[Learn ****] Why I'm 1800+ and how to get here

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FOODFOOD

11-17-2011

Played a game on your team yesterday, 5HIT. I was the Noct. You fed as Cho on top, and I half wanted to call you a feeder. We were down almost 20 kills, 3 towers, all dragons, and a baron.

And we came back and won. 5HIT, your post is indeed true.

Borfist

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodpaly View Post
And at all the people going "lol 5hitcombo in Elo hell" I hardly find that a reason to discount some extremely sound advice in this thread. Learning = improving, QQing = stagnating. Maybe he isn't following his own advice.
He was one of the top players in season one, but he's been outplayed by the up and comers of season 2

Wappa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2011

maybe when 5hitcombo stops playing AP nasus. he'll rise up in ranks again. he needs to get on my level. huehuehuehuehuehue

Morello

Lead Designer

11-18-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I've hesitated a long time on commenting on this thread (and mostly due to tone/wording, sorry 5HIT <3), but I wanted to throw my hat in the ring here.

The information stated here is generally true. Plausible deniability is the act of externalizing poor experiences as "not our fault" - it's a classic human behavior that we're all prone to in some degree...though some more than others.

Right now, I'm getting jackblasted in Ranked for Season 2. Is this because "my noob teams are full of scrubs"? No. It's because I'm not doing very well, and I need to improve if I want to climb in rating.

Sometimes you will lose a game or two based on an external factor almost completely - but elo isn't about every game, it's about consistency. If you lose 35-40% of your games completely uncontrollably, your elo will still eventually rise. Did you really do everything perfect every game? Was there no way you could have done something better and turned the game around?

This question (and answering it honestly each time) is the key to improvement, and taking accountability for your own skill level and elo rating. Simply put, plausible deniability will shield your ego, but it will only prevent you from becoming a better player.

Communist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2011

Posting under Morello!

Abedeus

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5HITCOMBO View Post
I've been trying new champs for the first time in ranked, riot put boost in after i started playing, lots of leavers, afkers, etc., and i've been policing people left and right for being bad.

See ya in plat S2 .
I played 11 games before boost, lost first game after boosts.

Bad excuse is bad.

OJ191

11-18-2011

Good necro whoever necro'd it. Definitely worth reading.

Honestly i don't know where I belong, but I have a >50% win rate so obviously it's above where I am now, I will say however. It is not a matter of carrying scrubs vs scrubs, it also depends on who you are playing and how fed the enemy team gets. If you have your entire team of 4 feeding their entire team of 5, it can cause problems regardless of how well you can carry.

PS: win streaks suck, I'd rather win 2 lose 1 than win 20 in a row then lose 10 in a row, but the latter seems to happen to me a lot more than the former

EDIT: Also, I feel there is too much emphasis on the first 15-20 placement matches and not enough on regular matches. For the first 10 or so matches you gain and lose FIFTY elo. At the bottom end of the spectrum you are then gaining and losing around 12. 12 is nothing. That means you have to win 10 games IN A ROW just to gain a little over 100 elo. So if you belong in say 1800, and for whatever reason your placement matches get screwed lets just say hypothetically they bug so you don't get any bonus gain or loss and start at 1200 with +/- 12. IT would take you 50 wins IN A ROW to get there. That is a LOT when you consider the potential for massive ****ups outside of your control.

Now I don't know how the system could me made better, but I won some of my placement matches and got to 1380, then got trolled the **** out of a lot of my other ones and ended up at 1250 by the end of it from mass leavers and trolls (I made the mistake of playing on the week of the reset... LOL). I'm right now at ~1320 and while I have no clue where exactly I belong, I have a > 50% win rate. But it is still going to take FOREVER to get wherever I belong. And that is pretty annoying.

Bloodpaly

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ191 View Post
EDIT: Also, I feel there is too much emphasis on the first 15-20 placement matches and not enough on regular matches. For the first 10 or so matches you gain and lose FIFTY elo. At the bottom end of the spectrum you are then gaining and losing around 12. 12 is nothing. That means you have to win 10 games IN A ROW just to gain a little over 100 elo. So if you belong in say 1800, and for whatever reason your placement matches get screwed lets just say hypothetically they bug so you don't get any bonus gain or loss and start at 1200 with +/- 12. IT would take you 50 wins IN A ROW to get there. That is a LOT when you consider the potential for massive ****ups outside of your control.

Now I don't know how the system could me made better, but I won some of my placement matches and got to 1380, then got trolled the **** out of a lot of my other ones and ended up at 1250 by the end of it from mass leavers and trolls (I made the mistake of playing on the week of the reset... LOL). I'm right now at ~1320 and while I have no clue where exactly I belong, I have a > 50% win rate. But it is still going to take FOREVER to get wherever I belong. And that is pretty annoying.
It makes sense that starting matches are more for placement, then as you are nearing your theoretical correct Elo, the system tries to zoom in on your rating. If you belong at 1800, and you are at 1200, you WILL destroy games so hard that if you are truly playing at an 1800 player level, you will have a pretty big win streak, and gain the rating back rather quickly.

Torm

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I've hesitated a long time on commenting on this thread (and mostly due to tone/wording, sorry 5HIT <3), but I wanted to throw my hat in the ring here.

The information stated here is generally true. Plausible deniability is the act of externalizing poor experiences as "not our fault" - it's a classic human behavior that we're all prone to in some degree...though some more than others.

Right now, I'm getting jackblasted in Ranked for Season 2. Is this because "my noob teams are full of scrubs"? No. It's because I'm not doing very well, and I need to improve if I want to climb in rating.

Sometimes you will lose a game or two based on an external factor almost completely - but elo isn't about every game, it's about consistency. If you lose 35-40% of your games completely uncontrollably, your elo will still eventually rise. Did you really do everything perfect every game? Was there no way you could have done something better and turned the game around?

This question (and answering it honestly each time) is the key to improvement, and taking accountability for your own skill level and elo rating. Simply put, plausible deniability will shield your ego, but it will only prevent you from becoming a better player.
This set of articles here: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw , line up with what you said and then some; It's one of the more insightful things i've read when it comes to competitive gaming and it's something that I took to heart and learned from while climbing the competitive MT:G ladder. But, I think it applies to just about every game.

TopherB

11-18-2011

was platinum season 1.
college started right after season 1 ended.
hit 1700, get outlaned most of the time because i dont play enough.
l0l0l0l0l blame the jungler.

edit: was also fake platinum, hit 1902 and was too terrified to go any further.