Q&A - New Rune System

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-12-2009
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Ya besides the buggyness of the runes which will eventually get fixed I have a question about the rune combiner. Is the current set up of combining runes to get a random result going to stay? Is it actually some random result? I know 5 of Lvl 2 gets lvl 3 for instance. However if you put 2 level 3's together of a similiar type and ability shouldn't you then get something similiar back in return? Like if you get +X mana and +Xmana/regen how can that turn into something that gives you like +dodge or +armor something like that.
YEs, its supposed to be random. The idea is that you can cannibalize surplus runes into better ones. We will be awarding some random runes later, and youll be able to choose random runes OR speciifc runes(But you can get a lot more random runes for the same choice... so we want to have a way to "reroll"

Larias

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

07-12-2009

Q&A updated.

Spiffy

Adjudicator

07-16-2009

List of all available runes atm: http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...read.php?t=546 (have fun bleeding from your eyes)

Will be auto-updated each week as I patch.

Danerz

Adjudicator

07-17-2009

Yeah nice Q&A Larias i wasnt quite sure about somethings with the rune system. thanks!

robx0r

07-18-2009

What's the difference between primary and secondary runes?

micha

Adjudicator

07-18-2009

Primary is always the Rune with the best Stats, when theres a Secondary thats just a notification to you that the rune isn't the best of the type, when i'm not totally wrong.

ccLemon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2009

interesting

Neuromancer

07-20-2009

I think it'd be really cool if you could just buy random rune packs, but there was a system for upgrading. Like, 5 random runes of any color = 1 random rune of any color one tier higher, 5 random red runes of a tier = random red rune of higher tier, 2 random color runes of same tier = random color rune of same tier. 2 runes of same tier = rune of same tier with combined stats, but slightly less powerful in each stat.

(e.g. A +.25% crit per level t1 + +.25% attack speed per level t1 = +.15% crit per level, +.15% attack speed per level t1)

Then you could try to get 5 of those runes, combine them, and get a +.3% crit/lvl +.3% attack speed/lvl t2 rune. In the end people would be buying alot more runes and the really good runes would have a great value, and create a market for people willing to spend the time/money(influence) to create them. (If an auction house system gets implemented)

Stexe

Adjudicator

07-20-2009

Runes are the dumbest idea of LoL. I don't mind the Mastery system of Summoners, but having random Runes makes this game like MtG, which is an awful idea.

Too much randomness in getting runes and the length of time it takes to get them is just silly. Why not remove runes and expand upon the Mastery system? That would be so much better... no need for trying to "collect them all."

Im Sorry IV

07-24-2009

mtgo isn't random, just give a lot of customisation. The runes do the same job here. The thing that is good about it, and is true even in MTGO is that you will never be IMBA, there will always be a build that counter you, since people can pretty much come up with anything.