LoL Item Changer (Tool)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

yourbuddypal

06-25-2010

*For those of you who are not interested in using this program anymore: either perform a rollback from the application or delete your C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\Config\Champions folder. Do NOT deploy again after the rollback. Thank you for using the program and I hope you enjoyed it. If you do decide that you do not like Riot's implementation please come back and give suggestions for improving LIC. *

*Having Issues? Please see the FAQ two posts below*

Presenting
: The LoL Item Changer v 4.0.1.1 (Requires .Net 4.0).
Courtesy of Yourbuddypal

Forward:

The LoL Item Changer allows you to set the Recommended Items that display for every champion in game. It is a helpful tool used to create or modify Item Builds that are fully functional in game. This program leverages Riot’s own API and is completely legal to use.

Summary:

The LoL Item Changer is a program used to update the default Recommended Items for each champion. Recommended Items display in game and are updated at infrequent intervals by Riot. In response to Riot's thread about Recommended Items, many people requested the ability to update those items. This tool provides that feature. Items updated with this tool are FULLY functional in game - you can interact and buy any item that has been set, just as if it had been built in by default from Riot. This allows you to streamline your champion builds and save time fooling around in the item shop during the game.

How to Use:

(More Detailed information and tutorial videos will be posted soon. I decided to release the program rather than create a longer delay creating this material.)
Instructions:

1. Upon startup, you must pick whether to load your default items from the Default Items or from a file. The first time you run the program, the Default Items should be used.
  2. Pick a champion. You can use the filter to select a champion by (partial) name.
  3. Set your custom items! First, click on the item that you want to change. There are multiple ways to set up your items:
    • Select your item slot on the left then click on the desired item on the right. The filter can also be used here so that you don’t have to hunt.
    • Right click on the desired item. This will append it to the current Build Section.
    • Filter the items down to a single item and press return. If only one item exists it will be selected and the text filter will be cleared.
    • Drag an item from the items panel onto an item slot.
    • Swap item slots by dragging and dropping between them.
    • Hold control while dragging an item slot and that item will be copied to the destination slot. 6 Phantom dancers you say? No problem.
  4. Save your file. This will be done automatically if either the Save Items on Deploy option is selected (and a valid file has already been selected) or if the Save and Deploy Automatically option is selected.
  5. Deploy! There are two ways to do this. Either deploy manually by using the menu option or automatically with the Save and Deploy Automatically menu option. Upon doing so, the recommended items will be written out to the League of Legends folder.

Video tutorial generously made by IonDragonX:
http://youtu.be/vfd8cZgnwDM

Features:
  1. Manage any number of builds per champion and select which one to deploy.
  2. Make custom item builds using a GUI that has champion and item images, filters, and descriptions. For instance, you can filter items to only show those that give both AP and health, or just tenacity (an item group that the game is sorely lacking!)
  3. Rollback (aka undo) your custom items with the click of a button. (you are never required to use this feature any more, it is just there for convenience)
  4. Load default items at any time - Default items are loaded from the league of legends directory and are accessible at any time without the need to rollback custom items.
  5. Automatically updating program - makes sure you always have the latest and greatest, and it also means bugs are fixed in a timely manner!
  6. Item Build Files - The program supports the loading and saving of item build files (*.LRI files). This allows for multiple different builds (for instance, different Twisted Treeline and Summoner's Rift builds) that can also be shared. With the added feature of multiple builds per LRI file, I typically only have one LRI.

Special Thanks:
  • Monogamous – My good friend who was also an integral part in UI design with his WPF prowess.
  • IonDragonX – For his awesome work in helping me redesign the UI for version 4.0.0.0, his thread / community support for the program, and his motivational emails asking me “where on earth is version 4.0.0.0!?” I really cannot give him enough thanks!
  • Item Changer competitors - For giving me ideas and making me strive to make my program better.
  • Riot - For making an awesome game that also spurred a fun project for me to work on in my off time. I also need to give them thanks for helping out the community and creating the official API.

I think thats it. I hope you guys like it, and I strongly encourage you to post bug reports and feature requests. I have set up an email specifically for this, so you can contact LoLItemChanger AT gmail DOT com. Please Prefix subjects with BUG or FEATURE. Please be kind and constructive in any feedback/criticism! Please thumb up if you like it, thanks.

Love,
Yourbuddypal

***Disclaimer: All media is copyright Riot Games. This post confers no rights and claims no liability for what you do with this program and all that business.***

Donations

I am graciously accepting donations of any amount, which are completely optional of course. I checked this with Riot and they did not object - I do not claim to be affiliated with Riot in any way nor am I looking to profit from making this program. Donations help fund my noble habits of programming, playing LoL (including buying numerous skins) and drinking beer! They also help fund continued support of the application and any hosting fees that I incur.

Donate Link

Twitter:

Sometimes I make developer posts on the twitter account I created. I can't really make any guarantees that I will be diligent about it, but if thats your cup of tea you can find me at http://twitter.com/LoLItemChanger.

Please ONLY download the program from links that I officially post! I.E. only from this thread or from my twitter account.

Bugs:
A LOT of work went into version 4. I had to rewrite large portions of the app as well as change a lot of the data it uses. Basically... there will be bugs. I'm sure there will. Some of these will be error messages that will crop up and be immediately noticeable. Others will be data related in the way i have the Champions and Items data files set up. If you have any issues, please do share them either in this forum or via email and I shall try to address them in a timely manner. Thanks!

yourbuddypal

06-25-2010

Current version: 4.0.0.0

This post is intended for program update information. Changelogs prior to version 4.0.0.0 have been archived.

Change Log:

• 4.0.1.1: Bugfix release. Fixed a large number of issues including:
    • Major Bug: Windows 7 .net 4 environment textbox filter - the filter textboxes were not displaying properly for .net 4 machines. .Net 4.5 seems to fix this issue, but the program is targetted against 4.0.
    • Major Bug: Section dragging - section height of -Infinity: Hotfix to prevent crashes. Feature support of highlighting the drop location temporarily removed for .net 4 machines.
    • Minor Bug: Mouse wheel scrolling setting wrong item counts
    • Minor Bug: Right clicking item counts
    • Minor Bug: Changing item counts not saving properly
  • 4.0.1.0: Added a number of new features!
    • Item Costs - Displayed in the Description Panel
    • Items are now sorted by their item costs rather than alphabetically. This matches the LoL in game store.
    • Item Counts! - You can now properly set the count on any specific item, such as 2 dorans rings or 3 red pots.
    • Max Section Items - Riot said they only supported up to 7 items in a section. Turns out they dont seem to have a limit. You can now change the max number of items, from the default of 7 up to 50.
    • Bugfixes!
  • 4.0.0.2: A few bugfixes - fixed Chogath and fixed a deployment issue. Also moved the embedded Item image resources from the main Exe to the LoLResourceLibrary dll so that future deployments require less downloading.
  • 4.0.0.1: Tons of bugfixes. Fixed a bug with the LRI file not being properly associated when created with Automatic Deployment. TONS of Item data fixes.
  • 4.0.0.0: Updated to support Season 3! This basically required a large rewrite and sweeping changes to a majority of the program.
Roadmap (Future Plans)

4.0.2.0 Planned changes

- Load output JSON files #feature
- Deploy all champ builds but designate the selected build as selected #feature
- Item File fixes #bugfix
- Item File support for Unique Stats #enhancement

- Stat building similar to that seen on the great site LeagueCraft - Item stats, build stats, champion stats including per lvl stats. As of version 4.0.0.0, I have the architecture for all of this data in place and even have the data for items. This feature could be come a reality with some devotion!
- Optional Installer - I want to develop an installer that will be optional to use. This would verify the program prerequisites (.net framework), and possibly create program links as well as a file association with the LRI files.

Known Issues:
- I've discovered that there are some bugs due to differences between .Net 4.0 (the required version that the app is compiled against) and .Net 4.5 (which both of my development environments have). I assume this accounts for a very large percentage of the user base. I'm quite irritated by this, and am in the process of setting up a .net 4.0 dev environment. This affects Section dragging and the Item Filter searchbox not even displaying on some machines.

yourbuddypal

06-25-2010

FAQ

Question: How does this program work?
Answer: This program used to update binary files in the LoL directory that are specific per champion and replaces the default recommended items bytes. As of version 3.0 and up, this program uses Riot's API and simply places INI files in the lol directory. This is fully supported and allowed by Riot!

Question: This program doesn't work!
Answer: Hey! Thats not a question, what gives? Please either send me an email (address in the first post) or make a post on the forum here with a DETAILED description of the issue. If you can reproduce the issue consistently, please include any necessary steps. If you have an error message, please send the full body of the error message. I generally respond to unique cases very quickly.

Question: What is the LoL Directory to pick?
Answer: It should be set to the full path of the folder containing (but not including) the RADs folder. Mine is C:\Riot Games\League of Legends. I believe this is the default for MOST installations. If you need to manually edit this setting, it corresponds to the LoLDirectory element in the Settings.xml file.

Question: I found a bug, should I report it?
Answer: Have you checked the Known issues in the 2nd post in this thread? If your bug is not listed as a known issue, please do!

Question: Riot has released an official API, does this program use it?
Answer: Yes! Their official thread here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1177803

Question: I am having troubles updating to version 4.0.0.0 from version 3.2.0.1. Whats up?
Answer: There is a known issues with 3.2.0.1. You have two options. Either redownload the application from the link in the first thread, or go to your %temp% directory and make sure a directory named "LoLRecommendedItems" exists.

Grikshanks

06-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbuddypal View Post
****PATCH DAYS****
For League of Legends to patch properly, any changes that are made to the LoL directory must be undone. Never fear, just use the Rollback feature - this will replace the original LoL file. This needs to be done for the game to patch, but can be done after a patch has started. You don't need to worry about rolling back before opening LoL. Additionally, the program will try to detect if there has been an update to LoL before deleting the previous data backup, preventing you from putting your game client in an unrecoverable state.
quoting for emphasis and understanding, in the futile attempt to avert hundreds of threads on patch days wondering why their patcher is broken.

yourbuddypal

06-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grikshanks View Post
quoting for emphasis and understanding, in the futile attempt to avert hundreds of threads on patch days wondering why their patcher is broken.
I don't really understand what their deal is. The patcher seems to check to make sure that the existing Heropak_Client matches the OLD one that it is about to REPLACE... who cares!? Theyre replacing it anyways, they could just drop the new one on top and be done with it.

At any rate, I do think taht I've managed to get a pretty elegant wrap around for the problem. You basically have to really mess up to break a patch. And... if that happens, I was considering uploading the Heropak_Client file for download just in case. That would be the ultimate catch all... assuming Riot didnt care about redistribution.

Update: Since originally posting this, I have gone ahead and created the Fix Errors functionality that will download the latest Heropak_Client file from dropbox (where I upload it).
Double Edit: This whole post is outdated as of 2011.

BaronXL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Banned

06-25-2010

Wow. This should make things a lot easier. Thanks bro!

yourbuddypal

06-25-2010

Has any body given this a try yet? I'm dying for some feedback!

Side note: Dang these boards move fast!

Shikaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2010

Watched the video but haven't tried it myself. Looks very impressive.

Edit:: The app couldn't find Veigar on my computer for some reason.

BaronXL

Banned

06-25-2010

Friendly bump, because this looks promising. Going to try it when I get home from work tonight. Will post then.

Kenny

06-25-2010

Bump