-26-2011

not worth it since it wont be useful if u cant crit, which wont be til u buy some items like IE or PD
armor pen works throughout the whole game much more useful

Pig Magus

11-26-2011

Red and Purple Armor Pen with Blue and Yellow Crit Chance would be better for Tryn/Ashe imo.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

11-27-2011
1 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
Some people have done the mathcraft, and you need approximately 60% crit chance before they become better than armor penetration runes, and even then the damage boost is slight at best.
crit chance isn't really the stat that matters here, it's your target's armor value.
it's better to look at it like this:

on a non-crit:
armor penetration marks + quints give up to a 25% increase in damage.
crit damage marks + quints give a 0% increase in damage.

on a crit:
armor penetration marks + quints give up to a 25% increase in damage.
crit damage marks + quints give a ~17% increase in damage.

even with 100% crit chance, it's possible that the crit damage runes are inferior to the armor penetration runes.
to find out the point at which (on a crit) armor penetration runes aren't superior, you have to find out how much armor past what you can penetrate would be enough to sufficiently devalue the penetration runes. i believe this point is ~50 armor.

so, in the case that you have only sunder, crit damage marks + quints are better than armor penetration marks + quints on a crit when your target has over 80 armor. it's not really an issue of reaching a certain amount of crit chance.

it's a minor point though--the practical thing to take away from that is regardless of your crit chance, crit damage runes will only be better than armor penetration for cases in which your attacks are being significantly mitigated. and even then, only on the attacks that crit. that's typically not the time to celebrate rune effectiveness, hence crit damage runes are always* bad.

that's already been covered though, clearly. i just wanted to mention that crit chance is largely irrelevant.

*the one exception is when a target's armor is reduced to zero for you (which would make armor penetration runes worthless). this can happen if your teammates pick up items like black cleaver or stark's fervor, or have skills like rammus's taunt, nasus's spirit fire, or taric's shatter.

dirtpoor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2011

In harrass/poke situations crit damage can be very fun. Its not like you sit trading blows for blows all game. Sometimes you get a poke in, you get out. Get another poke later, get out. When you happen to land those crits on a poke run you really can tell the difference immidiatly. The only crit damage runes I ever use though is the quints on very specific chars + builds.

DreamsOfGrandeur

11-27-2011

Crit damage runes need buffs.

That's my opinion.

12345 ... 7