Season One Draft Order Mistake

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Makbeth

06-21-2010

Please reconsider your draft mode order, it is balanced improperly.

Team 1 must pick a hero first, which (if everything is considered balanced) is a disadvantage because Team 2 will have the opportunity to counter.

To equalize this, Team 1 would conceivably be allowed to pick last, but this is not the case currently. As it is, Team 2 will pick last and thus have the opportunity to counter Team 1's choices every step of the way.

You can fix it now, or you can wait for the logs to prove the statistical conclusion that I have made a very nice living being on the proper side of

Tricolor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2010

deserves a spot on the "best post of bug report forums" pool

still thinking that the "fix ur game" post was better....

maxifer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2010

this needs more attention

Dark Reckoning

06-21-2010

But what if team 1 was team 2 then there wouldn't be an issue.

JeedUnit

06-21-2010

hmm that wouldn't fix anything. I might be wrong, but the problem I've seen is that team 2 can choose 3 counters while team 1 can only choose 2. You see,

T1 gets #1, T2 counters with #2
T2 gets #3, T1 counters with #4
T1 gets #5, T2 counters with #6
T2 gets #7, T1 counters with #8
T1 gets #9, T2 counters with #10

The only real solution I'd see, if the team's total is odd, is to make the two last choices hidden.

Darkdingus

06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeedUnit View Post

The only real solution I'd see, if the team's total is odd, is to make the two last choices hidden.
This ^^

Good idea, and it fixes said issue

tiberiuskirk

06-22-2010

Sure, they can counter your first pick, but you've completely ignored the fact that *you just got first pick*.

You severely underestimate how big a deal that is.

Makbeth

06-22-2010

Unfortunately, there isn't a good place to post this thread. This was the best option.

Dreampod

06-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makbeth View Post
Unfortunately, there isn't a good place to post this thread. This was the best option.
General discussion is a good (and appropriate) place to create a thread discussing the advantages/disadvantages of a particular drafting order. Matt Marcou also replied to your original comment and invited you to open a thread to discuss the subject if you had any background in the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMarcou View Post
Hey Makbeth,

I'm open to hearing some thoughts on statistical analysis if you are a professional statistician or odds maker

I'm not understanding your statement completely though as the draft is done in a standard snake format 1-2-2-2-2-1. My initial thought to your statement is that you are someone who values counter-picking, but maybe does not fully realize the value of ensuring that you get the heroes you want (no one has complete mastery of all the heroes). Furthermore, since the draft alternates the opportunity to counter-pick also alternates back and forth between the 2 teams. Since Team 2 only has one pick at the end, their final attempt to counter is not as strong.

Please let me know if you misread the draft process or misspoke on your comment. Otherwise, I recommend that you start a thread where we can discuss further.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

Follow RiotMarcou on Twitter

06-23-2010
1 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makbeth View Post
Please reconsider your draft mode order, it is balanced improperly.

Team 1 must pick a hero first, which (if everything is considered balanced) is a disadvantage because Team 2 will have the opportunity to counter.

To equalize this, Team 1 would conceivably be allowed to pick last, but this is not the case currently. As it is, Team 2 will pick last and thus have the opportunity to counter Team 1's choices every step of the way.

You can fix it now, or you can wait for the logs to prove the statistical conclusion that I have made a very nice living being on the proper side of
Hey Makbeth,

Great follow up, but can you address some of the questions I posed on my last post:

Quote:
I'm not understanding your statement completely though as the draft is done in a standard snake format 1-2-2-2-2-1. My initial thought to your statement is that you are someone who values counter-picking, but maybe does not fully realize the value of ensuring that you get the heroes you want (no one has complete mastery of all the heroes). Furthermore, since the draft alternates the opportunity to counter-pick also alternates back and forth between the 2 teams. Since Team 2 only has one pick at the end, their final attempt to counter is not as strong.

Please let me know if you misread the draft process or misspoke on your comment. Otherwise, I recommend that you start a thread where we can discuss further.
As it stands, I don't really see a problem with this format and no argument against it exists on the internet from other tournaments or sports that have utilized it.

Keep in mind that with bans, the format looks like this:

[--Bans--Picks---------]
ABBA ABBAABBAAB