Does LoL give virus's?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Orzvi0n

06-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeySlayer View Post
I have not thought about that. Well, my computer has like 714 thregths from league in general. And nothing else.. And yes it is played in other parts in the world.. and that is a big reason why it could be giving virus's..
That didn't make sense honestly. Yes, it is played around the world but with different hosts. Riot hosts the NA version so it is impossible for the other LoLs to give our LoL computer AIDs.

Okay to be honest, I just finished routine scanning for viruses before I read this thread. I didn't find any viruses related to LoL. Another thing is, I've had this game installed to my computer and the only issues I've had with it is FPS issues. That of which was resolved by re-installing the game and any other related components.

Azoik

06-25-2010

What program is telling you there's 714 threats?

SlimePezza

06-25-2010

The free Anti Virus programs are so bad and stupid so they think everything is a virus.

Chaddles

06-25-2010

Good afternoon all,

I have read this and feel compelled to add input. First, most of us that use the internet, unless nomatons or of the younger variety, know that downloading legally sketchy and the sometimes the most entertaining things from the internet can cause a bad case of the oogies in the form of Mal/Spyware and Viruses. This game could trigger a response from AntiVirus/Mal/Spyware due to from what I can tell runs on a P2P networking somehow, which makes sense if we all play together. Simply set your software/filters to ignore or allow the connections to LoL. Also, to be helpful when listing threats to your computer, such as "714 threats", you will always want to include which program and maybe even a log file showing this. In any case Riot looks to be a legitimate company coming out with a great idea. Please more details and I am sure that we can help each other out but from what it sounds run an entire scan, take care of issues and move on.

Naltharial

06-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimePezza View Post
The free Anti Virus programs are so bad and stupid so they think everything is a virus.
Well, Avast! is not all that bad.

Until, you know, you're playing a horror game (FEAR / Dead Space) and a huge monster jumps out in front of you, scaring you out of your pants and screams "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED"!
Or, watching LotR and seeing one of the tenser moments, when Gandalf is giving orders and you're all into what's about to happen, when he dramatically turns around, points his finger in an even more dramatic fashion and announces "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED".

Oh well.

hohums

Software Engineer

06-25-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

For what its worth. LOL has no viruses or spyware... that would simply work against our goal of making this game assessable to everyone who wants to play it. Some virus scanners are overly aggressive and we have worked with many virus scanning companies to make sure that LOL is whitelisted.

Of course if you download LOL from a third party (ie bit-torrent) you many get a virus or a keylogger installed. We have no control over that. None of the so-called "hacks" these torrents provide actually work BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimePezza View Post
Personally free virus scanner wize I prefer Avast (with the sound off).

Azoik

06-25-2010

Just put Avast on game mode and you'll never hear from it again.

XGDragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2010

lol. Virus scanners are worthless. I've been running around without one for 7 years now, never got any trouble.

And even if I did, I'm not noticing anything.

junchurriki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2010

IDK about u but i dont have any viruses from it. i scanned it with Avast antivirus thingy and it said no threat detected.

Atrius

06-25-2010

Typically the culprit for false positives in AV software is Heuristics scanning. This is essentially looking for sequences of code that could in someway appear to be a virus. Often times this results in flagging things that are not a virus, but are code that appears to be when out of context.

The idea behind Heuristics scanning is to detect a new virus before they have identified it. However since there are so many false positives it's often a burden more than it helps. I also work in the software industry where we are constantly working with AV companies to whitelist applications, it's a pain.