Dominion Tier List and Analysis

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TB Once

11-08-2011

LIST IS CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW - EDITING THIS IS LIVE

Welcome to Oncewasblind's Tier List

I'm a serious player gearing up for competitive Dominion; I win about 80% of my games and will place #1 or #2 on my team around 90% of the time. Before you read my list, please take some time to understand the roles I'm sorting them by. Dominion does not abide by the standard tank - support - assassin - jungle - carry archetypes we have seen in Summoner's Rift. Instead, we have:

Brawler - a champion who does significant sustained damage and can force encounters with weaker targets.

Controller - an expert at capturing and disrupting points. They do not even have to engage in combat, as long as they're able to confuse and waste time, they're doing their job.

Holder - a champion who excels at holding a point, who can either stall their opponent long enough to wait for reinforcements, or after their death are able to keep a point from being captured.

Invader - a champion who can quickly neutralize an enemy, typically a Controller or a Holder. They are usually highly mobile with extreme burst damage.

NOTE: I will list the ten best champions in their own tier, and then the ten best for each role. Champions are listed in order of strength:

Top Tier - The ten kings of Dominion. They are unmatched.
Shaco, Rammus, Kassadin, Volibear, Blitzcrank, Kog'Maw, Pantheon, Karthus, Lee Sin, Jax

Brawler Tier - Sustained melee damage dealers.
Kayle, Riven, Wukong, Ryze, Skarner, Irelia, Tryndamere, Shyvana, Renekton, Sion

Controller Tier - Highly mobile capture and disruption.
Ezreal, Eve, Sona, Gangplank, Janna, Alistar, Teemo, Nidalee, Singed, Zilean

Invader Tier - Assassins and ranged attack damage.
Poppy, Fizz, Talon, Akali, Sivir, Leblanc, Urgot, Nocturne, Vayne, Graves

Holder Tier - Tanks and champions who are difficult to kill.
Heimerdinger, Yorick, Maokai, Soraka, Xerath, Garen, Jarvan IV, Morgana, Amumu, Galio

I've included some screenshots of my scores to verify my competence. I will be continually adjusting this list based upon your feedback, so instead of getting upset that your favorite champion isn't where you want him, convince me instead, I'm reasonable. I'll even test out your recommended build, and if you'd like to post a screenshot of your own to support your argument, I encourage you to do so.

mummra

11-08-2011

seems legit

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2011

No Blitz in Tier 1?

No Heimer in Tier 1?

No deal, sir. No deal.

Just a few things, I will note...

Eve is good, I'll grant you that. But apart from ninja capping, she is rarely able to help out in combat unless the player knows how to use her. If she is in the hands of someone experienced, yes, she can be Uber Tier. In the hands of an average player, though, she can be a huge liability.

Blitz is stupidly good at disruption on Dominion. In a game mode where positioning is key to so many engagement, Blitz can easily turn the tide of battle with a good Grab.

Heimer should be a no-brainer. He can lock down a point like a beast. He won't be as good at pushing as someone like Ryze (who I could debate should be Tier 1), but the price you will pay to get a point back from Heimer is always going to be high.

Warwick doesn't belong in Tier 3 if you have a Tier 4. His suppression is nice. Blood scent is handy to have. Everything he does, though, can be done better by other champs.

Lifrathsir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2011

Def stopped reading with Heim, Yorick, and Morg in T3.

MrSpaz

11-08-2011

Just a heads up for the knee-jerk reactions -- please note that he pretty specifically said that these are role-based tiers. Read the definition of the tiers, where being in tier 3 isn't necessarily indicative of being ranked 3/4. It's just that he's less strong (maybe slightly!) than champions in his role in tier 2.

That in mind, I'd put Heimer in Tier 2, if not 1, for the defensive role. In dominion, if it takes two -- sometimes three -- champions to dislodge someone, that someone's at the top of my list. It has to be a good Heimer, and he almost always has to have a Zhonyas, but a well-played brainy dude is a force to behold on this map.

I'd also move Vayne up, because this is the kind of environment a good Vayne absolutely excels in.

I'd also disagree that runners use 100% mobility builds -- especially if this starts seeing ranked play, where good positioning disrupts mobility-based builds. I'd argue that a runner role has to be filled by someone who can move quickly with a legitimate build, not someone who must build 100% mobility just to move fast.

TB Once

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpaz View Post
Just a heads up for the knee-jerk reactions -- please note that he pretty specifically said that these are role-based tiers. Read the definition of the tiers, where being in tier 3 isn't necessarily indicative of being ranked 3/4. It's just that he's less strong (maybe slightly!) than champions in his role in tier 2.

That in mind, I'd put Heimer in Tier 2, if not 1, for the defensive role. In dominion, if it takes two -- sometimes three -- champions to dislodge someone, that someone's at the top of my list. It has to be a good Heimer, and he almost always has to have a Zhonyas, but a well-played brainy dude is a force to behold on this map.

I'd also move Vayne up, because this is the kind of environment a good Vayne absolutely excels in.

I'd also disagree that runners use 100% mobility builds -- especially if this starts seeing ranked play, where good positioning disrupts mobility-based builds. I'd argue that a runner role has to be filled by someone who can move quickly with a legitimate build, not someone who must build 100% mobility just to move fast.
Excellent post. I agree with most of your points, especially about the runner role being able to be filled with a legitimate build, such as an AP kassadin with mobility boots. I like your reasoning on Heimer, but where would you place him at Tier 2? He's certainly good in the right hands, but he's very easy to fail at (hence tier 3).

MrSpaz

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncewasblind View Post
Excellent post. I agree with most of your points, especially about the runner role being able to be filled with a legitimate build, such as an AP kassadin with mobility boots. I like your reasoning on Heimer, but where would you place him at Tier 2? He's certainly good in the right hands, but he's very easy to fail at (hence tier 3).
I wouldn't rank champions based on skill cap -- especially if you're gearing for competitive play.

I didn't know your tiers were ordered. For defense, top of tier 2. I'd be pretty tempted to put him in the bottom of tier 1, though.

Most defense champions are going to be like that -- it's more important (to me) to have strong assault champions than defensive champions, since you can pull a team's defense off of a node by attacking a different one, then intercept them in the jungle.

TB Once

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
No Blitz in Tier 1?

No Heimer in Tier 1?

No deal, sir. No deal.

Just a few things, I will note...

Eve is good, I'll grant you that. But apart from ninja capping, she is rarely able to help out in combat unless the player knows how to use her. If she is in the hands of someone experienced, yes, she can be Uber Tier. In the hands of an average player, though, she can be a huge liability.

Blitz is stupidly good at disruption on Dominion. In a game mode where positioning is key to so many engagement, Blitz can easily turn the tide of battle with a good Grab.

Heimer should be a no-brainer. He can lock down a point like a beast. He won't be as good at pushing as someone like Ryze (who I could debate should be Tier 1), but the price you will pay to get a point back from Heimer is always going to be high.

Warwick doesn't belong in Tier 3 if you have a Tier 4. His suppression is nice. Blood scent is handy to have. Everything he does, though, can be done better by other champs.
Blitz is fantastic, which is why I put him at the top of Tier 2, and I'm debating if he's Tier 1 worthy. I'll probably move him up there, but I'm looking for more feedback first. Heimer CAN be great, but he suffers from the same dilemma as Eve (which you pointed out) - in the hands of a skilled played, fantastic, but in the hands of most players, he's rubbish.

Hikaru Genji

11-08-2011

Soraka and Yorick tier 3? LOL, so bad...

TB Once

11-08-2011

Read what tier 3 means in my explanation. It doesn't mean they're bad.

12345 ... 8