What's with all the hate for Dominion?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Inkyjinx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

i think it's mostly the 'ranked' pbase that rails on Dominion.

they've spent a lot of time getting really good at laning/last hitting and that's become the game to them. Dominion takes that away and it pissed them off.

this is what numerous SR players have told me. well they told me something else but really MEANT that.

i, for one, hate laning. hate it with a passion. it's completely tedious and counter-intuitive.

and - for the IP rewards - do the math. the 2-3 games of Dominion you'll play in the same time as you play one game of SR - Dominion yields better IP rewards per hour.

and i think Dominion isn't balanced, but it's pretty near the balance level achieved on SR.

there's just as much strategy in Dominion, it's just different strategy with a faster pace

Seņor Pancho

11-25-2011

my theory is that the people who dislike dominion are the people that lost their first (and only) 3-4 games, back when it was on beta or at the release.

then they said to themselves " **** this ****, it sucks " and they never really bothered to keep playing until they get how fun it can be sometimes. well either this, or people that really, really like to play certain champions that, unfortunately, are poor choices in dominion.

when I started playing it the very first day it was possible (beta) I won 4/4 games and 4 were very close. I had a blast, and of course I kept playing. the power of the first impression...

but why they come here after and vent, is a mystery.

Stez007

11-25-2011

Warcraft characters weren't balanced for DotA, and that mod did pretty well for itself.

Thestuey

11-26-2011

I think it suffers mostly from being new. A majority of players here had a background in Dota. While SR is quite similar to it, CS is very different. Lack of ranked also hurts it quite a bit, in that many players just aren't interested in it for that reason alone.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

11-26-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekrogen View Post
I think the biggest issues for most Classic professional are:

a) Ranked doesn't exist for Dominion... yet.
b) Most of them played at most 10 games where they assumed every game from then on would just be a mindless killing spree. They failed to get to their appropriate elo where this just simply isn't the case.
there's probably a good amount of truth to those points, though i assume the bigger issue with 'a' is that competitive players don't want to queue with casual players, or players looking to test experimental builds. the appeal of a visible elo and ladder (while awesome) probably has less to do with someone's negative feelings toward dominion as a game mode.

the whole 'getting to their appropriate elo' point is why i think more players would enjoy dominion if they played significantly more games (and were open to learning more about the nuances of the game while doing so). i think ranked will help out in a lot of ways when it hits.

Taenshi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
there's probably a good amount of truth to those points, though i assume the bigger issue with 'a' is that competitive players don't want to queue with casual players, or players looking to test experimental builds. the appeal of a visible elo and ladder (while awesome) probably has less to do with someone's negative feelings toward dominion as a game mode.

the whole 'getting to their appropriate elo' point is why i think more players would enjoy dominion if they played significantly more games (and were open to learning more about the nuances of the game while doing so). i think ranked will help out in a lot of ways when it hits.
Yeah I know a LOT of my fellow platinum friends just don't care about it because of no ranked. Which is a major reason why I think ranked needs to come out like...yesterday in order for the real balance of the map to be figured out.

Will it be messy? Will it be unbalanced? Yes, it will be all of these things no matter how long Riot waits because you don't know how strong a map is until the best players start to use it.

Omfg Devin

11-26-2011

I ****ing love dominion. I carry and get 1st nearly every game. Just learn it and it's super fun, that's all. Summoners rift is super fun too. They are just totally different.

VeggieDealer

11-26-2011

I don't like it.

HuggableZombie

11-26-2011

I love dominion but i thin the reason that other players dont like it is because of the fact that they got to lvl 30 and played nothing but SR. I was pretty low lvl when Dominion came out so i was happy to play the new game type and enjoyed it. I don't think that it will get love by higher level players till later on when the newer players become the average player and be exposed to dominion at an early level.

Kari Arisu

11-26-2011

Domi lacks a lot of things that people liked from SR, which is why they liked this game.
Also, a LOT of champions are super unviable in Domi.

I'd play it more with a ranked version, just because I imagine ranked being a lot more relaxing for Domi than it is for SR. [In other words, less competitive and I don't have to feel as bad if I lose.]
I do agree that making a ranked version will make it much easier for Riot to figure out what to fix in Domi. Though overall, I find the main problem to be that you can't balance champions for both Domi and SR, unless you specifically make "Dominion only" nerfs/buffs.