Curious: What Programming Language?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Squirrel Lord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-07-2009

I'm a Game Design and Development major, and I working on a project when I got sidetracked by LoL. Then the question hit me: what language are you guys programming in?

I always get curious about this, but I rarely have the actual opportunity to ask the developers.

Sythion

10-07-2009

I'd be very surprised if the core game isn't using C/C++

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

10-07-2009
1 of 5 Riot Posts

we use at least the following languages here
C++ (the core game is written in this)
Lua (core game)
C# (game tools)
ActionScript (game hud and pvp.net)
Java (platform servers)
Erlang (platform servers)
Php/sql (web team / platform)

Husbane

10-07-2009

Honestly I have no idea, but I would say...

I'm sure there are more then one. Core engine is probably C or C++ (maybe even Java, but doubtful). I'm pretty sure that some of the interfaces are done in some iteration of flash (as LoL needs to install AIR). It wouldn't surprise me to also find out that a lot of game play elements are written in some proprietary (or not so proprietary) scripting language (see LUA). I'd even be willing to be there's the occasional BASH and/or PERL script on the server side.

... again, I could be totally wrong, but in the enterprise level environments I've seen, for better or worse, there's rarely only one technology in place.

J

Edit: ^^^ Was typing this while Lima was, nice! Owned on the Java. I should have said PHP/SQL for the web (.php duh) but I assumed we were only speaking about the game itself (or maybe some of the interfaces load PHP, I've seen that before.

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

10-07-2009
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husbane View Post
and would have never guess ActionScript (ewww).
You DID guess actionScript, you said "Flash" yourself. Actionscript is how you script flash. hee hee

Husbane

10-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans View Post
we use at least the following languages here
C++ (the core game is written in this)
Lua
C#
ActionScript
Java
Erlang
Php/sql

Lima, since you are using LUA, any plans for the allowance of AddOns? I know this isn't WoW, but seriously, I want to buy the cooldown counter interface from CTMod (for reals!!!).

J

Husbane

10-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans View Post
You DID guess actionScript, you said "Flash" yourself. Actionscript is how you script flash. hee hee
I realized that, which is why I removed it... owned again. I'm not a flash guy... I was thinking ActiveScript...

Squirrel Lord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-07-2009

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity Lima. That was a really fast response.

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

10-07-2009
3 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husbane View Post
Lima, since you are using LUA, any plans for the allowance of AddOns? I know this isn't WoW, but seriously, I want to buy the cooldown counter interface from CTMod (for reals!!!).

J
Yeah we want to do this someday =)

Grimicus

10-07-2009

Lua is probably how they script the gameplay client side would be my guess. Really technical designers can use Lua pretty easily to test things out and extend functionality. The rest of that stuff is probably a combination of serverside and pvp.net. Although I guess you could embed C# stuff in your client...but I hope not, that's always a world of pain.