Can you be banned for swearing?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Clueless PhD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
If you choose to interpret "Riot employees review any case that could result in a suspension " and "a super majority of voters and a Riot employee have to find you guilty" that way, I guess that is your decision. However the truth is that Rioters review not just individual cases, but we audit the system as a whole.
Thanks for affirming this, once again. It has to get old. No matter how many times Riot comes out and says this stuff, people refuse to listen for some reason.

By the way, how are you liking LA? You had to move out there to work for Riot, right?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EncasedShadow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Player Support Specialist

11-18-2011
5 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imclueless View Post
Thanks for affirming this, once again. It has to get old. No matter how many times Riot comes out and says this stuff, people refuse to listen for some reason.

By the way, how are you liking LA? You had to move out there to work for Riot, right?
Losing access to your account can be a frustrating event, even for a few days. I can understand that people are passionate about something they've spent time and effort on. I had a huge amount of invested time and money in my old account. I don't regret making those purchases. Even though I can add any content, IP or RP I want to my account now, I still can relate to people who highly value their account.

Honestly, when I am voting in a Tribunal case I want to pardon. I don't like telling people they can't play a game I enjoy. But if they're being problematic, I don't want them ruining the experience for other players either. That's why I participate, and that's one reason why we developed the Tribunal. I really like the Tribunal, and we do have improvements we want to implement in the future to help it even be better. That's why I'm here posting in threads.

By removing a few toxic players, the vast majority of players are much happier and the game is more fun. We've stated in the past that most players never appear in the Tribunal again after receiving a warning. The Tribunal is serving a dual purpose of reminding players whats acceptable, and removing the unacceptable players.

LA is nice, super big. Probably haven't seen 1/10th of it and I've been here for 9 months now. Still have some sticker shock. There are some "reasonable" apartments here that I could have rented six 2 bedroom houses for where I went to college.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Clueless PhD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
Losing access to your account can be a frustrating event, even for a few days. I can understand that people are passionate about something they've spent time and effort on. I had a huge amount of invested time and money in my old account. I don't regret making those purchases. Even though I can add any content, IP or RP I want to my account now, I still can relate to people who highly value their account.

Honestly, when I am voting in a Tribunal case I want to pardon. I don't like telling people they can't play a game I enjoy. But if they're being problematic, I don't want them ruining the experience for other players either. That's why I participate, and that's one reason why we developed the Tribunal. I really like the Tribunal, and we do have improvements we want to implement in the future to help it even be better. That's why I'm here posting in threads.

By removing a few toxic players, the vast majority of players are much happier and the game is more fun. We've stated in the past that most players never appear in the Tribunal again after receiving a warning. The Tribunal is serving a dual purpose of reminding players whats acceptable, and removing the unacceptable players.

LA is nice, super big. Probably haven't seen 1/10th of it and I've been here for 9 months now. Still have some sticker shock. There are some "reasonable" apartments here that I could have rented six 2 bedroom houses for where I went to college.
Could you give any info on what those improvements might be? I know I've seen a lot of suggestions around the forums, and a lot of "We'll look into this". If you can't, that's cool. But, if there are any ideas being tossed around, it'd be a nice show to the community that it is being looked at. From my perspective, a lot of people read "We're working on it" and just don't believe it. I have a little more faith than that, but I can see where they're coming from.

It's kinda similar to a lot of the Champion reworks and such. We know you guys are working, but a significant portion of the playerbase is a little too impatient to wait.

One thing that I know people are looking at is a solution for the really ancient reports in the Tribunal. Should someone be punished for something that long ago? Have they changed their behavior? How can we know? Pi was part of a thread a little while back talking about that one, I know.

Yeah, I know things are a little more expensive there than back in Peoria. At least the smell is better, as is the water. We've got a house out there that we stay in for vacations and such, just a couple of blocks up from The Strand.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jassu

Senior Member

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wong Fey Hong View Post
@ Encased Shadow: So basically, the Tribunal's automated so that /reports and Tribunal "punish" verdicts have all the power to suspend players, and Riot's AFK on all matters related to case review because it seems like it's just all up to the players now.
How the hell did you interpret that from his post?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zeful

Senior Member

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatFeesh View Post
I really don't see what the issue is with calling someone who is bad... bad.
Because you instead could have actually tried to help the player get better. By calling someone bad, you are taking just as much responsibility for the game's outcome as the bad player by essentially saying "I'm better at this game than you, but I will do nothing to help you improve and us win the game because I'm petty."


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EncasedShadow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Player Support Specialist

11-18-2011
6 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imclueless View Post
Could you give any info on what those improvements might be? I know I've seen a lot of suggestions around the forums, and a lot of "We'll look into this". If you can't, that's cool. But, if there are any ideas being tossed around, it'd be a nice show to the community that it is being looked at. From my perspective, a lot of people read "We're working on it" and just don't believe it. I have a little more faith than that, but I can see where they're coming from.

It's kinda similar to a lot of the Champion reworks and such. We know you guys are working, but a significant portion of the playerbase is a little too impatient to wait.
I don't know how much I can share but we've already made some back end changes to improve case thresholds and make sure we can provide proper evidence when we can. Pi has done some great work on fixing some of the bugs that have been reported here.

Pre and post game chats included in logs are on the want-to-do list, but its difficult because these chats aren't on the same system as the in game chat. I've also seen post game chats that have lasted overnight. I'll have to ask someone more savvy about the possibility of including a transcript at time of report, that might be an alternative solution.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Imclueless View Post
One thing that I know people are looking at is a solution for the really ancient reports in the Tribunal. Should someone be punished for something that long ago? Have they changed their behavior? How can we know? Pi was part of a thread a little while back talking about that one, I know.
Well, thats why we were asking for feedback, we want to know what users think. If you see a case today with reports from August, do you see that as a sign of consistent negative behavior, or a few big lapses? Depending on what people think we have the ability to make adjustments.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Byerley

Senior Member

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
Losing access to your account can be a frustrating event, even for a few days. I can understand that people are passionate about something they've spent time and effort on.
This is not why people are confused. People are confused because Riot posts constantly conflict with each other. A new red recently posted,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Ambassador View Post
Nope, all Tribunal cases are reviewed by a Riot Team Member.
While you yourself claimed that "low-level" stuff is automated.

Is the system really changing so frequently that all these posts are true? The system was supposed to be moving towards automation. Why is it moving in the other direction?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EncasedShadow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Player Support Specialist

11-18-2011
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking Violet View Post
This is not why people are confused. People are confused because Riot posts constantly conflict with each other. A new red recently posted,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Ambassador View Post
Nope, all Tribunal cases are reviewed by a Riot Team Member.
While you yourself claimed that "low-level" stuff is automated.

Is the system really changing so frequently that all these posts are true? The system was supposed to be moving towards automation. Why is it moving in the other direction?
I wasn't saying they were confused, I said frustrated. I'm not sure how they confused they could be by this matter, when the two interpretations are "Riot looks at all cases" and "Riot looks at all suspensions" either way covers their concerns.

Regarding Ambassador RoreBAWW's post I think the context is important. The question was
"is there ever any circumstance under which access to an account is lost, by anyone, for any amount of time without direct review by a Riot employee? I'm talking even a one day ban. ANY amount of time."

To which the answer is "no, we look at all these cases". Warnings have proven to be accurate enough to be automated and have minimal impact. I think warnings do technically have a 5 minute hold, but most people never see this.

As I've said, while there may not be lots of user facing changes to the Tribunal, we've made some adjustments on our end. Tribunal voters have done a great job at getting the worst of the accounts. When we first opened up we had the worst of the worst for review, and honestly, we probably could have just banned them all right off the bat, but we wanted to see how the Tribunal would fare and we were very pleased. Now cases are a little less clear cut, but guilty cases are still overwhelmingly accurate.

I honestly don't know our plans for any further automation. It may depend on our case volume and the Tribunal's continued accuracy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quotheraven

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
I wasn't saying they were confused, I said frustrated. I'm not sure how they confused they could be by this matter, when the two interpretations are "Riot looks at all cases" and "Riot looks at all suspensions" either way covers their concerns.

Regarding Ambassador RoreBAWW's post I think the context is important. The question was
"is there ever any circumstance under which access to an account is lost, by anyone, for any amount of time without direct review by a Riot employee? I'm talking even a one day ban. ANY amount of time."

To which the answer is "no, we look at all these cases". Warnings have proven to be accurate enough to be automated and have minimal impact. I think warnings do technically have a 5 minute hold, but most people never see this.

As I've said, while there may not be lots of user facing changes to the Tribunal, we've made some adjustments on our end. Tribunal voters have done a great job at getting the worst of the accounts. When we first opened up we had the worst of the worst for review, and honestly, we probably could have just banned them all right off the bat, but we wanted to see how the Tribunal would fare and we were very pleased. Now cases are a little less clear cut, but guilty cases are still overwhelmingly accurate.

I honestly don't know our plans for any further automation. It may depend on our case volume and the Tribunal's continued accuracy.
Excellent info. I guess I've been misinterpreting the info for quite some time. It was to my understanding that the system generated suspensions automatically based on an overwhelming majority of Punish pushing and that the no kidding account closures were the Riot-reviewed cases. I can't even imagine that load of **** that you guys had placed on your desks when the Tribunal first came out, in that case. Glad the system has been able to trim the fat for you.

I've often wondered what the daily warm-up routine would be, when thinking about the sheer number of cases needed for review. Lots of Redbull and good music?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Methelod

Senior Member

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking Violet View Post
This is not why people are confused. People are confused because Riot posts constantly conflict with each other. A new red recently posted,



While you yourself claimed that "low-level" stuff is automated.

Is the system really changing so frequently that all these posts are true? The system was supposed to be moving towards automation. Why is it moving in the other direction?
There we go, you have been disproven completely, now please stop trolling? You can't win, a rioter has taken your post and just said "No, you are wrong." Now live with it, please?