Volibear Patch Preview: Gameplay Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Armidian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Hey Guys,

On the jungle changes, they have been tested extensively by pro players internally and externally. We used the public testing environments a lot for this, and have been testing them in the internal balance team for a very long time.

We would not be making these changes if we weren't confident they were going to make the game better for everyone. I know it's scary because you can't really know without playing them, but we completely understand the risk associated with a change like this, and are not making it lightly.

Morello mentioned accessibility to low level summoners as one goal, but the largest goal was actually aggression as it relates to lanes against lanes, and junglers ganking lanes, and making that create a more active early game. The low-level accessibility was something we were able to add in as a bonus as part of the rest of the changes we were doing. Jungling well is still very difficult compared to jungling poorly. However, doing it poorly is no longer complete fail, just bad.

Anyway, the bottom line is, it either works or it doesn't. Our testing shows it works. You guys will be able to see that it works when it is out. If it doesn't work, obviously we will change it.
Fair enough. We will see Tuesday.

Vrindlevine

11-25-2011

Interesting they sent the polish cooridinator instead of one of the more standard announcers. What your egos couldnt handle all the downvotes?

Cxhris

11-25-2011

This made me lol. No Nerf for fizz? Well another OP week for me then

mlmlkml1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

you guys are getting progressively dumber...

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-25-2011
3 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynmaker View Post
Once a couple players start whining, you know it's gonna snowball Zileas. The first page of this thread shows the type of people you have to cater to. I don't envy your job for a second.

The hive mind has spoken.
I think that its a bunch of large changes that are hard to understand, where the changes are removing something and replacing them with something else. People usually have a neutral reaction or a negative one, so the post is net negative.

We've had this happen with the support changes also -- which ultimately were accepted by the community once they played them. We will measure our success with this patch based on how you guys feel about it after its been out a week.

Moby the White

11-25-2011

Dear Zileas,

why remove dodge?
Why not just nerf it?
In other games dodge allows for 50% of damage to be taken, whereas parry blocks the attack entirely.
why not just copypasta the whole 50% dmg concept?

Chatterz

11-25-2011

god **** it

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-25-2011
4 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venser of Urborg View Post
Dear Zileas,

why remove dodge?
Why not just nerf it?
In other games dodge allows for 50% of damage to be taken, whereas parry blocks the attack entirely.
why not just copypasta the whole 50% dmg concept?
Because when a dodge happens, you make the attacker feel lame, and the defender tends not to notice... While when a crit happens, the attacker notices, and the defender tends to only notice when it is a chain crit.

A better way of thinking about this is -- I know a lot of times when a teammate has talked about a lucky crit, but the only time I hear about a lucky dodge is when someone barely survives a gank on the enemy team (and it's my jungler or teammate complaining about the dodge -- I tend to play tanks and AP).

That's why we don't like dodge, but do like crit.

Mo Zedong

11-25-2011

Badddd patch.

Im not against change , i think lane play is too passive right now. However the sivir changes simply make her boring , if not weak. The jungle changes make no sense. If runes are the issue , why does riot continue to make them cost so much? why do they keep the archaic leveling up system they have? And the red nerf , whilst it has good intentions , why is it melee only? now there is ZERO reason to ever put red on a melee. It was always more risky , but gave a higher slow in the past. But now you might as well just put it on your carry as soon as possible , unless of course the nerfs aren't that much , which means the nerf will change nothing cept for late game red priority , where melee still sometimes were able to make use of it.

zerovision

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
but the largest goal was actually aggression as it relates to lanes against lanes, and junglers ganking lanes, and making that create a more active early game.

Does this make sense to anyone? Making a more active early game, how by having the jungler run around the jungle like a chicken with its head cut off? Nerfing the xp and gold gain from creep camps will cause junglers to stay in the jungle longer just to get level 4 and gank. And you cant continue to gank once you fail or succeed for that matter as you'll fall way behind in level if the camps give less xp. Idk maybe I'm an idiot but it seems that this is just a terrible remake.