@rjcombo: Spectator Idea

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fomenta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2011

So, I was thinking about how the casters sometimes miss big happenings while they're looking at someone last hit creeps. (No hate, they catch much more action than I would).

But think about this:
Since there is a 3 min (or whatever) delay, you "add" a special ping that will trigger on the minimap 15 seconds (or so) before an "event" occurs. That way, the caster who isn't paying attention, or when the teleport gank / nocturne ult comes, the caster will have a 15 second heads up that something is going on. It'd have to have a different sound though, to call out the fact that something is about to happen and differentiate it from a player ping.

You could even add a toggle on the HUD that would center the focus on events if they were more than x distance away from the current viewpoint. (This test would prevent your screen from bouncing around during teamfights where a lot of "events" occur).

You could be pretty creative with what you define as events. At the very minimum, I'd probably call champion deaths events, but you could also add:
-- Baron / Dragon kills
-- Champ loses x% of his HP in y seconds
-- A tower goes down
-- etc

Or, instead of a toggle, maybe a SC2 type thing, where after a "event" ping sounds, you can press a key (like spacebar in SC2) that will take you there.

I don't think this would give any ghoster an advantage, as the delay before the ping would still be significant. Even if there were no delay however, it would not give the player any information that they didn't already have (except in the case of Baron / Dragon).

Anyway, great work on Spectator mode.

boourns

UI Designer

10-19-2011
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Great idea, I passed it on to the dudes working on this.

bl0b

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Great idea, I passed it on to the dudes working on this.
I concur
I would love for this to happen

IS186afbf367d955

10-20-2011

Or you could work right away toward a directed camera mode like in dota 2.

fomenta

10-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epok2 View Post
Or you could work right away toward a directed camera mode like in dota 2.
From everything I've read about that since I've read your post and looked into it, their directed camera mode left a lot to be desired.

boourns

UI Designer

10-20-2011
2 of 2 Riot Posts

I think directed camera can be good for a more passive experience, but too much can happen simultaneously in a game to make an automatic camera the best solution for all cases. No reason why we shouldn't also give people some pointers on when interesting stuff is happening.

I did talk to one of the devs today and it's unfortunately not a trivial feature because of which systems know what and how things get sent to the client, but I think it is a promising idea which will hopefully get done at some point.

Flavored Bait

10-20-2011

D: