I miss orianna

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-06-2011
17 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
though granted I cannot confirm what his difficulty is at, but I hope I get my view across in a non-offensive way about champion creativity.
That's kind of an interesting point you raise there - However, take Riven - You know exactly what Riven will do - Get up to you and cleave your face off, however, I feel like the Riven player actually does have to think a lot about how to enter the fight, how to build and how to disengage.

But I could be wrong on this - Is this a good example of what you mean? Or how is it different? Or is Riven just as boring as Kassadin in this case?

Quote:
I can't tell if you guys are saying that she should or shouldn't throw her ball around like a football? Because if you don't are we trying to say that we should throw it at the precise moment only to hit the enemy champ? or only when necessary? When I was getting good with her I threw that **** like no other, are we trying to say that the ball is purely situational, are we expecting the enemy to run into it ? Is throwing the ball a lot the wrong way to use Orianna?
That's an interesting line of thought you raise there - I'll think about that.

You've basically raised the concern that throughout the buffs and nerfs, the intent behind the skill was lost somewhere - That's actually kind of a cool realization - I'll talk to live about that.

Flipsy

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYY0UMADBR0 View Post
I can't tell if you guys are saying that she should or shouldn't throw her ball around like a football? Because if you don't are we trying to say that we should throw it at the precise moment only to hit the enemy champ? or only when necessary? When I was getting good with her I threw that **** like no other, are we trying to say that the ball is purely situational, are we expecting the enemy to run into it ? Is throwing the ball a lot the wrong way to use Orianna?
Right now, yes it's the wrong way. With the increase in mana costs, the most viable way to keep her usefulness that I see is to only level up her Q at level 1, and using the ball solely to move around for her W, E and R. She's not a puppet master anymore, and the way that I see her (this is all gonna be from my personal POV so far, correct me if I'm ever wrong) is that tricky champs, the less-than-intelligent are afraid to play, and therefore they don't know her limits. For instance, a friend of mine could never outzone an Orianna given the fact that he had never played her before, so he didn't know her cooldowns, her range, etc. THAT kind of fear is what I think her ball instills into people. I see LoL as an interactive, constantly-moving chess game. Strategy is more key than brute force. Making your opponent fear your ball and to steer clear away from it is more beneficial than throwing it back and forth and doing minute damage to enemy champs and creeps in my book.

Freudia

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
That's kind of an interesting point you raise there - However, take Riven - You know exactly what Riven will do - Get up to you and cleave your face off, however, I feel like the Riven player actually does have to think a lot about how to enter the fight, how to build and how to disengage.

But I could be wrong on this - Is this a good example of what you mean? Or how is it different? Or is Riven just as boring as Kassadin in this case?
I think Riven's different in the regards that she has different methods of getting into your face and cleaving it off. She can Q spam up to you, or she can E up to you, or she can Flash onto you, and then once she's in your face she has different methods of cleaving it off, be it her autoattacks fully, autoattacks mixed with her skills, or just her remaining skills. Kassadin just has standard R-Q-E or Q-R-E and that's it really.

Zabrio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2011

Quote:
A bit, yeah - their melee threat range is a larger circle compared to smaller characters.
So they in a way trade off having a longer melee range in exchange for others being able to hit them earlier (effectively making a fight or poke happen a bit sooner than a fight with 2 smaller champions)?

SexyGamer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2011

Quote:

My question is partially relevant to champion mechanics: When you guys developed the E ability on Shyvanna, what was your goal? Because when i play her and use her E, its pretty animations and it debuffs the enemy, but it doesn't have that nuke power/feeling that you would expect from playing a dragon champion.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-06-2011
18 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
So they in a way trade off having a longer melee range in exchange for others being able to hit them earlier (effectively making a fight or poke happen a bit sooner than a fight with 2 smaller champions)?
They have a larger melee threat range in exchange for ranged harassers to hit them more easily - yes.

Quote:
My question is partially relevant to champion mechanics: When you guys developed the E ability on Shyvanna, what was your goal? Because when i play her and use her E, its pretty animations and it debuffs the enemy, but it doesn't have that nuke power/feeling that you would expect from playing a dragon champion.
Sorry, wasn't involved with Shyvana's design. Couldn't say.

ALSO MaiNtaiN

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkku View Post
Agreed. When I am in a team fight, yes, I have massive utility to pull in the enemy team, but then my damage doesn't feel strong enough in comparison to other APs (maybe if you get to SUPER late game). And with the short range I cant chase or hit with my ball without getting to close for comfort.
well dont forget that all 4 of her spells do aoe damage. A well timed ult and w takes out 1/3 to 1/2 of peoples health depending on your ap and their mr.

Fòx

11-06-2011

I really like Xypherous.

And I think he likes us too!
*blush

AGCrew Bloodwolf

11-06-2011

So if she was supposed to have a pretty good AA AP ratio, does this mean she's supposed to be played as a close-range mage-poker? So AP + Lichbane or something like that?

outfoxxed

11-06-2011

Quote:
See this? This is where we disagree. I never crafted her to remain at a distance - that's why her AA has such high values after AP. It's also the reason why none of her spells have casting animations and you can use them on the move.

True, that does make Orianna unique - but most casters should have something unique about them, no? Brand has his spell combo rotation, Cass has her poisons, Kass is a blinking melee mage.

I mean, it'd be a really bad day if we released a mage who was just utterly.. not unique at all. :x
if only the same theory applied to AD carrys